4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Maxi pulls to right

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 07:58 AM

Maxi pulls to right

I have a 96SE that is making obvious pull to the right upon acceleration...car does not pull when coasting or taken out of gear. I checked condition of drive shafts (boots are intact and no obvious defects) but I'm guessing that one (probably passenger) axle is the problem?? I never noticed this before, so I don't guess this is normal. Am I correct on diagnosis and need to save up for a new (passenger?) axle? Tires are wearing fine with recent alignment Thanks!!

Last edited by packerZ; 05-05-2009 at 08:00 AM.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i had a smilar problem. the engine had an oil leak that i havent fixed, and the problem is the bushing on the lower control arm, when you raise the car you can see the how the wheel is loose
Old 05-05-2009, 08:19 AM

did u recently get a wheel alignment or tire balance?

if u got the alignment i would say its the axle because i have a similar problem after i replaced a cheap axle

maybe even a strut...did u hit anything with the right front part of your car?
Old 05-05-2009, 10:30 AM
Banned

You do realize that on acceleration, that the non-LSD trans will pull to the right due to the fact only one wheel is putting power to the ground, and thats usually the passenger wheel. Just making sure your aware of this.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Max-e-MO!
You do realize that on acceleration, that the non-LSD trans will pull to the right due to the fact only one wheel is putting power to the ground, and thats usually the passenger wheel. Just making sure your aware of this.
Torque Steer.

Gotta love it.

Makes you remember to hold on tight
Old 05-05-2009, 12:07 PM

Maybe it was always doing this and I just now noticed... ?? Since nobody thinks it is an omen of axle problems, then I guess I will just keep on "hangin' on"! I just wanted to check, Thanks!!!! Doug
Old 05-05-2009, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by fflint_18
Torque Steer.

Gotta love it.

x2 every 4th gen ive drove, pulled to the right
Old 05-05-2009, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by tigersharkdude
agreed
Old 05-05-2009, 03:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Torque-steer AND other questions

I could almost completely steer my manual Jetta w/ the accel pedal. Try it under HARD REVERSE-ACCELERATION, and it can wander everywhere! TS can also be affected by uni-directional tires....

QUESTIONS, GENTLEMEN (Don't get nuts if I could have placed this in another spot, but I've searched). I have a very clean wht 95 manual SE w/ 70K miles (NO wear/replacements except tires).

1. Pulling fuse(s) to allow REAR WINDOWS to RETRACT all way down? I know - a safety feature.
2. Buying (x3) AUTO buttons and replacing buttons in driver's door to allow each window (other than driver's) to retract with one push?
3. Leatherette BRAKE BOOT COVER has dime-sized tear. Dealer wants $100.
4. OEM HOOD SHOCK prices are "shocking" according even to dealer at over $150 each. Been using shocks from Napa parts (made in Turkey!) which might last almost a year before they die - and bring them back for annual warranty replacement. Better idea Bilstein or Tokico?
5. GAS SYSTEM "hums" intermittently on hot days after parking car. Dealer can't hear bec they won't stop talking when trying to diagnose (or car has cooled by time tech gets to diagnose). Replaced cap.

I'd appreciate any tips - THANKS!!

[1995 Maxima SE - Motor Trend's Import Car of the Year - 4DSC]

TIPS - (1) AUTOGLYM "Super Resin Polish" English wax for clearcoats, reg paint and dark colors (NO MORE swirl or haze marks espec on darker colors); (2) Mother's or similar rubber/plastic protectorant, sprayed on paper towels to clean + protect all engine compartment, hoses, etc. Engine looks like new. Wear gloves if you like your desk/office job. Don't use SimpleGreen for this applic.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:15 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

My car has tracked straight without any pulling since the day I bought it.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:21 PM

I second that motion

You are definitely right because there is not an equal amount of force on the front end

Originally Posted by fflint_18
Torque Steer.

Gotta love it.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:38 PM

it really depends on how hard it pulls. I mean, i replaced my passenger with a napa one and it REALLY pulled to the right. I coudln't even hold on for the life of me for the car to go straight. I test drove it around my neighborhood and i had to let go of the gas, turn the wheel left, n then accelerated. Put mine back (mine had a torn boot) and it didn't happen. Again, i'm not sure about the whole pulling to the right thing on how much it's suppose to pull. But if you feel like that your car has not done it before and is doing it now, then something is wrong. my car doesn't pull to the right of left when accelerating, or at least i don't really notice it.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd

My car has tracked straight without any pulling since the day I bought it.

Your not letting those horses out of that car fast enough
Old 05-05-2009, 11:05 PM
Banned

Shoot, I was driving a buddy of mine's Eagle Talon Turbo (Eclipse) one time. Was PO and gunned on it pulling out of a parking lot, and laid it to the floor, the car literay PULLED itself toward the ditch on the right side of the road. Luckily I was smart enough to realize it in time and let off and got the car back under control.

I always felt after that, if ANY car maker was putting turbos on light cars (> 2500ibs), they should have to install LSD on everyone as a standard option!!
Old 05-06-2009, 10:54 AM

Years ago I bought a Citation X-11 with the High output V-6 and it was the worst car I have ever driven for torque steer under WOT. If you were in 1st gear and nailed it, it would just about jerk the steering wheel out of your hand. Ocassionally I will notice a little on both my 95 & 96 Maxima, but it is not bad.
Randy
Old 05-06-2009, 06:42 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by CaliMaxi
Step 1. Post in the correct place: http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...e-posting.html

You may have searched, but you obviously can't read the titles of stickies.

Step 2. I see no questions, only statements. Hell, even some statements with question marks.

Reformulate your post, post in the correct place, and you'll get answers. No need to completely hijack this thread for your benefit.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:47 PM

Lmao, one wheel peel. One of my buddies has almost new tires and his front passenger tire is at least twice as much worn as the others.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:05 PM

i think it's normal. if i let go of the steering wheel, i get a pull to the right also. it's usually only a matter of seconds before i have to pull back on the steeling wheel when letting go so i don't leave the lane i'm driving in.