4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009 | 06:02 AM

Shocks

What's up ya'll,
I'm looking at getting new shocks for my 97 Maxima (I have 130,000 miles on her). I was wondering what would be a good price estimate, before I go shopping around for a price? I live in SAINT PAUL, MN (if that helps)

Thanks,

Akbar
Old 05-06-2009 | 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by akbarrasheed
What's up ya'll,
I'm looking at getting new shocks for my 97 Maxima (I have 130,000 miles on her). I was wondering what would be a good price estimate, before I go shopping around for a price? I live in SAINT PAUL, MN (if that helps)

Thanks,

Akbar

Searching obviously would have done a lot of good for you here. Not only searching the .org, but google as well. O'Riellys, Autozone, Napa, any auto parts store website will have pricing info on there for you.

If you are looking for simply new shocks, to gain better ride and better control(depending on how bad yours are, mine were horrid and i gained a lot of control.) O'Rielly's house brand, master pro is a pretty good choice, thats what i put on my sis's '97 Altima, they have a lifetime warrenty, cant really go wrong with there.

On the other hand, if you are looking to drop your max, then, there are a great number of options you can choose from, again, searching will help tremendously. IMO I would say go with illuminas w/h&r springs. from what I have read they give the most stock feeling ride. However they only give you about 1.25f and 1.5r I think? So nothing too extreme. Just search around and you should find things that will help very much.

Last edited by SrgScott; 05-07-2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old 05-07-2009 | 07:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SrgScott
If you are looking for simply new shocks, to gain better ride and better control(depending on how bad yours are, mine were horrid and i gained a lot of control.) Then i would suggest going with MOOG. Little more expensive but worth it. O'Rielly's house brand, master pro is also a pretty good choice, thats what i put on my sis's '97 Altima, they have a lifetime warrenty just like MOOG, cant really go wrong with either one.
MOOG doesn't make shocks...check out tokico hp or kyb gr2 on ebay - lowest prices and close to oem (a bit more stiff).

check this out: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KYB-4...lenotsupported

or: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOKIC...lenotsupported

Last edited by allensteiner21; 05-07-2009 at 07:46 AM.
Old 05-07-2009 | 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by SrgScott
Searching obviously would have done a lot of good for you here. Not only searching the .org, but google as well. O'Riellys, Autozone, Napa, any auto parts store website will have pricing info on there for you.

If you are looking for simply new shocks, to gain better ride and better control(depending on how bad yours are, mine were horrid and i gained a lot of control.) Then i would suggest going with MOOG.
I love folks who jump over other people about searching, then give bad information...Moog Shocks??
To the OP. Definitely search, but also determine your needs, then go from there. Are you going performance or factory replacement?
Popular struts/shocks/springs include HR, Tockico and KYB combos. Tein as well. Check the classifieds as well.
Old 05-07-2009 | 10:13 PM

Some may find this horrific but I've been considering getting Monroe Quick Struts. These are complete with "new" springs, upper bearings, boots, mounts and, of course, the struts.

I'm sure most performance-minded folks don't have much respect for Monroe but I am looking at it from a price/ease of install point of view. Don't have to break out the spring compressor or anything. The whole assembly is $150 from Rockauto.

If you're looking for a close-to-stock ride without the expense of OEM, then these are winners IMO.
Old 05-09-2009 | 07:53 AM

stock oem- go with monroe or the dealer

stock replacement- the most most commonly used kyb gr2

want to hug the ground while driving- tein s techs with tokico illuminas
Old 05-09-2009 | 01:53 PM

After doing a large amount of research, the general feedback was to go with KYB GR2s. I replaced the shocks at about 160k miles along with the control arms and bushings. I haven't looked back since. It was by far the best money I've spent on my car. It feels brand new and I couldn't believe how long I've been driving around on a worn-out suspension with sloppy handling. For what it's worth, it seemed ebay had the best pricing.