4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

filling spoiler holes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2001, 01:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

filling spoiler holes?

I took my spoiler off and wanted to see how it looks without a spoiler. It's different that's for sure. Anyway, my trunk is kind of messed up anyway, so I took the car to a bodyshop asking how much would it cost to repaint the trunk and fill up the holes. The guy there said he can't fill up the holes because the holes are too big. WTH? He said if he fill it up, it won't last. Is he right? Or should bring to another bodyshop and see what they could do? If it can't be done, then I'll just put the spoiler back on. I know I could go to a junkyard and find a non SE trunk, but then I would have to pay for the trunk and then pay for the paint. Ideas?
Old 11-22-2001, 02:16 PM

Re: filling spoiler holes?

Originally posted by Cumalot
I took my spoiler off and wanted to see how it looks without a spoiler. It's different that's for sure. Anyway, my trunk is kind of messed up anyway, so I took the car to a bodyshop asking how much would it cost to repaint the trunk and fill up the holes. The guy there said he can't fill up the holes because the holes are too big. WTH? He said if he fill it up, it won't last. Is he right? Or should bring to another bodyshop and see what they could do? If it can't be done, then I'll just put the spoiler back on. I know I could go to a junkyard and find a non SE trunk, but then I would have to pay for the trunk and then pay for the paint. Ideas?
If you have amps in your trunk, just drill more holes in your trunk, making a "Type-R" or "VTEC" pattern. Call them "trunk cooling" holes. Also, don't drive when it's raining. Actually, move your car to a cool, dry place where it doesn't rain at all.
Old 11-22-2001, 02:36 PM

Right...

The body shop should be able to fix those holes. I don't understand why they say it wont last either. The holes should not be that big at all. Im not a autobody expert but that sounds funny to me too.

If this was to be true, your best bet is to go to a junk yard and pick up a trunk w/o spoiler and ahve it repainted.
Old 11-22-2001, 04:27 PM

Spoiler holes shouldn't be "filled" with bondo but welded with small metal plates. Many body shops are lazy and would rather just bondo the holes. This method would most likely fall apart. An alternative is to look for a junyard trunk lid from a GLE or GXE that is the same color. This should be cheaper considering the cost of paint/labor plus the fact that you can sell your old one w/the spoiler. Think about it.
Old 11-22-2001, 04:41 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Cumalot.... Another idea... I am sure there is a bunch of 95-96 people out there with superblack GXEs or GLEs without spoilers who would actually like one Just trade trunk lids.... If not, I also think they should be able to fill them in, Body shops do crazier **** to cars then just filling in spoiler holes... find another body shop.
Old 11-22-2001, 04:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm going to stop by the junkyard tomorrow and see if there's any 95-96 Maximas around. Hopefully, there's one in superblack.

I kind of like the non spoiler look. I had the spoiler since I bought the car new in '96. So, if I could find a non SE trunk lid, then this spoiler will by for sale.
Old 11-22-2001, 10:27 PM

Re: Re: filling spoiler holes?

Originally posted by justmax

If you have amps in your trunk, just drill more holes in your trunk, making a "Type-R" or "VTEC" pattern. Call them "trunk cooling" holes. Also, don't drive when it's raining. Actually, move your car to a cool, dry place where it doesn't rain at all.
ROTFL!
Old 11-23-2001, 06:10 AM

Are you going to sell the spoiler and trunk lid? If so I might be interested.
Old 11-23-2001, 10:41 AM

Just curious which spoiler you had on there before you removed it. Was it a stock spoiler, or did you purchase an aftermarket one?

oh yea, you might ask cheston your question about filling the holes. I think he has had something like 658461320305400467961 different wings. LoL.
Old 11-23-2001, 11:04 AM
MaximaRversion2

Re: filling spoiler holes?

Originally posted by Cumalot
i wish i could help ya , but i just got a wing installed this week... but my trunk was red, but hey , i figured maybe the black would look like a carbon fibre trunk lid ?