4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Power Windows Are Confused?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 03:27 PM

Power Windows Are Confused?

My 95 SE has been away since September because of an accident I had late last summer. The car is finally put back together, but I noticed that my two rear window switches seem to operate in the reverse of each other.

The rear passenger switch moves the rear driver, and vice versa. Any thoughts?
Old 05-07-2009, 03:31 PM
No more Maximas...

That's...interesting.

The only thing I can imagine is that you swapped the switches out from side to side, and when they communicate they're sending signals to a specific LCU ID...but only one data line goes to each side of the car.

Did you mess with any of the wiring when you were putting it back together? Where was the accident?
Old 05-07-2009, 03:34 PM

mixed wires up.!?
Old 05-07-2009, 04:56 PM

The accident was in the front (not terribly bad, and all cosmetic), but I put the car away from then since I wouldn't have been driving it in the winter anyway.

They bodyshop didn't touch anything in the interior of the car, and to the best of my knowledge everything was perfectly fine (with regards to electronics) when I left the car. I tested out everything after the accident to see if I had any quirks then, and it was fine.

I told them when the car is sitting to keep the negative terminal disconnected to avoid draining the battery if they happen to leave a door ajar or something. They did well with that, and the battery lasted all through the winter. Now that everything is back together, I'm having this window issue...I'm thinking maybe the master switch on the driverside is messed up?
Old 05-07-2009, 10:02 PM

Could you add a little more detail to your description? I don't have a clear picture as to what's going on.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:15 PM

My guess is that you messed something up with the wiring. Or as what pmohr said it might be that you swapped the switches out from side to side.

Last edited by thomatt12; 06-01-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:58 AM

Nothing was touched in terms of wiring. So having switches, wiring, etc moved is impossible since nothing was moved.

Even still, there is nothing in the passenger window switches that decide which window it moves specifically. The ONLY switch that can do that is the driver switch, since that controls central locking and window functions.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:53 AM
Kevlo for President

Swap the switches and see if it fixes it
Old 05-08-2009, 12:34 PM

Even still, there is nothing in the passenger window switches that decide which window it moves specifically.I'm not convinced that this is true at least based on the schematics the switches appear to be "smart" and communicate with the BCM to function.

If the switches look identical left to right but are, in fact, "smart" then you would expect there to be a LH or RH molded into some part of the switch housing. If this is the case then if the switches were reversed then they would control the opposite window. So Kevlo had an interesting idea in that regard, I might try it myself just for the hell of it.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:41 PM

Ok, I just read my original post, and i wasn't clear on one thing.

The problems I'm experiencing only occur from the driver switch. The rear right controls the rear left window, and vice versa. If I'm sitting in the back seat, then each switch controls its respective window with no difficulties. The problem is only present when using the driverside switch.

On my 99 GLE, I just tried switching the two rear switches around, and although the plugs fit, and the switches fit into the doors....there is obviously something different because after i swapped them, the rear windows wouldn't move at all. After swapping them back to their original spots.....they went back to working just fine.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:25 PM

That is a strange problem, the switches in the drivers door do not control the rear windows directly they send a signal by the data lines to the BCM and the BCM sends signals to the rear window switches to open the windows. Try this procedure to reset the BCM memory. This from FSM page EL-207

1) When LCU connectors are disconnected for more than 1 minute such as during trouble diagnoses,
the “disconnected” data will be memorized by the BCM. Therefore, after reconnecting the LCU connectors, erase the memory.
2) To erase the memory, perform the procedure below.
Erase the memory with CONSULT (refer to EL-170) or turn the ignition switch to “OFF” position and remove 7.5A fuse (No. 56 , located in the fuse and fusible link box).
Old 05-08-2009, 06:57 PM

If above does not help you may want to try the IVMS (LAN) on board diagnostic procedure FSM page EL-175. It seems a little complicated but could lead you in the right direction. This problem does not appear to be as simple as a reversed wire or switch, more likely a problem with the BCM memory or the BCM itself.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:51 PM

Thanks man, I was thinking the same thing about the BCM being confused. The battery was connected and disconnected a few times while the car was in the shop. Generally, computer components don't take kindly to that. I have the FSM, and I'll be checking out those pages you mentioned.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:29 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

I did the same thing to my dads old 96. I never figured it out but had a feeling it was something in the bcm.