4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Clutch pedal stuck to floor!!!...=\

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2001, 03:23 PM

Clutch pedal stuck to floor!!!...=\

Sup everyone im new this this forum but i do own a max and this is the place for me to be...the problem is a few days ago i was driving and the clutch pedal stayed to the floor when i went to start the car..i had to life the pedal up with my foot because there was no compression in the pedal to come up by itself...i was wondering if anyone has had this problem or knows what i can do to prevent it..do i need a whole new clutch??? a friend of mine told me it was the clutch master cylinder i dunno im stumped..any help will be appreciated thanks jon
Old 11-22-2001, 04:07 PM

Re: Clutch pedal stuck to floor!!!...=\

Originally posted by ODDJoB
Sup everyone im new this this forum but i do own a max and this is the place for me to be...the problem is a few days ago i was driving and the clutch pedal stayed to the floor when i went to start the car..i had to life the pedal up with my foot because there was no compression in the pedal to come up by itself...i was wondering if anyone has had this problem or knows what i can do to prevent it..do i need a whole new clutch??? a friend of mine told me it was the clutch master cylinder i dunno im stumped..any help will be appreciated thanks jon
This happens because you are low on fluid. This usually happens when either your master or slave cylinder fails.. The entire clutch springgyness is based on the pressure plate.. When you push your pedal down it pushes a piston inside your master cylinder.. This piston moves fluid through your line and fills the slave. The slave is sorta the same as the master and a piston inside it pushes on the fork (which is a lever pushing) this lever pushes against the pressure plate.. When you let off on the clutch the pressure plate pushes back and in reverse your clutch pedal comes out.. So if you find you have fluid the either the master or the slave is damaged.. Non-The-Less if you are low on fluid one of these 2 items is about to fail. You will see fluid around the one that is faulty.
Old 11-22-2001, 06:13 PM
Granny Driven

Re: Re: Clutch pedal stuck to floor!!!...=\

Originally posted by cbr2

This happens because you are low on fluid. This usually happens when either your master or slave cylinder fails.. The entire clutch springgyness is based on the pressure plate.. When you push your pedal down it pushes a piston inside your master cylinder.. This piston moves fluid through your line and fills the slave. The slave is sorta the same as the master and a piston inside it pushes on the fork (which is a lever pushing) this lever pushes against the pressure plate.. When you let off on the clutch the pressure plate pushes back and in reverse your clutch pedal comes out.. So if you find you have fluid the either the master or the slave is damaged.. Non-The-Less if you are low on fluid one of these 2 items is about to fail. You will see fluid around the one that is faulty.
Where are the cylenders. IS the tranny have to removed to fix it.
Old 11-22-2001, 07:00 PM

english 101
Old 11-22-2001, 08:40 PM
ybelm620

Freind with an eclipse has the same problem, and had to change his slave cylinder.

Old 11-22-2001, 09:38 PM

Re: Re: Re: Clutch pedal stuck to floor!!!...=\

Originally posted by 190hpKiLLA

Where are the cylenders. IS the tranny have to removed to fix it.
Slave=On the top of the tranny.. Outside.. Takes 1 hr. to change
Master=right next to brake master cylinder(when you open the hood against the firewall right infront of where you sit.
Old 11-23-2001, 07:11 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Clutch pedal stuck to floor!!!...=\

Slave=On the top of the tranny.. Outside.. Takes 1 hr. to change
Master=right next to brake master cylinder(when you open the hood against the firewall right infront of where you sit.
let me put it in simpler words for ya hehe... if you look at where the clutch is connected to, and open up the hood...and look right where u think the clutch connects to you'll see a little bottle thas has fluid in it. it's not the break fluid bottle hehe... that's the master cylinder. it's connected with green metalic lines. add more fluid (brake) and bleed your clutch, then u are done.
Old 03-07-2002, 11:48 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Clutch pedal stuck to floor!!!...=\

Originally posted by AznStevie

let me put it in simpler words for ya hehe... if you look at where the clutch is connected to, and open up the hood...and look right where u think the clutch connects to you'll see a little bottle thas has fluid in it. it's not the break fluid bottle hehe... that's the master cylinder. it's connected with green metalic lines. add more fluid (brake) and bleed your clutch, then u are done.

Hey, what happens if:

Suppose the pedal gets stuck and it is low in fluid(clutch). I added a little fluid in and the clutch pedal became stiffer and it doesn't get stuck anymore but the car still won't get into gear. I leave the car for a week or so and then when pressing on the clutch again after a week, the clutch pedal became stuck again. It was dark so I couldn't check the fluid level at that time. I was about to bleed the clutch that day when I had added the fluid and the clutch pedal became stiff but at that time the weather was too cold. Anyhow, do you suspect I have a leak on my master or slave cylinder or do you think I need to bleed the clutch as soon as possible?

* sorry for the incorrect grammar and what not....
Old 03-07-2002, 11:54 PM

whoa! this was one of the first threads ive posted way back in november bringing it back from the dead huh..anyway i still have the same problem because i was too lazy to fix it i have a small hole in the line running from where you put the brake fluid in so like once a month i have to pour some more fluid into it or it will stick to the floor again..you should try looking at that first and take it from there..

jon
Old 03-07-2002, 11:59 PM

whoa! this was one of the first threads ive posted way back in november bringing it back from the dead huh..anyway i still have the same problem because i was too lazy to fix it i have a small hole in the line running from where you put the brake fluid in so like once a month i have to pour some more fluid into it or it will stick to the floor again..you should try looking at that first and take it from there..

jon

So if you bleed the clutch, you can get the car into gear.

So what happen like for instance in your case where you "have to fix the small hole in the line running from where you put brake fluid". You said that you have to pour some more fluid into it once a month, so does that mean you have to bleed the clutch again when pouring some more fluid in once a month?
Old 03-08-2002, 12:18 AM

no i dont let it get to that point i check it every once in a while for the fluid level and it goes down slightly nothing dramatic that would cause all the brake fluid to flow out...so basically i just monitor the fluid levels before i get to that point where it does infact stick to the floor again
Old 03-08-2002, 02:07 AM

Re: Re: Clutch pedal stuck to floor!!!...=\

OddJob this is definitly your problem. Most people think that there is a spring mechanism for the clutch but its really a piston and fluid. You need a new clutch master clynider (or possibly slave cylinder). A normal auto shop would probably do it for around $200. (parts and labor)
Old 03-08-2002, 05:02 AM

haha...damn 200? exp...it's not too bad doing it yourself..just remove the cruise control, and then disconnect the green line that is attach to the master cylinder then take the 2 nuts off, the master cylinder should be loose..now, there is a pin that holds the clutch pedal and the fork from master cylinder together, so just take that off, and the whole master cylinder should come off hehe... last time i check master cylinder is about 70 bux good luck!
Old 03-08-2002, 08:08 AM

no i dont let it get to that point i check it every once in a while for the fluid level and it goes down slightly nothing dramatic that would cause all the brake fluid to flow out...so basically i just monitor the fluid levels before i get to that point where it does infact stick to the floor again
Is there any danger in this? Or should you have it fixed for safety reasons?

SuDZ
Old 03-08-2002, 09:40 AM
syc

Slave has a higher chance of failing than Master. I guess the slave is on the bottom of the car and snow, water, and salt might affect the slave. not sure about maxima cause i got the auto.
Chances of there is a hole in the line is very small and ofcourse you can check it yourself. if it's not the fluid causing the problem, I suggest replacing the cylinder(slave or master) right at this point cause the cylinder gonna eventually completely fail in a year or so (just from my experience of my 240SX and friends).
Well, how do you know the Slave or Master is bad? I don't know. My friend and I took out the both the cylinders (from both cars) and can't determine which one was bad. I end up buying both of them and found the slave was bad. Cost? nothing for the install and $150 for both master and slave for my 240SX.
Old 03-08-2002, 11:31 PM

thanks brian but this was a problem i had way back in november that i have taken care of since then and replaced the slave and master cylinder...i guess someone used the search function and brought it back up from the dead...but hey if it helps him out more power too him..as for sudz replacing the new hose line only cost 40 bucks im just being a lazy *** and not doing it ....but if the fluid levels do go down all the way the clutch will stick to the floor again..then you will have to pour more brake fluid in and bleed it..

jon