4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Stuck caliper pins

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 09:25 AM

Stuck caliper pins

I've tried Liquid Wrench on the pins and even tool the brake mount off and using a vice tried to dislodge the square head of pin, nothing doing.

Does that product PB Blaster make any difference?

Damn the salt in Canada does a job on the pins. Changed brakes almost two years ago, a good maintenance chore is regreasing pins once a year.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:08 AM

PB Blaster in my opinion is the best penetrating oil there is. I live in Pittsburgh and they love to throw salt on the roads in the winter because of the hilly terrain. I use PB Blaster all of the time, and I can definitely say it works better than WD40, but I have no experience with Liquid Wrench.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:54 PM

Blaster is much better than WD-40, look for a product call Deep Creep by Sea Foam or a product called Kroil or Aerokroil all excellence penetrating fluids. You are likely to still need some heat via mapp gas or the like. I had one freeze up on my '97 a couple of years back. Heat and vise grips. And then pack the darn things with syn. brake grease.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:26 PM

Well someone told me heat and immediately throw cold water on it.

I just hope don't melt the rubber boot on the pin.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

if it's that seized, replace the bracket & pins. you didn't say, but i bet you're working on the rear. if so, that's where the pins usually seize. if you catch the problem early enough
you can save the pins & brackets. but when heat is needed, it's usually better to replace the parts so that they can still function properly. if you free it without heat, try to clean the slide hole thoroughly and use synthetic caliper grease. g/l
Old 05-10-2009, 11:19 PM

if someone knows, i'd liek to know too. I think i spent 2-3 hours trying to get it off, i just said screw it and ordered new calipers with mounting brackets cause the just the mounting brackets were only like $20 cheaper than calipers with mounting brackets..heh
Old 05-11-2009, 07:23 AM

I bought replacement calipers and it came with new pins and stuff for about $45 after the core refund.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by nitromax
if it's that seized, replace the bracket & pins. you didn't say, but i bet you're working on the rear. if so, that's where the pins usually seize. if you catch the problem early enough
you can save the pins & brackets. but when heat is needed, it's usually better to replace the parts so that they can still function properly. if you free it without heat, try to clean the slide hole thoroughly and use synthetic caliper grease. g/l
Well the PB Blaster is available in Canada now ans will try that. About cleaning the slide hole I would usually use brake cleaner but someone informed me not to clean the rubber boots with it?

I got quoted $32 CND for rear brakets $108 with calipers, and $40 for front mounts, $58 with calipers. I'll pass on the calipers as it would require bleeding the brake lines and have never tried that. Will one day. It is essential to replace calipers in pairs?

Well I will service the pins annually in future.

I can borrow a caliper tool for the rear but I heard there is a special ratchet attachement tool that does the trick. Anyone have infor or a picture?

Last edited by holymoly; 05-11-2009 at 08:15 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by holymoly
Well the PB Blaster is available in Canada now ans will try that. About cleaning the slide hole I would usually use brake cleaner but someone informed me not to clean the rubber boots with it?

I got quoted $32 CND for rear brakets $108 with calipers, and $40 for front mounts, $58 with calipers. I'll pass on the calipers as it would require bleeding the brake lines and have never tried that. Will one day. It is essential to replace calipers in pairs?

Well I will service the pins annually in future.

I can borrow a caliper tool for the rear but I heard there is a special ratchet attachement tool that does the trick. Anyone have infor or a picture?
don't use it on rubber boots cause it'll eat away at the rubber boots. You can order from rockauto.com and it seems to be the cheapest for me. Since those prices are in canadian, i do'nt feel like looking up the price in the us but it seems like the calipers with brackets are overpriced by $40 according to rockauto. Yes, replace calipers in pairs. Some people don't, but it just winds up being uneven wear on left and right side most of the time. I do'nt know about just the mounting bracket though, not sure if its feasible just to replace one side of the bracket.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:16 PM
nycmaximas member

I second that recommendation about getting the new calipers... If your gonna get the bracket its not too much more for the complete set... And they have all new hardware including the rubbers that goes on the pins... usually when that suckers rusted in there then its done...