4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Bose Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 10:22 PM

Bose Problems

My Bose system in my '96 SE is about 98% shot and is p1ssing me off more and more as each day goes by.

I'm pretty sure I've got the most common symptoms described by some of the other members in past threads. My CD player hasn't worked for a couple years now - it won't accept CD's and even shuts off my radio from time to time. The display is out, which it sounds like an easy fix, but I've put it off long enough to make due with it.

But I've come across something that I didn't really see anybody else having problems with. When I start my car, my radio will play for about a 5 second interval and then makes a static-like noise and cuts out. The unit is still on (it doesn't power down) but I can't hear anything for about 10 seconds. The music will come on intermittently, but usually for no more than a few seconds, in which it makes the static noise again and doesn't play any music. Even when I turn the volume completely down I can still hear the static noise in the speakers.

This annoys me, but the thing that really drives me crazy is when I press the Power button to shut the unit down and I hear these clicking noises coming from what sounds like the passenger side door speaker. The clicks are very frequent, and sound like the noise I hear when the "CD ERR" message comes up.

I just want the damn thing to die already - I'd rather ride in complete silence than have to listen to all these stupid noises. Should I just remove the system or does anyone think it can be repaired?
Old 05-11-2009, 04:45 AM

It probably could be repaired, but its a question of cost. You could get a new headunit and speakers for what it would cost to have someone troubleshoot and repair your Bose system. You don't have to spend $1000 bucks on car audio. I'm thinking you could get yourself setup with new equipment for around 250 or less.

There are about a dozen car stereos on crutchfield.com for under 100 bucks. Names like JVC, Kenwood, Clarion, and Pioneer (<- recommended). Replacing the headunit menas you will have to get a level converter to use the stock Bose speakers, but while you are there, might as well upgrade those too, if your budget permits.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:48 AM
No more Maximas...

If you're looking to keep the Bose system, just get another headunit. You can get them for relatively cheap.

You could also upgrade to the Pathfinder or Z33 6 disc bose setup, plug and play.

Or just go with whatever aftermarket you want, but it's all really up to you.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by pmohr
If you're looking to keep the Bose system, just get another headunit. You can get them for relatively cheap.

You could also upgrade to the Pathfinder or Z33 6 disc bose setup, plug and play.

Or just go with whatever aftermarket you want, but it's all really up to you.
That is probably the most cost effective solution. Especially if there is a you-pull-it junk yard nearby.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:33 PM

I would take the radio apart and look for bad solder joints but I'm kinda fanatical that way. If you don't know what a bad solder joint looks like then never mind, though it's really not that difficult to learn.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:19 AM

Sounds like your system is pretty much dead. I'd just replace the head unit with a basic single din deck with MP3 compatibility and USB input. You can link it to your stock bose system with a Bose adapter and that'll solve your issues.

The clicking noise that you keep hearing are the relays turning the bose amps on and off.

IF you just don't want to put any money into it at all, then Just pull the fuse out.