4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Audi A6 retro - help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 12:30 AM

Audi A6 retro - help needed.

GOAL:
to be done with my retrofit, at the very latest, by the end of July. here's my tools so far:

A6 bi-xenon projectors.
plug-and-play HID kit.
wiring harness from www.theretrofitsource.com.

very simple, very novice.

it would be helpful to see what other people used for shrouds and bezels.
i also plan on adding eagle eyes or CCFLs to my retro for a really sick job.

if anyone knows of (or wouldn't mind posting) a write-up for A6 bi-x's in 4th gen housings, please let me know! thanks!

-tyler

EDIT: I will be updating this post semi-regularly to let everyone know how far along i am in the retro. just found out i'm the first person in my area to do an HID retrofit! at least, noone at tonight's meet knows of anyone. here's my progress:

1. Got my projectors and kit from TSoprano. DONE.
2. Had to modify the igniter clips on the A6's, eBay ballasts aren't 100% with fitment. DONE.
3. Wired everything up for a test run, works beautifully! DONE.
4. Buy wiring harness from www.theretrofitsource.com. DONE.

Up next: (May have all this done by Friday... Ok...probably not, but I might as well try!)
- Buy supplies/hardware needed for retro.
- Get started with retrofitting!

Last edited by tyler5619; 05-31-2009 at 08:46 AM.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Look for theblue. He did this years ago but there is bodywork needed to make everything look right.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:37 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by tyler5619
Before anyone calls

i have searched for literally 4 hours. i'm looking for a full, detailed write-up on how to retrofit the A6 bixenon projectors into our 4th gen housings.

i saw several "general" write-ups, but nothing i found greatly helpful. and yes, i've checked HIDplanet, but nobody has a write-up on a 4th gen maxima there.

i need several pics! this is my first go-around, and i want to be as thorough as possible. i have until the end of july to get where i want to be with this project, but the sooner i get started, the better!

GOAL:
here's my tools so far:

A6 bi-xenon projectors
plug-and-play HID kit.

very simple, very novice.

it would be helpful to see what other people used for shrouds and bezels. i also plan on adding eagle eyes or CCFLs to my retro for a really sick job.

if anyone knows of (or wouldn't mind posting) a write-up for A6 bi-x's in 4th gen housings, please let me know! thanks!

-tyler
Not sure there is a full detailed step by step write up with tons of pics for any retro. Ive never seen one.
Most have posted up their parts, and a couple of pics of the modded housings with cutoff shots but not a step by step how to.
Some things you just have to figure out on your on and learn from research and experience.

Originally Posted by deezo
Look for theblue. He did this years ago but there is bodywork needed to make everything look right.
Yeah, but he didnt do a retro in 4th gen housings. His setup was a complete headlight swap. Nor did he do a full detailed write up. In fact, theres only a post or two that actually had pics of his finsihed setup.

Last edited by Flava_24/7; 05-28-2009 at 06:42 AM.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
Not sure there is a full detailed step by step write up with tons of pics for any retro. Ive never seen one.
Most have posted up their parts, and a couple of pics of the modded housings with cutoff shots but not a step by step how to.
Some things you just have to figure out on your on and learn from research and experience.
yeah that would be good enough, but i haven't found any with Audi's. most are e46, tl, fx, etc. a6's are a little different in shape, and thus require a different approach.

i could be wrong though...like i said i'm a novice lol
Old 05-28-2009, 10:55 AM
Boosted Panda

yeah that would be good enough, but i haven't found any with Audi's. most are e46, tl, fx, etc. a6's are a little different in shape, and thus require a different approach.

i could be wrong though...like i said i'm a novice lol
But its the same principal for any retro. You just have to trim and continue to test fit as you go for fitment.
Finding a bezel to fit just requires knowing what size the lens is and go from there.
You need to do more research.
The A6 projector is a Hella E55 projector with a 3" lens, same one used in the 04-06 Maximas.
Now search for E55 projectors.......

Last edited by Flava_24/7; 05-28-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:34 AM
Whatchyou say?

But its the same principal for any retro. You just have to trim and continue to test fit as you go for fitment.
Finding a bezel to fit just requires knowing what size the lens is and go from there.You need to do more reasearch.

You don't need to trim the projectors (like the FX35) and like Flava says .... gotta trim a little at a time and keep test fitting. It's a time consuming process and you have to use your imagination when it comes to finding bezels. People have used everything from kitchen bowls (cut out the center of a metal bowl) to standard resessed (? spelling lol) light fixtures.

When I did my retro, I posted a thread asking what others used for bezels, got several responses. IIRC, the thread title was "which bezel did you use" .... search is your friend.

Also ... you mentioned a 'p n p' kit ... you can do that, but you're much better off making (or I can make you) a harness with relays and fuses. It will prolong the life of your ballasts and give you protection against burning up a non-fused ballast. A few weeks ago (can't recall the member, sorry) a member posted about leaving his lights on, needed a jump, and blew his ballasts - stock p n p set up. Just a bit of a heads up to be carefull.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:43 PM

tyler, do you know jeremiah at advanced in the buro?? If not, ride by there tell him you know me, and talk to him.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by JtzMax

You don't need to trim the projectors (like the FX35) and like Flava says .... gotta trim a little at a time and keep test fitting. It's a time consuming process and you have to use your imagination when it comes to finding bezels. People have used everything from kitchen bowls (cut out the center of a metal bowl) to standard resessed (? spelling lol) light fixtures.

When I did my retro, I posted a thread asking what others used for bezels, got several responses. IIRC, the thread title was "which bezel did you use" .... search is your friend.

Also ... you mentioned a 'p n p' kit ... you can do that, but you're much better off making (or I can make you) a harness with relays and fuses. It will prolong the life of your ballasts and give you protection against burning up a non-fused ballast. A few weeks ago (can't recall the member, sorry) a member posted about leaving his lights on, needed a jump, and blew his ballasts - stock p n p set up. Just a bit of a heads up to be carefull.
I agree, but you can still use the kit. I used the Umnitza kit on mine (i created my own harness, but as far as the bulbs, ballasts, and some of the plugs, you can reuse them) I would highly suggest creating your own wiring harness as if anything goes wrong, you will know how to fix it.

OP, you don't need a full detailed write-up, just search around HIDPlanet if you haven't already. You will be able to get some mounting techniques, wiring diagrams, and the like. Then create a plan, then follow it.

Good luck!
Old 05-28-2009, 07:54 PM

Go to HIDPlanet.com forums Vehicle retro database
and scroll down to Maxima Retrofit section. There's a bunch of 4th gen write ups that are helpful..
Old 05-28-2009, 10:11 PM

Any updates with this one? I am also thinking of doing a retrofit HID conversion on my Maxima.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:14 PM

The A6 projector is a Hella E55 projector with a 3" lens
wow, i can't believe i didn't already know this. this makes EVERYTHING so much easier! i didn't see that on HIDPlanet. Thanks!!!

you're much better off making (or I can make you) a harness with relays and fuses.
thanks for your input! i figured that would be helpful, but it's way too much work for me, lol... how much would you charge for that? and yeah, i saw that thread, but i never leave my lights on haha

Originally Posted by Coolsaber57
search around HIDPlanet if you haven't already. You will be able to get some mounting techniques, wiring diagrams, and the like. Then create a plan, then follow it.
thank you so much! i am good at writing up plans, i'm just not where i want to be with resources. i am addicted to HIDPlanet, but never figured everything out...at least until...

Originally Posted by TSoprano
Go to HIDPlanet.com forums Vehicle retro database
and scroll down to Maxima Retrofit section. There's a bunch of 4th gen write ups that are helpful..
wow! i have never seen this. that is fantastic! i should have everything i need to know now.

THANK YOU SO MUCH, everyone, for your help. i can't wait to have this done and post a finished product. possibly even a write-up!
Old 05-29-2009, 08:57 PM

wow, i can't believe i didn't already know this. this makes EVERYTHING so much easier! i didn't see that on HIDPlanet. Thanks!!!

thanks for your input! i figured that would be helpful, but it's way too much work for me, lol... how much would you charge for that? and yeah, i saw that thread, but i never leave my lights on haha

thank you so much! i am good at writing up plans, i'm just not where i want to be with resources. i am addicted to HIDPlanet, but never figured everything out...at least until...

wow! i have never seen this. that is fantastic! i should have everything i need to know now.

THANK YOU SO MUCH, everyone, for your help. i can't wait to have this done and post a finished product. possibly even a write-up!
lol, well, once you finish, then see if you feel like posting a write-up.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:10 PM

anyone know how to use an old 9004 bulb to make a wiring harness for the ballasts?

i want to make it so that i can plug the bulb base into the OEM wiring harness, but have the bulb hacked to where it supplies power to the ballast and biX solenoid. is this okay to do? i know it's recommended to use fuses and relays, but can i get away with this?
Old 05-30-2009, 11:52 PM

anyone know how to use an old 9004 bulb to make a wiring harness for the ballasts?

i want to make it so that i can plug the bulb base into the OEM wiring harness, but have the bulb hacked to where it supplies power to the ballast and biX solenoid. is this okay to do? i know it's recommended to use fuses and relays, but can i get away with this?
That's not really a good way to do it.... Just buy a female 9004 plug from Advanced auto or eBay.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:31 AM
Whatchyou say?

You really should fuse the harness .... it could potentialy save your ballast in the future. Also, Coolsaber is right, just buy a male 9004 end. (the female end is what you plug the bulb into - stock harness)

There's a reason to use relays and fuses, it's not just for looks.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:37 AM

alright cool. i just bought a wiring harness from www.theretrofitsource.com complete with fuses, relays, stickers, lol...the works.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:49 PM

You really should fuse the harness .... it could potentialy save your ballast in the future. Also, Coolsaber is right, just buy a male 9004 end. (the female end is what you plug the bulb into - stock harness)

There's a reason to use relays and fuses, it's not just for looks.
lol, you're right.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:05 PM

in for the pics... tyler are you goin to Maxus09??
Old 06-01-2009, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by TSoprano
in for the pics... tyler are you goin to Maxus09??
where is it?
Old 06-01-2009, 04:11 PM

Waldorf, MD - June 26-28

http://www.maxus09.com/
Old 06-01-2009, 04:33 PM

prolly not...TN is hella far. lol