4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Keyless Entry Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 08:16 PM

Keyless Entry Issues

I have a 98 Maxima and I'm wondering if my new remote is no good or if it's the keyless entry module that's going bad.

Basically with the original stock remote, there were periods where it appeared that the battery was going out (buttons periodically not working). But before the battery could be replaced, the remote fell and stopped working completely. I replaced the batteries and it still did not work.

My new remote is not OEM and has been programmed (somewhat fun process by the way), however it appears to have the most difficulty with locking (similar to before). It will sporadically lock, but at times even the unlock and trunk buttons won't work. Distance seems to be an issue too, which I blame on the remote.

Is anyone familiar enough with any keyless entry system to comfortably say it's the new remote or the module? Also, does anyone know where the module is located, I haven't been able to find anything on the site or via web searches.

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2009, 08:37 PM
No more Maximas...

I had some of the same issues with my stock keyless entry remotes, eventually got tired of it and threw in a remote start. Never did get around to diagnosing what the problem was, really.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:11 AM

Thanks for the location. I was debating the remote start too. Everyone I ask says they've seen these symptoms before in other cars, but never went into figuring out why. I guess I'll be the guinea pig to see if it's the module or just bad luck (as in the new remote is poop). I'll report back once I get a replacement module.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:08 AM

not tryin to hi jack thread but out of curiousity...

when i purchased my car i only recieved the key...the previous owner was a drunk and lost the remote entry...i was wondering if i were to buy a keylesss entry from ebay how hard are they to get in working order...just because its never as easy as 10 minutes or less.. or is it?
Old 06-03-2009, 11:26 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by KyleFort32
not tryin to hi jack thread but out of curiousity...

when i purchased my car i only recieved the key...the previous owner was a drunk and lost the remote entry...i was wondering if i were to buy a keylesss entry from ebay how hard are they to get in working order...just because its never as easy as 10 minutes or less.. or is it?
Depends. Have you checked for the MRCU yet? If you have it, should be as simple as programming a new keyfob.