4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Changing gauge cluster

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 03:10 AM

Changing gauge cluster

Some time ago the odometer froze on my 95. Not a major issue, I will never sell this car so I'm not worried about accurate reading.

Before I had my 95 I had a 98 SE. Obviously that's a much nicer instrument cluster. It also had a digital odometer instead of the mechanical one.

My question is this, if I pull one from a junkyard and installed it, will the digital odometer show the mileage of the donor car or will it reset to 0? Other than mileage discrepancies would it pretty much be a straight swap?
Old 06-07-2009, 03:17 AM

Miles will not reset to zero and will show what the previous car had. And no, it is not a direct swap.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:28 AM

What all would I have to modify to do it?
Old 06-07-2009, 03:59 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by ffcbairn
What all would I have to modify to do it?
Did you search?

The instructions are available, you just have to search for them...
Old 06-07-2009, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by pmohr
Did you search?

The instructions are available, you just have to search for them...
actually, i'm pretty sure it's in the stickies.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:51 AM

OK how about this, if there is an admin around please just delete this thread. Apparently if you ask a question that is the equivalent to an admission that you didn't search.

pmohr yes I searched. I do not need to know how to change my gauge bulbs and I do not need to know if a 99 will work in a 98 as I have a 95.

since you guys don't mind asking diminutive questions to be people let me ask one of my own. did you all actually search to see if the answer was there before you decided to chime in with "do a search?" didn't think so. however, i can show you what the results would look like.....

Reece which sticky are you talking about? Again, did you actually look at said sticky before you decided to chime in with your comment? Only thing I found in the stickies was how to change the bulbs for the gauge cluster, nothing about the differences between clusters from different model years.

No wait that is obviously bull**** since I didn't search.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:56 AM

And you know the most ridiculous thing of all is that in the time it took you to two to write up those responses you could have just answered the question and i wouldn't have had to respond with equally diminutive comments.

now i am all pissed off and i don't really care about the answer to the question anyway. i guess i will just go to the junk yard pull one and figure it out by myself.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:41 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by ffcbairn
pmohr yes I searched. I do not need to know how to change my gauge bulbs and I do not need to know if a 99 will work in a 98 as I have a 95.

since you guys don't mind asking diminutive questions to be people let me ask one of my own. did you all actually search to see if the answer was there before you decided to chime in with "do a search?" didn't think so. however, i can show you what the results would look like.....
Actually yes, I did (and I do every time I tell someone to search). And I found the answer, several times over.

Why would you search 'gauge cluster differences'? You want to swap them, correct? So would 'cluster swap', or 'digital swap', or 'digital cluster swap' not be more relevant keywords?

Do you really have to get in such a pissy fit because you don't know how to search?

And FWIW the differences are in the stickies, right in one of the very first posts. But again, if you don't search properly...

Last edited by pmohr; 06-07-2009 at 01:49 PM.