4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Anyone interested in learning how to make a console for rear passengers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 09:22 AM

looks good so far!
Old 06-26-2009, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaSpd85
i dare someone in the backseat to mess with my stereo....

Lol, very much agreed!
Old 06-26-2009, 07:38 PM

If you are throwing a 12v back there go ahead and add the usb charger for the ipods, certain phones and such.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:45 PM

I've been thinking of drilling my front concole where the cup holders are and wiring up small 3mm white led's so when you have a bottle of water or somthing like that it has a nice glow. only thing holding me back is that with a white led they are bright and will probably distract you if you have no drinks haha
Old 06-28-2009, 08:41 PM

Subscribed! i want to see the 5th gen console finished. maybe who ever is fabricating trim can sell some to me? hehe
Old 03-16-2010, 11:04 AM

Bumping this up cuz I'm curious if anyone ever finished this project??
Old 03-16-2010, 01:04 PM

from the middle to the rear. so thats eliminating the rear middle seat? just look in a 92-93 honda prelude...its got the center console extended to the rear and the whole compartment opens. kind of annoying. and less room in a small car to begin with. glad i had a 94 with the re designed regular center console.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:31 PM

I dare someone to ride in the backseat of my car
Old 03-17-2010, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Remminator
I dare someone to ride in the backseat of my car
wow, thanks for that insight.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:03 PM

i would love to see a rear console!
Old 03-18-2010, 02:18 PM

I've always wanted to have 4 MATCHING seats in my cars, as such it would leave an interesting space between the seats (and fyi - I've seen a car done this way, they custom carpeted, created a 'rear' trim for behind the seats (which incorporated his Subwoofer box - the car was a Toyota Cressida)
I actually like my cloth seats, so if I do this it will be with 'electric seats' recovered with my original cloth in front, and a matching set in the rear, the center console would be totally custom from dash back, and probably created from Aluminum, and covered with a matched (to the seats and door panels) cloth.

I do want to see how this project works out for you.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by SiathLinux
I've always wanted to have 4 MATCHING seats in my cars, as such it would leave an interesting space between the seats (and fyi - I've seen a car done this way, they custom carpeted, created a 'rear' trim for behind the seats (which incorporated his Subwoofer box - the car was a Toyota Cressida)
I actually like my cloth seats, so if I do this it will be with 'electric seats' recovered with my original cloth in front, and a matching set in the rear, the center console would be totally custom from dash back, and probably created from Aluminum, and covered with a matched (to the seats and door panels) cloth.

I do want to see how this project works out for you.
Wouldn't that look weird because the rear cabin area already has a bench made of metal, so the passengers would sit a foot above the driver???
Old 03-18-2010, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by ampire
Wouldn't that look weird because the rear cabin area already has a bench made of metal, so the passengers would sit a foot above the driver???
not so much, because no adjusters under seat (you have to attack the actual seat to the unibody directly (from under car) - getting the holes lined up for the mounting bolts would be the hardest.
Without all that extra under the seat, the seat would only be about 4" higher than the front seat.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by SiathLinux
not so much, because no adjusters under seat (you have to attack the actual seat to the unibody directly (from under car) - getting the holes lined up for the mounting bolts would be the hardest.
Without all that extra under the seat, the seat would only be about 4" higher than the front seat.
then the people in the back would have neck problems.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:46 PM

still very curious of this outcome
Old 03-28-2010, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Blackwind
then the people in the back would have neck problems.
The current back seat sits much higher - this would actually put the seat bottom 3" lower than the stock rear seat.

I did some measuring on Friday - and the overall seat dimensions from front to back are within an inch, the height is within 3" and the from the 'sunken' area in the back compared to the width of the front seats - fronts are 1" less per side (ie they could still have the folding armrest between the seats with no some space to spare)...

I also did some checking under the seats - I could actually just bolt the whole front seat with brackets to the front of the raised area that the back seat sits on - through drilling this area would be a PITA (as the fuel tank is under there)... but overall it won't be a hard modification... finding seats that are in as good of shape as my fronts will be nearly impossible though.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:41 AM

I've been trying on NUMEROUS attemps to make this rear deck.. but many ideas have got me puzzled and confused. To add the AC vents, chargers, and additional cup Holders would be great. But i'm stuck on how to make it all flow with the cars interior.

Now my idea for cupholders would be this. In my GS300, the rear armrest for the rear seats i guess, have a built in cupholder. i was thinking maybe if i can find a wrecked GS i can take the rear cupholder out the arm rest and try to fab it somehow to fit ours. But overall i dunno how that will work out since i am still trying to think of something..

Any more insights and ideas i can try?
Old 03-31-2010, 05:33 AM

Just a thought but it would be pretty sweet to have a 8" sub built inside the rear console you are considering.

I would just build a wood structure and glass over it, maybe take cupholders off of another car and glass them into the top.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:11 PM

you know what?

Originally Posted by ampire
Just a thought but it would be pretty sweet to have a 8" sub built inside the rear console you are considering.

I would just build a wood structure and glass over it, maybe take cupholders off of another car and glass them into the top.

you gave me an excellent idea..

I can put an 8" square L7 in that hole, and just leave my 15" sub for later use.. like at shows and have the L7 for cruising..

But the idea to leave the glassed cupholders in would be a great idea, but to make it sit flush in with the leather armrest and to still have the leather features is something to look at as well.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by dkillahster
you gave me an excellent idea..

I can put an 8" square L7 in that hole, and just leave my 15" sub for later use.. like at shows and have the L7 for cruising..

But the idea to leave the glassed cupholders in would be a great idea, but to make it sit flush in with the leather armrest and to still have the leather features is something to look at as well.
Yeah a square sub would be nice for it because the cutting would be simple. Just make sure it can work well in 1/4 cubic feet or whatever you end up with. Of course, you might not want to be running a sub with cups on top ? or would you?