4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Not able to get my car to start after a tranny swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 10:20 AM

Not able to get my car to start after a tranny swap

I just replced my 5spd transmission on my 97 maxima and when I go to start it it cranks fine but it wont start.

I triple checked all the connection and they are good.
I checked for gas and its pumping out
I checked the sparkplugs by removing one of the coil packs and put in a test plug to see if i get spark and i do not...

Whats are things I can check for ?

I also found some on NATS..... the immobilizer for nissan. Could that be the prob ? if so any steps on how to get this car going.

Any help will be appreceated.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:01 AM

I'm in a similar boat. You can try to ground ya starter from the 14mm bolt to the (-)battery terminal.

Also, did you ground the ignition coil when you testing for spark?
Old 07-03-2009, 11:10 AM

the starter is fine...it cranks perfect.

to test the spark splug i ground the spark plug not the coil

is there a specific way to test the spark with the coilpacks ?
Old 07-03-2009, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by 022580
I just replced my 5spd transmission on my 97 maxima and when I go to start it it cranks fine but it wont start.

I triple checked all the connection and they are good.
I checked for gas and its pumping out
I checked the sparkplugs by removing one of the coil packs and put in a test plug to see if i get spark and i do not...

Whats are things I can check for ?

I also found some on NATS..... the immobilizer for nissan. Could that be the prob ? if so any steps on how to get this car going.

Any help will be appreceated.

only 99 come with nats iirc.

Did you make sure that the ckps lines up good with the timing ring????
Old 07-03-2009, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Product_Of_Korea
only 99 come with nats iirc.

Did you make sure that the ckps lines up good with the timing ring????
ya, what he said. I just learned they have to do with spark timing
Old 07-03-2009, 10:32 PM
No more Maximas...

As said, NATS is '99+; not relevant. Not to mention that it cuts fuel, not spark.

So, since you neglected to mention; codes?

Did you sand the mating surface between bellhousing and block? You'd be surprised what odd issues a bad ground can cause.

Gas is 'pumping out'...where? At the injectors? Because that's all that really matters. If the injectors aren't firing, who cares that you've got flow from the pump?

Did you damage the CKPS POS at all? Remove the flywheel? If so, remove the timing ring?

Have you inspected the timing ring/CKPS POS for damage?
Old 07-04-2009, 08:08 AM

The fuel it coming out by the fuel filter...just before the injectors...

The house was clean before i put on the trans

Flywheel was not removed nor was the timing wheel.

im going to check the position sensor....

i have to look for code and go from there.

Originally Posted by pmohr
As said, NATS is '99+; not relevant. Not to mention that it cuts fuel, not spark.

So, since you neglected to mention; codes?

Did you sand the mating surface between bellhousing and block? You'd be surprised what odd issues a bad ground can cause.

Gas is 'pumping out'...where? At the injectors? Because that's all that really matters. If the injectors aren't firing, who cares that you've got flow from the pump?

Did you damage the CKPS POS at all? Remove the flywheel? If so, remove the timing ring?

Have you inspected the timing ring/CKPS POS for damage?
Old 07-04-2009, 08:14 AM

i have a stupid question about codes..... i know ill prob get bashed on this.

To get codes, should i follow the procedure to get the ecu code ?

or should i purchase one of those smaller code readers ?
Old 07-04-2009, 08:41 AM
No more Maximas...

i have a stupid question about codes..... i know ill prob get bashed on this.

To get codes, should i follow the procedure to get the ecu code ?

or should i purchase one of those smaller code readers ?
99% of the time you'll get the same results either way.

And again, are the injectors firing?
Old 07-04-2009, 04:05 PM

injectors firing... changed the cam shaft sensor cause i have a extra to test.

im getting 5 long and 5short for the code....i used the site from this forum and it says reported no problems.

can the cps on the tranny cause this ?

Originally Posted by pmohr
99% of the time you'll get the same results either way.

And again, are the injectors firing?
Old 07-04-2009, 10:02 PM

I would re try reading codes and make sure thats the code your pulling
Old 07-05-2009, 07:21 AM

i checked it 5 times....lol

The only thing i think it can be is the cps..... The tran i have in there now is from a 95, but the trans cps is from a 97 ...

Nissan is closed today for part so i can cross refference the part number.

would any one here know ?
Old 07-05-2009, 07:49 AM
No more Maximas...

The only thing i think it can be is the cps..... The tran i have in there now is from a 95, but the trans cps is from a 97 ...

The CPS is nowhere near the trans, it's on the timing cover.

Do you mean the CKPS? It has nothing to do with the trans, it reads from the timing ring on the back of the flywheel. They're all identical, '95-'01.

There are a number of things that could cause a no start, just have to rule them out one by one.

Have you inspected the timing ring and CKPS POS for damage yet?

Have you made sure both CKPS' and the CPS are plugged in properly, no corrosion in the connectors, etc?

Does it sound like it wants to fire at all, or just cranks steadily with no changes?

Did you do anything else other than swap the trans?
Old 07-05-2009, 11:48 AM

even if the cps is bad i think it would still start.

Like said before check timing ring and the CKPS(consult the FSM on how to test your CKPS). I would also check your grounds. I know there is a ground that goes right in front of your slave cylinder. Did you by chance unplug the sub harness that plugs in right in front of the radiator that travels down to your CKPS?
Old 07-05-2009, 12:15 PM

Not sure if anyone said this before, but could it be that neutral position sensor type thingy that stops you from starting the car if its in D or R??

I don't remember the exact name of it but I remembered reading something about transmissions preventing a car from starting because of a specific sensor.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:18 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Leo_Koneval
Not sure if anyone said this before, but could it be that neutral position sensor type thingy that stops you from starting the car if its in D or R??

I don't remember the exact name of it but I remembered reading something about transmissions preventing a car from starting because of a specific sensor.
The inhibitor would keep the engine from even cranking so as to keep it from lurching out of control. Granted that wouldn't even be an issue on an auto, I don't think the engine cranks fast enough to generate enough pressure in the trans to apply a gear, but safety first and all.

The clutch switch is just annoying, sometimes being able to bump it around with the starter is helpful.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:47 AM

so now i am getting codes....

Front Left Heated O2 sensor
Intake Air Temp Sensor
Crank Position Sensor

the codes say the following items need to be checked.

CPS has been replace and still same issue, i dont see the other two cause this problem.

Any suggestions ?
Old 07-10-2009, 07:41 AM

you are giving us very little to go on. did you remove the old flexplate and timing ring or did you just change the trans? did you wire up the p/n switch correctly?
Old 07-10-2009, 10:01 AM

All that was changed was the clutch, pressure plate and transmission. The flywheel was left as is so nothing was changed for the timing there.

What do u mean by wiring up the p/n switch correctly ? everything just clipped back in and no wiring was changed.

The motor cranks perfectly it just doesnt spark.... and i am getting those readings that are on my last post.

Originally Posted by Blackwind
you are giving us very little to go on. did you remove the old flexplate and timing ring or did you just change the trans? did you wire up the p/n switch correctly?
Old 07-10-2009, 12:30 PM

check for 12v at the red wire on the connector. key on, sensor unplugged...
Old 07-10-2009, 04:17 PM

All that was changed was the clutch, pressure plate and transmission. The flywheel was left as is so nothing was changed for the timing there.

What do u mean by wiring up the p/n switch correctly ? everything just clipped back in and no wiring was changed.

The motor cranks perfectly it just doesnt spark.... and i am getting those readings that are on my last post.
1st -you need to put up some pics if you have them, it will make this ordeal all the easier for us to help you with.

2nd- you DID NOT change the timing ring? am i correct on this?

3rd- NOTHING on this swap will clip together.

you did something wrong big time. get up some pics asap. what directions did you follow?
Old 07-10-2009, 04:37 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Blackwind
1st -you need to put up some pics if you have them, it will make this ordeal all the easier for us to help you with.

2nd- you DID NOT change the timing ring? am i correct on this?

3rd- NOTHING on this swap will clip together.

you did something wrong big time. get up some pics asap. what directions did you follow?
Best I can tell he just replaced the trans (factory 5MT), he didn't do a 5MT swap.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:59 PM

so now i am getting codes....

Front Left Heated O2 sensor
Intake Air Temp Sensor
Crank Position Sensor

the codes say the following items need to be checked.

CPS has been replace and still same issue, i dont see the other two cause this problem.

Any suggestions ?

Man sorry for nagging

But from now on refer the crankshaft postioning sensor as CKPS

And the CPS as cam shaft postioning sensor. Its very confusing to us cause this is the way we are use to hearing it.

What specific code are you throwing???? There are two CKPS's one is by the crankshaft pulley(ref) and the other one is by the flywheel(POS)(as im sure you know by now)

I would triple check sensors. Check all your fuses. Check all your gounds Especially the ones on the lower intake manifold. Then i would physically check the timing ring(remove the tranny if need be) But you could also check it by removing the CKPS(pos) and have a buddy crank the crankshaft pully and you look at the timing ring. Or you could just pull the tranny.

Last edited by Product_Of_Korea; 07-10-2009 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:08 PM

to double check the timing ring is on the flywheel right ? just wanna double check cause i cant find the timing ring on the fsm.

The only thing removed and put back on are the clutch disk, clutch cover, and the transmission ontop of it.

plus the other stuff to get to the tranny.

Originally Posted by Product_Of_Korea
Man sorry for nagging

But from now on refer the crankshaft postioning sensor as CKPS

And the CPS as cam shaft postioning sensor. Its very confusing to us cause this is the way we are use to hearing it.

What specific code are you throwing???? There are two CKPS's one is by the crankshaft pulley(ref) and the other one is by the flywheel(POS)(as im sure you know by now)

I would triple check sensors. Check all your fuses. Check all your gounds Especially the ones on the lower intake manifold. Then i would physically check the timing ring(remove the tranny if need be) But you could also check it by removing the CKPS(pos) and have a buddy crank the crankshaft pully and you look at the timing ring. Or you could just pull the tranny.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:05 AM

aNY UPDATES? Oops sorry for yellin
Old 07-20-2009, 12:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

im having the same problem, im going to check the ckps harness
Old 07-20-2009, 12:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

99 maxima SE-L, new 5th gen clutch kit and 2001 5 speed tranny, it was very hard to start the 1st week after installation but once it started, it ran perfecttttt but i noticed the rpms was idling at about 550 opposed to the 650-700 before work was done, I used a new ckps and it did not help, added a 4g ground wire from negative battery terminal to starter bolt and the car started 50% better then it did without the wire, but still not 100%. 2nd week the car wud just turn over and not start at all. Added a 2nd 4g ground wire from starter bolt to bottom of tranny and it did nothing. i watched my mech install the tranny, he did NOT clean or sand the bell housing bolt points. I check everthing except the ckps harness < if thats not the culprit of this problem, im 95% sure that dropping the tranny, sanding and cleaning the bolt points on tranny and motor bell housing will solve the problem
Old 07-21-2009, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by CEASE225
99 maxima SE-L, new 5th gen clutch kit and 2001 5 speed tranny, it was very hard to start the 1st week after installation but once it started, it ran perfecttttt but i noticed the rpms was idling at about 550 opposed to the 650-700 before work was done, I used a new ckps and it did not help, added a 4g ground wire from negative battery terminal to starter bolt and the car started 50% better then it did without the wire, but still not 100%. 2nd week the car wud just turn over and not start at all. Added a 2nd 4g ground wire from starter bolt to bottom of tranny and it did nothing. i watched my mech install the tranny, he did NOT clean or sand the bell housing bolt points. I check everthing except the ckps harness < if thats not the culprit of this problem, im 95% sure that dropping the tranny, sanding and cleaning the bolt points on tranny and motor bell housing will solve the problem
First you should start your own thread, but to answer your question the idle speed for 5 speeds tran between 550- 625 rpms try raising it through idle control valve 650 700 is to high for 5 speeds
Old 10-20-2009, 08:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I never asked a question, i wrote in this thread to let 022580 know that im going thru the samething and its highly possible that the mating face on the new tranny needs to be clean!!!!
Old 10-21-2009, 07:44 PM

i did a motor swap last year and had a similar problem, it was a motor from a 95 5speed, and my car was 98 auto.., car cranked, cranked, and nothing.. checked EVERYTHING...i had a few crank shaft position sensors(one on trans side) sitting around, ground the metal part of the sensor a little bit(about 1/8 of an inch) and she started right up..weird but worked..i would try doing that but get another(used)sensor so u can play with it... hope it helps..
Old 10-22-2009, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by khantalha+
i did a motor swap last year and had a similar problem, it was a motor from a 95 5speed, and my car was 98 auto.., car cranked, cranked, and nothing.. checked EVERYTHING...i had a few crank shaft position sensors(one on trans side) sitting around, ground the metal part of the sensor a little bit(about 1/8 of an inch) and she started right up..weird but worked..i would try doing that but get another(used)sensor so u can play with it... hope it helps..
That's it! Some people get rid of the proplem by grounding the engine block and the tranny, but its an indirect solution. the CSPS need to be grounded on the engine block and the tranny too!!! Even if you take a wire from the tranny to the battery, IT IS NOT enough.

So before trying everything, grind the CSPS and the tranny screws/ metal part to get a better contact tranny/engine block.

it may help

good luck