4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

can I use a 1996 ecm with my 1999?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 05:50 PM

can I use a 1996 ecm with my 1999?

I tried searching but could not find an answer. So please don't flame.
I think my ecm is fried. I got a 1996 ecm laying around somewhere, will that work on my 1999? theyre both manual transmission ecm's...
thanks
Old 07-03-2009, 06:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yes but you will need to switch a cable for the O2 sensor after the cat so bank 2 sensor 2. You will have to switch one cable from i believe connector 107 to 105
Old 07-03-2009, 06:22 PM

hmmmmmm....ok thank urmab.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by urmab
Yes but you will need to switch a cable for the O2 sensor after the cat so bank 2 sensor 2. You will have to switch one cable from i believe connector 107 to 105

oh i belive there is more to it then that. i know the CKPS(REF) is pin 46 on the 99 and not pin 44. Im sure there is more that differ as well.

Im sure pmohr will chime in and set the record straight

Last edited by Product_Of_Korea; 07-03-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:43 PM

PMOHR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHERE ARE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
But if its a lot different then I'll just forget about it.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:29 PM
No more Maximas...

I don't know the concrete pinout details, but yes, you'll have to repin the connector.

Start off with the CKPS, go from there.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:34 AM
Whatchyou say?

IIWM, I'd get pix of the 99' pinout and the 96' pinout and compare. Pmohr has linx to the FSM's, just pdf dox .... open a couple of browsers and open the 96 FSM and the 99 FSM. I think you'll find that you will have several changes to make. I understand using parts already in hand, but how much would a 'new' 99' ECU cost? Might only be a few bucks (~$45 or so????) I had to replace an ECU in a 91' Max that I had a while back and I found a used one for $45 online, $10 shipping - $55 and no cutting / splicing of wires.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:41 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by JtzMax
IIWM, I'd get pix of the 99' pinout and the 96' pinout and compare. Pmohr has linx to the FSM's, just pdf dox .... open a couple of browsers and open the 96 FSM and the 99 FSM. I think you'll find that you will have several changes to make. I understand using parts already in hand, but how much would a 'new' 99' ECU cost? Might only be a few bucks (~$45 or so????) I had to replace an ECU in a 91' Max that I had a while back and I found a used one for $45 online, $10 shipping - $55 and no cutting / splicing of wires.
The '99 FSM pinout is incorrect, which is the issue.

If I can get someone to give me concrete pinout details, I'll make a correct pinout and add it to http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/5...0-px-wide.html

Also with getting a '99 ECU, you'd have to have it reprogrammed to accept the current keys. Granted, some may like the immobilizer system, personally I think it's just a PITA.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:44 AM
Whatchyou say?

Originally Posted by pmohr
The '99 FSM pinout is incorrect, which is the issue.

If I can get someone to give me concrete pinout details, I'll make a correct pinout and add it to http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/5...0-px-wide.html

Also with getting a '99 ECU, you'd have to have it reprogrammed to accept the current keys. Granted, some may like the immobilizer system, personally I think it's just a PITA.
I see .... Muhbadddd
Old 07-04-2009, 09:47 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by JtzMax
I see .... Muhbadddd
And to think, I had a nearly complete '99 harness sitting here for the longest time, I didn't even think about testing the pinout myself before I had hacked the thing up.

Now it's a pile of connector pigtails and a few rolls of wire, sectioned by color.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

This may be the issue with 99, I got a 98 with a 95 ecu i changed that one pin and the car seems to run fine for 2 years now
Old 07-04-2009, 11:11 AM

Yeah 99 is the screwy year.

Hell im running a 97 auto ecu in my 96 5speed with no drivablity problems at all W\ a EU wired in. I just throw a code for not having a TCU

OP: FWIW i would just go with a 99 ECU. Im sure they are just 10-20 dollars more than your 95-98 ecu's and you dont have to mess with rewiring half your ECU(Its not fun belive me). But then again like said earlier you would have to reprogram for the immobilizer. but on the flip side i couldnt even imagine getting the immobilzer to work on 95-98 ecu's.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:13 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Product_Of_Korea
Yeah 99 is the screwy year.

Hell im running a 97 auto ecu in my 96 5speed with no drivablity problems at all W\ a EU wired in. I just throw a code for not having a TCU

OP: FWIW i would just go with a 99 ECU. Im sure they are just 10-20 dollars more than your 95-98 ecu's and you dont have to mess with rewiring half your ECU(Its not fun belive me). But then again like said earlier you would have to reprogram for the immobilizer. but on the flip side i couldnt even imagine getting the immobilzer to work on 95-98 ecu's.
There's no chance of getting the immobilizer to work on earlier ECUs, really. It's possible of course, but just prohibitively...a PITA.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:41 AM

There's no chance of getting the immobilizer to work on earlier ECUs, really. It's possible of course, but just prohibitively...a PITA.

Thats what i figured. Even on a 99 i hear its a PITA i couldnt imagine on a non immobilizer ECU.

Glad ive never had to mess with a 99...........

OP: ive seen some 99 ecu's for sale on car-part.com for around 75 bucks

Last edited by Product_Of_Korea; 07-04-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:43 PM

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/wol...ORENGSWAPS.PDF

This may help
Old 07-04-2009, 10:44 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by throttlehappy46
How so? It has nothing to do with the '99

It's all available in the FSM (in better detail), anyway.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:02 PM

Well Thanks for the help I think I fried my ecu and cant find one for a 1999 mt anywhere dealer quoted $1200 + 250 labor ...can't afford that now, nor would I pay that much. My injectors seem to stay open after I turn my car off, and my spark plugs keep igniting kind of like dieseling but it does not stop until I either put it into gear, or stap the gas pedal...

Any clues?
Old 07-06-2009, 09:51 PM

How so? It has nothing to do with the '99

It's all available in the FSM (in better detail), anyway.
Just in relation to the wiring loom signals that the 1996 ECU uses and what plugs need to be swapped.

I have not used/looked at the FSM
Old 07-06-2009, 09:52 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by throttlehappy46
Just in relation to the wiring loom signals that the 1996 ECU uses and what plugs need to be swapped.

I have not used/looked at the FSM
You should, it's the single best source of information you can find.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Maximeltman
Well Thanks for the help I think I fried my ecu and cant find one for a 1999 mt anywhere dealer quoted $1200 + 250 labor ...can't afford that now, nor would I pay that much. My injectors seem to stay open after I turn my car off, and my spark plugs keep igniting kind of like dieseling but it does not stop until I either put it into gear, or stap the gas pedal...

Any clues?

Have you tried car-part.com????

I did a quick search and i see 5 for sale all under 125. Also it doesnt matter what trim you use either. IE you can use one off a gxe or se. Also if you dont care about throwing a code you could use one off a auto as well. They are all pretty much interchangeable(within the 99's)

Also 250 seems kinda steep for just a hour of labor. But then again it is the dealership.....

FWIW the ecu is real easy to change out. Maybe 3 bolts to undo IIRC. Its just not in the most convient spot. But doable with basic tools.

Last edited by Product_Of_Korea; 07-07-2009 at 03:41 AM.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:37 PM

okay, the ecu just slides out of the mounting bracket right? I removed all the screws and it wont come out and its hella hot/humid outside so it was aggravating me so i need to take a break. off to school now I'll try later.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:39 PM
No more Maximas...

okay, the ecu just slides out of the mounting bracket right? I removed all the screws and it wont come out and its hella hot/humid outside so it was aggravating me so i need to take a break. off to school now I'll try later.
It's a bit of a PITA to do. More so on an auto the way I do it.

Personally I pull out the center stack (vents, radio, shifter trim, ashtray, etc), then unbolt the two 10mm head bolts that hold the entire bracket in place. Unplug the two or three dash harness connectors, and you should be able to slide the ECU/bracket/wiring harness all out in one shot.

Takes about 10 minutes (your first time, anyway) like that, much easier than ****ing around with the 4 phillips head screws (IMO).
Old 07-07-2009, 04:30 PM

^^ Agreed. Removing the ECU bracket and sliding that out as a complete unit works for me on 99% of Nissans I have worked on.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:19 PM

is it uncommon for my ecu to be toast? When I cranked my engine the first time, after installing a new fuel injector, without the REF crankshaft sensor even connected, it just cranked over (I thought I didn't need the CKPS connected anyways, since the ECU threw a faulty REF CKPS code to begin with) and did not ignite/start...
When I connected the REF CKPS just for ****s to see if it would do anything, the engine then fired up, but it stays on after I kill the ignition(not dieseling sinse it keeps chugging away, as if it's continually being fed gas/spark without signal from the ecu).
I checked the harness going to the REF CKPS, and it seems dead, ie: no continuity to ground as the Haynes manual says to check for...but the sensor itself reads 540 or so ohms of resistance, so it cannot be bad...which would mean that the wires going to it are bad since there isn't any continuity, right? And those same wires go directly to the ECU correct?
So my question is after the big rant above, is why would the engine start when I connected the REF CKPS when the wires going to it are not giving it a signal?

Last edited by Maximeltman; 07-07-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:26 PM
No more Maximas...

is it uncommon for my ecu to be toast? When I cranked my engine the first time, after installing a new fuel injector, without the REF crankshaft sensor even connected, it just turned over (I thought I didn't need the CKPS connected anyways, since the ECU threw a faulty CKPS code to begin with) and did not ignite/start...
When I connected the REF CKPS just for ****s to see if it would do anything, the engine then fired up, but it stays on after I kill the ignition(not dieseling sinse it keeps chugging away, as if it's continually being fed gas/spark without signal from the ecu).
I checked the harness going to the REF CKPS, and it seems dead, ie: no continuity to ground as the Haynes manual says to check for...but the sensor itself reads 540 or so ohms of resistance, so it cannot be bad...which would mean that the wires going to it are bad since there isn't any continuity, right? And those same wires go directly to the ECU correct?
So my question is after the big rant above, is why would the engine start when I connected the REF CKPS when the wires going to it are not giving it a signal?
First, there's just a terminology problem here, which is going to lead to confusion.

The crank sensors are CKPS REF/POS, not CPS; the cam sensor is the CPS.

Also, 'turned over' is generally regarded as starting, not cranking.

Now:
Just because the sensor reads the correct resistance, does NOT mean that it 'cannot be bad'.

Are you sure you checked the correct pin, number 2? Have you checked continuity to the large connector that feeds the CKPS REF/OPSU/rear bank of injectors?

Did you check continuity of the signal wire from the connector at the CKPS back to the ECU, or are you for some reason assuming that it is an open circuit?

Just because the ground is bad doesn't mean the signal circuit is bad; the ground never reaches the ECU. The ECU could still (potentially) receive a signal even with a faulty ground circuit.

Have you checked/cleaned the two ground straps on the front of the LIM yet?
Old 07-07-2009, 06:30 PM

Hey Product of Korea, thank you for investing ur time u 2 pmohr...
I checked the Car-part.com site and did indeed find a 99ecu, cali spec(mine's fed) and not for mt(the guy said it will not work correctly and he does not offer refunds once they're bought they're on a one-way trip he told me)..soo...
The struggle continues with getting the ecu out. I noticed on the electrical pinout on the 96 the REF is connected at pins 44/48...I could use my ohmeter to check what pins are continuous with the REF sensor I guess...
Old 07-07-2009, 06:31 PM
No more Maximas...

Hey Product of Korea, thank you for investing ur time u 2 pmohr...
I checked the Car-part.com site and did indeed find a 99ecu, cali spec(mine's fed) and not for mt(the guy said it will not work correctly and he does not offer refunds once they're bought they're on a one-way trip he told me)..soo...
The struggle continues with getting the ecu out. I noticed on the electrical pinout on the 96 the REF is connected at pins 44/48...I could use my ohmeter to check what pins are continuous with the REF sensor I guess...
An auto ECU will work fine with a 5MT, it'll just throw some codes.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:36 PM

First, there's just a terminology problem here, which is going to lead to confusion.

The crank sensors are CKPS REF/POS, not CPS; the cam sensor is the CPS.

Also, 'turned over' is generally regarded as starting, not cranking.

Now:
Just because the sensor reads the correct resistance, does NOT mean that it 'cannot be bad'.

Are you sure you checked the correct pin, number 2? Have you checked continuity to the large connector that feeds the CKPS REF/OPSU/rear bank of injectors?

Did you check continuity of the signal wire from the connector at the CKPS back to the ECU, or are you for some reason assuming that it is an open circuit?

Just because the ground is bad doesn't mean the signal circuit is bad; the ground never reaches the ECU. The ECU could still (potentially) receive a signal even with a faulty ground circuit.

Have you checked/cleaned the two ground straps on the front of the LIM yet?
pin # 2, the black wire, right? It is said to be continuous to ground...SO i suppose I assumed it was indeed open circuit. Was I supposed to check the continuity back to the ECU? If so then I sure will do that. What is OPSU?
The ground straps are the two little wires with the metal loops that connect to the LIM...I think I did.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:47 PM

BTW, just before my engine went weird I smelled strange fumes inside the cabin and my windows were up...like burning rubber...wonder if that was my engine or ecu.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:59 PM

BTW, just before my engine went weird I smelled strange fumes inside the cabin and my windows were up...like burning rubber...wonder if that was my engine or ecu.
Ive had that happen to me before

More than likely your ecu. But you should find what caused it to fry up like that. In my case i was using the 5th gen iacv and one of the pins was bent that caused a short. I should of went with the 5th gen pig tail instead of modifying the 4th gen plug. and yes i made the mistake of putting a another ecu in with out properly figuring out what was causing the problem. Yes yes i know pmohr should of use the 5th gen pigtail......

You should be able to turn your key to the "on" postion and the CEL should be on. If it doesnt come on, your ecu is more than likely shot.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:43 PM

ya the CEL comes on, so is it not shot then?
Old 07-07-2009, 07:44 PM
No more Maximas...

ya the CEL comes on, so is it not shot then?
It's not a foolproof test either way.

Once you get it out, open it up and see what (if anything) burnt up.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:59 PM

ya but cant some IC's or other stuff be burned and not look it? I'll do as you say anyways.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:54 PM

Sounds like it has a burnt track near the US passenger side of the ECU close to the ECU plug.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:03 AM

Okay I pulled it out and opened it. Nothing looks burnt. Is there a way to test it to make certain so that I don't pay $150 for a new one if i don't need it?
Old 07-08-2009, 03:10 PM

So out of curiousity have you tried to pull any codes???
Old 07-08-2009, 04:02 PM

Yes before I took it out: 0802, 0407, (both ckps) and 1403 (which has no meaning?)
Old 07-08-2009, 04:06 PM
No more Maximas...

Yes before I took it out: 0802, 0407, (both ckps) and 1403 (which has no meaning?)
If you're absolutely sure that you got a code 1403, then it's possible your ECU is just totally screwed up. There's no such code.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:10 PM

If you're absolutely sure that you got a code 1403, then it's possible your ECU is just totally screwed up. There's no such code.
Absolutely...so I guess it's messed up then?
I just ordered another REF ckps on ebay for $29 shipped. I'll try that and see what happens.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:15 PM

well only one way to make sure. Hook back up and re pull the codes to make sure

EDIT:
Nevermind

Quick Reply: can I use a 1996 ecm with my 1999?