4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

benefit of a custom cai for SC?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2001, 10:35 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

benefit of a custom cai for SC?

Well, I got the custom cai in about a week ago. Today I really pushed the car because I was feeling a bit hyper. On the highway going home, I was playing with a newer Mustang V6. He was trying to keep up with me cutting through traffic. Good thing traffic was pretty light at the time. Anyway, as I kept my foot on all the way down on the gas going about 90-100(didn't look), the warning light on my EGT gauge came on. It's set to go on at 800C, it went pass that a bit. I thought to myself, should the custom cai help cool my system a bit? Before I put the custom cai on, the temp. never got up to 800C, it was around 700C. Maybe this had nothing to do with the custom cai, so correct me if I'm wrong. Also, I have not noticed any difference in adding the custom cai. Still sounds the same, I thought I would get back the cai sound before I add the SC, at least a little bit. Nothing. I don't feel any extra pull and boost level is the same. Any ideas or input would be appreciated. Btw, the V6 Mustang couldn't keep up.
Old 11-26-2001, 11:23 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

not exactly sure how yours is setup.. mine made a major improvement.. also depends on engine and pulley size i guess.. but that small pancake filter from stillen isn't enough to bring the air required with higherboost levels.. as for your egt.. might want to check out your fuel system.. the cai brings more air in thus you could run lean..
Old 11-26-2001, 11:27 AM
Administrator

v6 mustangs run mid to high 15's.. don't know if you knew that mike..
Old 11-26-2001, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by Phil96SE
not exactly sure how yours is setup.. mine made a major improvement.. also depends on engine and pulley size i guess.. but that small pancake filter from stillen isn't enough to bring the air required with higherboost levels.. as for your egt.. might want to check out your fuel system.. the cai brings more air in thus you could run lean..

I think my setup is similar to yours. I have a mandrel bent pipe going from the side of the SC down to where the windshield wiper fluid used to be. As far as differences, you are running a much smaller pulley then I am, so that could be it. I think it's time for me to put in that 8:1 FMU disc. I have yet to put in the 3.125 pulley though. Anyway, thanks for the input.

Sprint: I know V6 Mustangs are slow, but that guy just asked for it. I have raced and beaten newer Mustang GTs, so I know I could take this guy easily. He was way way behind me. Hm...maybe he just wanted to check out my car? Who knows...
Old 11-26-2001, 11:57 AM

The benifit is that the pancake filter cn not flow enough cubic feet per minute (CFM) of air for a hyper boosted VQ30xx. It will choke the supercharger a bit. And cool air is much better than warm air for performance. Were not talking substantial horse power, but every little bit adds up. This may be what caused the EGT's to rise to over 800c. Just put the 8:1 disc in, it will help this. On a 3.33 pulley youre on the line with the "stock" 6:1. With the 8:1 you may be a bit rich, but rich is better than broken. And since the 3.125 will be going in soon why not just do the 8:1 now if your highway racing EGT's are high.

I have seen 820c's when I had my 100hp nitrous set up with no problems. But that was at the 1/4 mile traps just for a split second. Running really hard on the interstate will heat things up more though and extended exposure to high EGTs is a no no. Just be aware of the EGT's and be thankfull for the APEXi gauge with warning indicator light!

If the 3.125 isnt put on when we go to the track on Saturday 12/8 bring the 6:1 disc and the tools to swap it so we can put it back if we need to so your running really good for 1/4 mile runs.
Old 11-26-2001, 12:29 PM

Sorry I have nothing to add guys but I am curious what a disk is? I know what the pulleys are and what they do - but the disk? Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-26-2001, 01:07 PM

Originally posted by Toolrocks
Sorry I have nothing to add guys but I am curious what a disk is? I know what the pulleys are and what they do - but the disk? Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.
"disc" refers to the adjustment disc inside the Vortech Fuel Managment Unit (FMU). It is used to raise system fuel pressure when boost pressure is present in the intake manifold. Go to Vortechs website for more detailed info.
Old 11-26-2001, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax

"disc" refers to the adjustment disc inside the Vortech Fuel Managment Unit (FMU). It is used to raise system fuel pressure when boost pressure is present in the intake manifold. Go to Vortechs website for more detailed info.
Thanks alot.