4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Air Conditioner Compressor question

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 09:48 AM

Air Conditioner Compressor question

A friend of mine has a 99 maxima and her mechanic told her that the A/C compressor was on it's way out.

She also said that he was explaining to her that a dead compressor could cause further damage to other mechanical parts (she couldn't remember what specific parts he said). Is this true?

Common sense would tell me that the only problem with a dead compressor would mean a non-functional A/C, blowing warm air.

I just want to make sure she isn't getting hosed.

Thanks for any feedback.

-Steve
Old 07-22-2009, 10:17 AM
No more Maximas...

Depends on what he means by 'dead'. First you said 'on its way out', then dead.

If the compressor starts breaking down, it can send debris down the line to other parts of the system, which is why the system should be flushed anyway if the compressor is being replaced.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
Depends on what he means by 'dead'. First you said 'on its way out', then dead.

If the compressor starts breaking down, it can send debris down the line to other parts of the system, which is why the system should be flushed anyway if the compressor is being replaced.
Sorry about the confusion... right now it is still functioning, but not well (or at least from what she conveyed to me).

Also, I don't know much about the A/C system, so when you say that it can send debris down other parts of the system, do you mean the A/C system or on to much more vital mechanical parts like the engine, etc.

Like I said, I really don't know much about this, so any insight is great. Thanks for the response.

-Steve
Old 07-22-2009, 06:15 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by S Cranaw
Sorry about the confusion... right now it is still functioning, but not well (or at least from what she conveyed to me).

Also, I don't know much about the A/C system, so when you say that it can send debris down other parts of the system, do you mean the A/C system or on to much more vital mechanical parts like the engine, etc.

Like I said, I really don't know much about this, so any insight is great. Thanks for the response.

-Steve
Air conditioning is a closed system, it won't affect anything else unless the compressor locks up, in which case the only other thing that would be affected would be the belt.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:22 PM

Air conditioning is a closed system, it won't affect anything else unless the compressor locks up, in which case the only other thing that would be affected would be the belt.
Thanks for the quick response. Much appreciated.

Sorry one more question... probably knew it was coming, but which belt are you talking about.

Sorry to sound like such an idiot, but with this stuff I admittedly am.

-Steve
Old 07-22-2009, 06:23 PM
No more Maximas...

Thanks for the quick response. Much appreciated.

Sorry one more question... probably knew it was coming, but which belt are you talking about.

Sorry to sound like such an idiot, but with this stuff I admittedly am.

-Steve
AC/alternator belt.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:42 PM

kinda OT but a buddy of mine's AC wasn't working due to low amount of freon, thus the compressor wasn't coming on. started recharging w/ freon and noticed a hissing noise and found a hole (about a pinhole or 2) in the AC line and was spueling out freon. how should he repair that hole? would JB weld do the trick?

Last edited by G4nismo; 07-22-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:45 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by G4nismo
kinda OT but a buddy of mine's AC wasn't working due to low amount of freon, thus the compressor wasn't coming on. started refilling and noticed a hissing noise and found hole in the AC line and was spueling out freon. how should he repair that hole? would JB weld do the trick?
It's not freon.

No, JBweld isn't the way to do it. Short of replacing the line, you could try brazing/welding it up.

Take it to an AC repair shop, they'll know what to do. You'll have to take it to a shop to have it evac'ed and recharged anyway, unless you have a vacuum pump and a scale.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:04 PM

what do you mean its not freon? the compressor wouldn't come on b/c it was low on freon which shouldn't leak in the first place. it was most likely due to that leak/hole we found afterwards of recharging it.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:09 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by G4nismo
what do you mean its not freon? the compressor wouldn't come on b/c it was low on freon which shouldn't leak in the first place. it was most likely due to that leak/hole we found afterwards of recharging it.
You say WRX, right?

The WRX wasn't released in the US until the 2000 model year.

Auto manufacturers stopped using R12 (what everyone calls Freon, which is a brand name) in the beginning of '96.

So again, it is NOT Freon.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:11 PM

If I may, I believe what pmohr meant is that it is not "Freon" but actually refrigerant (R134A). Pmohr, correct me if I spoke out of turn.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:12 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by jdooley
If I may, I believe what pmohr meant is that it is not "Freon" but actually refrigerant (R134A).
Indeed.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:15 PM

You say WRX, right?

The WRX wasn't released in the US until the 2000 model year.

Auto manufacturers stopped using R12 (what everyone calls Freon, which is a brand name) in the beginning of '96.

So again, it is NOT Freon.
R-134a, my bad...

just saw the other post...
Old 07-22-2009, 10:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

A friend of mine has a 99 maxima and her mechanic told her that the A/C compressor was on it's way out.

She also said that he was explaining to her that a dead compressor could cause further damage to other mechanical parts (she couldn't remember what specific parts he said). Is this true?

Common sense would tell me that the only problem with a dead compressor would mean a non-functional A/C, blowing warm air.

I just want to make sure she isn't getting hosed.

Thanks for any feedback.

-Steve
Thats just a sales pitch,
But remember the AC system is kind of complex take it to a AC only shop
I have own my max for 3 years, and when i was working at the stealirship.
They couldn't figure out what was up with my AC nothing but excuses, and opinions, and im yet to fix it