4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

2000 mile roadtrip coming up - what to do ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 06:47 AM
Zog

2000 mile roadtrip coming up - what to do ?

planning on taking a trip to from virginia to iowa in a month or so. It'll be about 1000 miles each way. Need to get my 99 ready to roll for the trip. So here's my list of things I want do do before we head off. I have about 115,000 miles on the car.

oil change
transmission fluid
coolant

Those are the definites, anything else of real concern? I just looked at my belts and they look fine. Tires are fine. Spark plugs were changed at about 60000. What else should I be worried about?
Old 07-26-2009, 06:54 AM

1) As long as they were iridiums or platinums I say your plugs are fine. If they were standard copper ones I'd think about changing them.

2) Air Filter? I change standard ones every 15k.

3) Has the fuel filter been changed? Anything over 100k and I would change.

4) Take a look at your brakes.

5) If you have any greasable front end components I would take care of them.

6) Check the CV boots for tears. A cracked one will kill your CV over a long drive like that. I spray mine with silicone every oil change to try to keep them pliable and avoid cracking.

7) Check and top off all fluids.

8) I would take a set of belts with me and the tools to change them. A broken one on a long trip could really suck.

Good Luck and let us know what kind of mileage you get.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:04 AM
Banned

save your odometer some miles and rent a car - you'll have nothing to worry about, especially if you hit a deer, get a rock chip in paint/windshield etc.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by allensteiner21
save your odometer some miles and rent a car - you'll have nothing to worry about, especially if you hit a deer, get a rock chip in paint/windshield etc.
I agree, but if you want to take a roadtrip with your car, the post above is your best option. Also, bring a credit card for emergencies, in case your car needs more than maintenance items.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by allensteiner21

+1

Although riding your own car is something convenient , but 10 years or 11 years old are not that safe for long trips....suppose any bad thing can happen when you're in the middle of no where !!!!!!

Grab a rent car , even if you smash it and you'll be fine
Old 07-26-2009, 08:44 AM
Turbo 3.5

get AAA, jumper cables, double check your spare tire and jack, and bring a cellphone, charger and credit card just encase

check your axles, belts abd fluids and enjoy your trip

I drive my car up and down the east coast all the time

Last edited by t6378tp; 07-26-2009 at 08:49 AM.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:56 AM

tire pressure and make sure those lugs are tight! check all ur bulbs and those windshield wipers i agree with the others iwould have used a rental
Old 07-26-2009, 08:56 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by mahanddeem
Although riding your own car is something convenient , but 10 years or 11 years old are not that safe for long trips....
And a fleet vehicle, the history of which you don't know is safer? If you really think that an Enterprise car, etc gets in depth thorough maintenance...

If you actually take care of your car, you take a look at it and replace/repair what you see might become a problem, it's no less reliable than taking out a brand new car.

Probably be end up being a hell of a lot cheaper/easier to fix if anything does happen to break, too.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I always have an extra quart of oil in my car. You never know????
Old 07-26-2009, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by simpy49
I always have an extra quart of oil in my car. You never know????

i keep a whole gallon....lol
Old 07-26-2009, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by pmohr
And a fleet vehicle, the history of which you don't know is safer? If you really think that an Enterprise car, etc gets in depth thorough maintenance...

If you actually take care of your car, you take a look at it and replace/repair what you see might become a problem, it's no less reliable than taking out a brand new car.

Probably be end up being a hell of a lot cheaper/easier to fix if anything does happen to break, too.
The last time I rented a car, they charged me $5xx for 3 days... so I drove it like I stoled it. But I noticed they only have 09's so I doubt it's gonna break down on ya.

I would personally take my own car though. It'll be cheaper and a roadtrip - I'm assuming a lot of highway miles is gonna less demanding than daily driving so wouldn't worry unless your car breaks down frequently.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:50 PM

Forgot about jumper cables. Good call. I always have mine.

Unless you are an oil user I don't bother carrying it since you can find it anlmost anywhere.

If the car is running good a 1000 mile trip is no big deal. Highway miles are so much better and easier on a motor than city driving. That's of course if you drive easy. Cruise at 70 or so.

Motors can run at 2/3 redline forever with little ill effects.

I've taken my Acura to Florida and back 6 times after she had a 100k on it. If it wasn't for some a-hole who ran a red I'd still have it and not the Max.

So maybe that was a good thing.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:04 PM

well hey, heres my ten cents.. if the tranny fluid is Cherry Red, doesnt smell sweet look burnt, varnished, or contaminated. Leave it be. If you change your tranny fluid as scheduled maintnence every 30K miles than go for it. But if shes shifting Hard or has one of those problems.. Its Your Call. IMOP i wouldnt do it. and if i did, i would use the HOW TO here on the org and let her Bleed Out, Never do a Power Purge.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:43 PM
Zog

Just changed the breaks about a month ago.Inspected CV boots and everything then.

Cleaned the K&N/re-oiled it in June.

Plugs are platinum nissan brand.

Transmission has been fine, I'll probably just get it changed for piece of mind. We'll see what I have time for as we get closer.

Coolant, I know has probably never been changed. So that will be a priority.

I have a fuel filter that's been sitting in my basement for 2 years. I too worried I won't be able to get it on after I pull the old one.

Do need to check my spair's air pressure.

As for a rental, no way. Part of the reason I'm driving and not flying is the cost. If I spend another $200 (at least) to rent a car for 3 days plus the gas to get there I probably could buy a plane ticket.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:10 PM

Coolant is a important one, as going long trips without stopping for a few hours like if you were going to work or something might strain the engine with the issue of cooling. But it looks like you are all set, other than a few minor things, like:

- Checking washer fluid reservoir you never know when a dump truck in front you blows dust all over your car, blinding you while going 70MPH

- Check your wiper blades

- Make sure you bring a emergency kit, like flares, a danger triangle, and ect.

- Maybe a can of those tire sealers in case you run a flat

- Jacks

- Flash lights

- Emergency food (I.E beef jerky, crackers)

- Blankets

- Backup cell phone
Old 07-26-2009, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Leo_Koneval
Coolant is a important one, as going long trips without stopping for a few hours like if you were going to work or something might strain the engine with the issue of cooling. But it looks like you are all set, other than a few minor things, like:

- Checking washer fluid reservoir you never know when a dump truck in front you blows dust all over your car, blinding you while going 70MPH

- Check your wiper blades

- Make sure you bring a emergency kit, like flares, a danger triangle, and ect.

- Maybe a can of those tire sealers in case you run a flat

- Jacks

- Flash lights

- Emergency food (I.E beef jerky, crackers)

- Blankets

- Backup cell phone
All good stuff, I always carry a roll of duct tape and a jug of water for long trips like this.
Don't forget to bring common sense.
We just had a guy killed here in Richmond because they chose to fix a flat on the roadway of a bridge instead of driving a 1/2 mile to safety.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr

problem in a rent car is much less expensive than a problem in your own ride...Let enterprise go to hell,but you car shoudn't

That's why you don't know the rent history,and always expect the worst,because people get them to smash and go,and keep their cars aaace safe
Old 07-26-2009, 05:01 PM

check for ecu ghost codes before you go. check coolant hoses for swelling or other signs of aging. Check brake hoses. Tire pressures.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:06 PM

You said the belts look good, but when were they last changed? Hoses and belts going are always a concern on a long trip in the summer.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:10 PM

ick such a boring drive...i flew down to radford and drove a 18ft truck up to minnesota through the mountains lol fun stuff.....once you get out of the mountains...the drive is sooo damn boring....

gl
Old 07-27-2009, 03:52 AM
Zog

Originally Posted by Stormzusmc
ick such a boring drive...i flew down to radford and drove a 18ft truck up to minnesota through the mountains lol fun stuff.....once you get out of the mountains...the drive is sooo damn boring....

gl
Yeah I kinda figured once i got through west-by-god-virginia it would straight, flat, boring driving.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:20 PM

i always make sure that my hoses especially coolant hoses arent dry rotting or cracking...and my battery terminals dont get corroded
Old 08-02-2009, 08:51 PM

i would also change the oil