4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

About to replace a/c compresor. Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 04:39 PM

About to replace a/c compresor. Need advice

Ok,
I have a '97 I30 with 134k that I want to make a daily driver but the a/c doesnt work. What I know... I had the system charged by a buddy who is a mechanic and it worked very well day one, the next morning I noticed it car was making a strange noise, took it back to him and he said it was the compressor making noise. He told me to buy a can of pag46 oil to put in, to no avail. He told me to drive it like it was and see if it needed to work through the system. I drove it for a day and the next day the car started to overheat while at a bank drivethrough. That had NEVER even gotten to the warm side. No fluid lost but it went towards the top, I turned the a/c off and the temp dropped back down fine. Just wanted to give some background so I could get quality input on what is neccessary to to do when replacing?
Thanks to all in advance!
Old 08-05-2009, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by DCZC
Ok,
I have a '97 I30 with 134k that I want to make a daily driver but the a/c doesnt work. What I know... I had the system charged by a buddy who is a mechanic and it worked very well day one, the next morning I noticed it car was making a strange noise, took it back to him and he said it was the compressor making noise. He told me to buy a can of pag46 oil to put in, to no avail. He told me to drive it like it was and see if it needed to work through the system. I drove it for a day and the next day the car started to overheat while at a bank drivethrough. That had NEVER even gotten to the warm side. No fluid lost but it went towards the top, I turned the a/c off and the temp dropped back down fine. Just wanted to give some background so I could get quality input on what is neccessary to to do when replacing?
Thanks to all in advance!

ok..did you check your A/C fan?...to check this turn on your A/C and go check the fans, it supposed the two fans to be running. If one of them is not running that's the problem. Check this first and let me Know.

Last edited by MaxPR0908; 08-05-2009 at 06:25 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:36 PM

The noise your hearing is probably your comp going out and might be lockin up. I think that would cause over heating but like max pro said check your fan when you turn your ac on. Other than that if you do need to replace your comp it very easy to do.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:16 PM

yeak, I replaced that fan already a few months ago, I had never noticed, but it was melted to it's motor(fan motor, not the engine) It had never overheated but my mechanic caught it during a regular service.
I plan on replacing the compressor, and my personal mechanic is very honest, but a shadetree mechanic all the same. What would replacing the compressor myself entail?
Thanks!
Old 08-05-2009, 08:18 PM

yeak, I replaced that fan already a few months ago, I had never noticed, but it was melted to it's motor(fan motor, not the engine) It had never overheated but my mechanic caught it during a regular service.
I plan on replacing the compressor, and my personal mechanic is very honest, but a shadetree mechanic all the same. What would replacing the compressor myself entail?
Thanks!
ok...if your cooling fans are in perfect working order,then you must flush your radiator and if i were you changed the thermostat too. As for your compressor, it is your decision to buy a used one or new, a used one can work for a period of time(difficult to tell) and the new one is more expensive but at least it can last much longer. You can remove your compressor it is really easy..

A/C compressor removal:
1.Remove the drivebelt
2.Disconnect the wiring harness to the compressor
3.Disconnect the refrigerant lines from the compressor(two 12mm bolts)
4.Unbolt the compressor mounting bolts(4 14mm bolts)

Installation is reverse of the removal, then have the system evacuated,recharged and leak tested.good luck!

Last edited by MaxPR0908; 08-07-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:37 PM

Thanks!
I have been looking at rebuilt units on ebay with good reviews, what category would these fit in your calculation, also, is it safe to have the unit flushed after I put the new compressor on? I know it sint locked, up it was just noisy, My mechanic said it had to be leaking from the front of the compressor because he tested the pressure and it held steady before the compressor engaged? does that make any sense to you, he is a friend of mine and pretty honest, I do know that the freon had evacuated the system within 3 days of filling it.

Originally Posted by MaxPR0908
ok...if your cooling fans are in perfect working order,then you must flush your radiator and if i were you changed the thermostat too. As for your compressor, it is your decision to buy a used one or new, a used one can work for a period of time(difficult to tell) and the new one is more expensive but at least it can last much longer. You can remove your compressor it is really easy..

A/C compressor removal:
1.Remove the drivebelt
2.Disconnect the wiring harness to the compressor
3.Disconnect the refrigerant lines from the compressor(two 12mm bolts)
4.Unbolt the compressor mounting bolts(4 bolts 14mm)

Installation is reverse of the removal, then have the system evacuated,recharged and leak tested.good luck!
Old 08-05-2009, 08:47 PM

Not much removing the compressor is pretty easy. Loosen the belt tensioner pulley then loosen the belt adjuster, remove belt then there is 4 bolts holding the comp up. 14mm i belive(correct me if im wrong) and there are 2 small nuts holding the two aluminum hoses. And the comp should come out. Some advice i will give you is replace your drier and expansion valve, you can get them both for under 100 bucks at your local part store. Last year i replaced jus my comp trying to be cheap i didnt replace anything else and my comp lasted me jus a couple of months. So i learned my lesson lol. This year i did a flush and replaced comp, drier and expansion valve and let me tell you my ac is ice cold. So if your gonna replace you comp do a system flush replace drier and expansion valve.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:29 PM

Any ideas as to the total cost of buying parts, getting the system flushed, and assembly. Help and input is appreciated
Old 08-06-2009, 09:24 PM

Any ideas as to the total cost of buying parts, getting the system flushed, and assembly. Help and input is appreciated
The advice of replace your drier and expansion valve is true, this is because with time your compressor it wears away and create metal particles in the system. This metal particles can damage your new compressor. well as for cost, this was my experience doing it myself( Removal and installation of the compressor and drier)

1.New compressor(not original) $275.00
2.New drier $15.00
3.System flush,evacuated and recharged $80.00

Total : $370.00
Old 08-06-2009, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by MaxPR0908
The advice of replace your drier and expansion valve is true, this is because with time your compressor it wears away and create metal particles in the system. This metal particles can damage your new compressor. well as for cost, this was my experience doing it myself( Removal and installation of the compressor and drier)

1.New compressor(not original) $275.00
2.New drier $15.00
3.System flush,evacuated and recharged $80.00

Total : $370.00
Plus 1 here too, I replaced my compressor but nothing else a few yrs back. My air blows "cool" not cold at all. I loaded the system with oil, so luckily ive had no problems with my new comp. but if u want the system to work properly you gotta replace the dryer at least.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:37 AM

Thanks, but where can I get it for $15? it is $50 at autozone.
Thanks Guys
Old 08-07-2009, 09:10 PM

Come on guys a source for parts? Any fair priced shops in central tx area?
Old 08-07-2009, 11:16 PM

Ebay??
Old 08-07-2009, 11:47 PM

Extreme A/C in dallas is where I got my drier valve... as for my compressor check the .org, there's always a part out goin on, I got my compressor for $85.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:14 PM

Ok, I've done some research. I found a reman. compressor with 6 month warranty on ebay for $195 shipped, +20 for the reciever/drier shipped. I am also wandering if I will need to buy a condenser coil and expansion valve. I can get all for around $350 or just buy the Compressor and receiver/drier for 215. What do you guys think?
Thanks
Old 08-11-2009, 07:20 PM

Anyone who has experience?