7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Blown Rear Deck Subwoofers in non-Bose 2011

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 04:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Replacing Blown Rear Deck Subwoofers in non-Bose 2011

Hi
I've been reading up on the forum but haven't gotten a clear answer in my head yet.

The car is my son's. His buddies blew the rear deck speakers, and Crutchfield said they are stock only.

Are the rear deck speakers 6x9 woofers or subwoofers, and will a 3 way speaker work?

Crutchfield recommended 6x9 400w 4 ohm 3 way speakers with very low (30hz) range. Stock speaker/subwoofer/woofer is 6x9 2 ohm 25w. I've got the car torn apart and comparing the sound between the unmounted 3 ways and the speakers they are replacing, but I can't tell the difference yet.

I realize the 3 way is a waste but the ones I bought had the lowest range. But I'm concerned about the difference between subwoofer/3 way speaker as well as the ohm difference.

Thoughts and advice are appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-08-2015, 09:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

They don't have any 2 or 3ohm drivers? I know Infinity & JBL had 2 & 3ohm drivers in the past.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I also plan to change speakers on my non-bose system, not because its damaged but because not impressed with the sound this gives. However i was planning to just get the bose speakers from Maximas in the scrap market. Only worry i have is that removing the door panels and all that to replace speaker will end up causing rattles.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

gonna give you a little lesson about how speakers work basically

Originally Posted by jskirwin
Hi
I've been reading up on the forum but haven't gotten a clear answer in my head yet.

The car is my son's. His buddies blew the rear deck speakers, and Crutchfield said they are stock only.

Are the rear deck speakers 6x9 woofers or subwoofers, and will a 3 way speaker work?

Crutchfield recommended 6x9 400w 4 ohm 3 way speakers with very low (30hz) range. Stock speaker/subwoofer/woofer is 6x9 2 ohm 25w. I've got the car torn apart and comparing the sound between the unmounted 3 ways and the speakers they are replacing, but I can't tell the difference yet.

I realize the 3 way is a waste but the ones I bought had the lowest range. But I'm concerned about the difference between subwoofer/3 way speaker as well as the ohm difference.

Thoughts and advice are appreciated. Thanks!
Ok so basically the difference between the 3 way or just the woofer is that the woofer is part of a component system with the tweeters and woofers being separated, the woofers which in the back are for bass and the tweeters which are usually up front on the door pillars are for treble. Then the door speakers are usually a mix between these which is called mid bass (makes sense right) because the smaller the speaker, the higher the frequency(sound)

The 3 way should have the same amount of bass (maybe a little less cuz the tweeters block the sound waves a little but this difference in bass is not noticeable) however the difference in treble is more noticeable and when the whole system is set up and doors are closed the treble is louder and more clear simply because there are more tweeters now in the car therefore adding more higher frequency sounds to the mix, personally i like the 3 way better because then i can actually hear the song over the bass when its loud but too much treble is bad too cuz it might be to clear and just hurt your ears, but 3 ways in the back are perfect i think just my opinion.

Now the difference in ohm is the amount that the speakers distorts(meaning you hear a noise that sounds well not right) when its close to its max power and the lower the ohm the better because less distortion, most speakers are 4 ohm 3 is good 2 is great but more expensive usually and 1 is hard to find but amazing. so 4 ohm is ok if your son is not a sound expert he wont really know the difference.

Also you should look into getting an amp for the car if it doesn't have one already and if it does then get a better one so the speakers wont get blown again or if they do they will last a lot longer anyways.

You should try to teach him or learn with him about this stuff so he knows what to pick on his own as well and knows what he likes,this can save money and time. its all very possible to learn easily, im 18 now but i knew literally nothing about this stuff when i was 16 and i learned about the basics all before i was 17 from online or just asking experts or people at best buy lol and just anyone who knows about this stuff. If he doesnt take to it then no harm done though not everyone is in love with or as picky about music as i am haha.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:18 AM

"Now the difference in ohm is the amount that the speakers distorts(meaning you hear a noise that sounds well not right) when its close to its max power and the lower the ohm the better because less distortion, most speakers are 4 ohm 3 is good 2 is great but more expensive usually and 1 is hard to find but amazing. so 4 ohm is ok if your son is not a sound expert he wont really know the difference. "

This is completely and totally false.

Ohm is a measure of speaker resistance. It really has very little to do with sound quality until you get very, very far into everything else that makes a speaker work.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

oh, yah i dont really know about ohm that much honeslty

Originally Posted by MaximaDrvr
"Now the difference in ohm is the amount that the speakers distorts(meaning you hear a noise that sounds well not right) when its close to its max power and the lower the ohm the better because less distortion, most speakers are 4 ohm 3 is good 2 is great but more expensive usually and 1 is hard to find but amazing. so 4 ohm is ok if your son is not a sound expert he wont really know the difference. "

This is completely and totally false.

Ohm is a measure of speaker resistance. It really has very little to do with sound quality until you get very, very far into everything else that makes a speaker work.
all i know is that when i used a 1 ohm sub for my car compared to a 4 ohm sub, the 1 ohm didnt distort nearly as much as the 4 ohm sub did at high lvl so i was just saying my knowledge from my understanding sorry for giving false information i really didnt know i was told that lower impedance is better, but the other info in my reply should be correct and if you could elaborate on the ohm more, like how it actually affects the sound that would be great, im always interested in understanding things better
Old 06-08-2016, 05:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by kriv0240
all i know is that when i used a 1 ohm sub for my car compared to a 4 ohm sub, the 1 ohm didnt distort nearly as much as the 4 ohm sub did at high lvl so i was just saying my knowledge from my understanding sorry for giving false information i really didnt know i was told that lower impedance is better, but the other info in my reply should be correct and if you could elaborate on the ohm more, like how it actually affects the sound that would be great, im always interested in understanding things better
If you don't know about speaker resistance, you shouldn't be giving any advice on what speakers to get. That can be a very costly mistake if you chose the incorrect impedance.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:49 AM

Messrs Faraday, Coulomb, Lenz, Jensen and Ohm are turning in their graves right now.