4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Problems With My Clutch/Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 12:07 AM

Problems With My Clutch/Shifting

Ok so tonight after a normal day, I started my car up and I had an extremely hard time putting it in gear, after getting the car to move forward, the only way to get it in any other gear is to double clutch. Another thing that I noticed is my engagement was near the bottom (not at the bottom, but near), it is definitely noticeably lower than what it use to be. Oh and I just remembered, the clutch pedal also feels lighter, but that is a little more objective than the rest of the symptoms, the rest of the symptoms I'm 100% sure on as for the stiffness change maybe 60%.

I have the Exedy Stage 1 clutch and a Short Shifter (brand name unknown) on the car (no idea when it was installed) and it's not slipping one bit, it's just the lower engagement, near impossible to change gears without double clutching and possibly the stiffness change.

And for Pmohr, the only thing I have done to the car beforehand was install a new radio, and put in gas.

My hope is that I just need to add/flush the tranny fluid, and not replace the clutch in the car.... I can't check it right now becuase it's 2 am in the morning, but my worst fear is when I check the tranny fluid it's fine... Do I need to replace my clutch or not?

Last edited by aackshun; 08-13-2009 at 12:32 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:35 AM

If the clutch still seems to be grabbing good and pulling fine then hopefully theclutch and pressure plate are still okay.

Sounds like a possible problem with the Master and Save cylinder.

Since you mention having to doubleclutch it makes me believe you need to build up enough pressure to depress the pressure plate.

Did you check the fluid level in the clutch master cylinder??

If it's low that's a good indication that your slave cylinder is leaking.

Otherwise it may be that your master is leaking internally and not building pressure.

Just do a search. Tere a quite a few threads about troubleshooting the system.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:23 AM

sounds like a bad slave to me, lucky it didnt just go out all together. happned to me and my friend in his civic years ago like 3hrs from our houses. had to start the car in 3rd while pushing and jump in and drive the 3hrs with the engine screaming in 3rd.
check for leaks and if you find one trace it to its origin. would suck if its the master they are a bit more pricey. check for debris in the master, sometime the seals start to go there will be debris floating around in the fluid in the master.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:27 AM

i had a similar problem. it turned out the the clutch master was dry and i traced it to a leaking hose. bought a ss line from the gd and its been fine since.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:08 AM

My master cylinder is empty.... I guess along with installing a compressor today I will be replacing my line and bleeding.....

Anyways I'm pretty sure that's the problem so for anyone else who finds this years later....

http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/802

That's what I'm doing today...

Thanks for your help guys.

I did use search, but I was finding some threads about the ACT clutch going out and causing similar issues, I got scared cause I do have an aftermarket clutch in the car but since it's the master cylinder I am pretty much overjoyed.

Last edited by aackshun; 08-13-2009 at 07:13 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:16 AM

Glad I could help.

Sometimes it pays to be old and have had or at least seen these problem many times.

Good luck and keep us up to date.

And by the way, I hate hydraulic clutches. Why can't we just have a pretty much trouble free cable?

Though when you use a Stage 1 or 2 Pressure plate it's nice to have the power and ease of hydraulic.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:28 AM
Hooooooonda.....

Originally Posted by aackshun
My master cylinder is empty.... I guess along with installing a compressor today I will be replacing my line and bleeding.....

Anyways I'm pretty sure that's the problem so for anyone else who finds this years later....

http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/802

That's what I'm doing today...

Thanks for your help guys.

I did use search, but I was finding some threads about the ACT clutch going out and causing similar issues, I got scared cause I do have an aftermarket clutch in the car but since it's the master cylinder I am pretty much overjoyed.
I don't understand why checking the fluid level wasn't the first thing you did?
Old 08-13-2009, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by DAVE Sz
I don't understand why checking the fluid level wasn't the first thing you did?
My hope is that I just need to add/flush the tranny fluid, and not replace the clutch in the car.... I can't check it right now becuase it's 2 am in the morning, but my worst fear is when I check the tranny fluid it's fine... Do I need to replace my clutch or not?
I don't know about you, but working on a car at 2am in the morning with a drowsy head... doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:15 AM

Check the fluids.I had a small leak in the hose, and my clutch went straight to the floor on I-95.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:35 AM
Hooooooonda.....

I don't know about you, but working on a car at 2am in the morning with a drowsy head... doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

No one told you to work on the car. I just asked why you didn't check fluids first instead of running inside and asking here...
Old 08-13-2009, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by DAVE Sz
No one told you to work on the car. I just asked why you didn't check fluids first instead of running inside and asking here...
So I could have some more ides from people who have more experience when I woke up and tackled the issue, instead of flying in with shades on. I've done that before on another issue and ended up causing more trouble than I needed, so I wanted to be on the safe side, also again, I searched using relative terms to my issues and there was not one definite thread on my issue, I hope this one will serve as an aid to someone in the future though.

Honestly I have bigger problems now, someone just did a hit and run on my car when I went out to go buy the stuff to fix my car. When it rains it pours.

[Edit] Of course it's the $50 hose that leaks and not any of the cheaper ones XD. Well I ordered a gang of em from the local dealer here, it was only a few $$$ more than courtesy.

Last edited by aackshun; 08-13-2009 at 04:11 PM.