4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Testing Digital Climate control/and Understanding the Codes

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 07:52 AM
Banned

Testing Digital Climate control/and Understanding the Codes

Ok im trying to diagnos my a/c system issue, now I found a thread for the 5th gen explaing how to start the car and hit the off button on the a/c digital unit and then i get a solid 2 , then i wait a few senconds then a flashing 5 ... then i hit the up arrow for heat and get a 3 then i wait and i get a flashing 0 .... finally i get the number 41 45 46 etc and it blows the air out of different vents and it blows warm to hot .. im assuming it blows warm to hit cause my a/c isnt blowing cold..

when I bought the car the woman told me that her husband the "mechanic" let out all the r134 ... so it needs to be charged .. but what i also noticed is that the car had a major oil leak from the head which dried up on the altenatr which i just got changed and the harness cause of the crud build up "altenator had a recall " prior to the altenator being changed my lights would blink contiuosly . that problem has been resolve .. long story short im wondering if all that crud affected my compressor?
( head gasket has been changed)
Old 09-09-2009, 08:05 AM

This is all from the FSM.

The 2 is for the sensor check, 25 means that your sunload sensor is functioning, unless you did this test with no light around the car (like in a very dark shaded area).

30 means all of your vents are working

41, 42 SHOULD be cold air coming out of the vents, 43-46 should be hot air, again the FSM says that the engine should be running for all of these checks.

End of the FSM quoting.

Now since I don't have A/C either, I'm going through the same process.

If the mechanic intentionally let out all of the R-134 in the system then he probably either spotted a leak, or saw that the compressor was bad (that's what mine did), go under your car and see it the compressor is hooked up to the belt (mine wasn't), and if it is, then I would run the engine to make sure it's spinning freely. If the compressor isn't hooked up (like mine was) check the disc, mine is seized to hell and covered in something really dark, smoke, oil, I dunno.

But still either way a trip to the shop is in order, R-134 aint stuff to play around with.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by aackshun
This is all from the FSM.

The 2 is for the sensor check, 25 means that your sunload sensor is functioning, unless you did this test with no light around the car (like in a very dark shaded area).

30 means all of your vents are working

41, 42 SHOULD be cold air coming out of the vents, 43-46 should be hot air, again the FSM says that the engine should be running for all of these checks.

End of the FSM quoting.

Now since I don't have A/C either, I'm going through the same process.

If the mechanic intentionally let out all of the R-134 in the system then he probably either spotted a leak, or saw that the compressor was bad (that's what mine did), go under your car and see it the compressor is hooked up to the belt (mine wasn't), and if it is, then I would run the engine to make sure it's spinning freely. If the compressor isn't hooked up (like mine was) check the disc, mine is seized to hell and covered in something really dark, smoke, oil, I dunno.

But still either way a trip to the shop is in order, R-134 aint stuff to play around with.
I will check out all of those possibilities you mentioned, and I will go through it ...nice max I love the red ....
Old 09-09-2009, 08:19 AM
Banned

and the 5 and 0 would flash right?
Old 09-09-2009, 08:33 AM

Thanks! It's the best $2600 I've spent, don't regret a single thing, even though it is a '99.

Well in my 99 FSM after you pres the ^ (Hot) button it should display 51 and then some final check throughs then that's the end of the self diagnosis.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by aackshun
Thanks! It's the best $2600 I've spent, don't regret a single thing, even though it is a '99.

Well in my 99 FSM after you pres the ^ (Hot) button it should display 51 and then some final check throughs then that's the end of the self diagnosis.

hmm 51 you say? i only get a 41

and ya if i could get ahold of a red 4th gen id be suped!!
Old 09-09-2009, 09:08 AM

Oh yah i'm stoked to have 99.5... random misfire problems, I really can't find the source of it either... and my fave new problem, FINDING A COMPRESSOR, apparently the 99's are unique.... But on those days I just take a step back and enjoy the fact that it's Crimson Blaze, all of my problems seem to go away then.

Anywho...

Honestly you really don't need to do the 51 test, you said that you didn't feel any cold air come out when it did the 41 on the screen, when cold air should come out when it does 41 and 42.

You already have the R-134 out of your system so you're not going to have cold air anyways. Have a mech check it out for leaks, recharge it and if it works then it works!

Oh yah if it's your compressor... I got one for ya!
Old 09-09-2009, 09:12 AM
Banned

ok ill keep you informed ..