4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

bucking, stuttering, low idle etc

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 03:57 PM

bucking, stuttering, low idle etc

Hey guys,

this time I really need your guys' help. So here is what my set up is:
Its pretty much stock except for a short ram intake with the MAF sensor kinda wired next to the filter cone. other than that, my engine is stock. Replaced oil(2 weeks ago) and sparks(a year ago) routinly. Im not throwing nay codes and have replaced the knock sensor already.

So here is the issue:
over the last 3 months my car has been falling low in the rpms(300-500) when pushing in the cluth after steady acceleration or cruising) but then it bounces back. starting idle is around 1100-1500 after starting(takes 3-4 cranks to start) Then yesterday, after driving fine, the car started bucking like crazy, and it felt like the engine was gonna die out. Pushing the clutch back in would set the rpms back to 600-ish. When in neutral and revving, the car seemed like it wasn't getting enough gas and would die out. Seems like its not getting enough gas.

So yeah, please let me know what I can do. Much appreciated
Old 11-03-2009, 04:50 AM

check your MAF sensor. i have an auto but when mines was bad it wasnt throwing any codes but that def was the problem. check it asap
Old 11-04-2009, 09:13 AM

This reeks of a MAF issue. Especially since you've been pokin around there. If it's not reading the proper amount of air, it's not going to deliver the correct amount of fuel.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:26 PM

I cleaned the MAF sensor with maf cleaner and also scrubbed out the TB with throttle body cleaner. So far its been a lot better, but it comes back from time to time. Say after 10-15 minutes of driving. Now it only happens in 1,2, and 3rd gear. Starting in 1st gives me those old sputtering issues, so I have to go into 2nd really quick.

Does this mean my MAF is so crapped out that I need to replace it? Let me know guys.

btw, I have done all my research on these forums but nothing really applies to what i am experiencing
Old 11-09-2009, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by rizzindriver89
I cleaned the MAF sensor with maf cleaner and also scrubbed out the TB with throttle body cleaner. So far its been a lot better, but it comes back from time to time. Say after 10-15 minutes of driving. Now it only happens in 1,2, and 3rd gear. Starting in 1st gives me those old sputtering issues, so I have to go into 2nd really quick.

Does this mean my MAF is so crapped out that I need to replace it? Let me know guys.

btw, I have done all my research on these forums but nothing really applies to what i am experiencing
Sputtering... Could that be shaking the car? Like as if the engine is moving... Sounds like what I have to do...
Old 11-10-2009, 03:05 PM

No sputtering as in bucking back and forth, as if its not getting enoguh gas. Its drivable now, but it still does it in 1st and 2nd. So I'm really on the fence of just buying a new maf and a new tps.

any input?
Old 11-10-2009, 05:05 PM

No sputtering as in bucking back and forth, as if its not getting enoguh gas. Its drivable now, but it still does it in 1st and 2nd. So I'm really on the fence of just buying a new maf and a new tps.

any input?
Does the problem stop if you disengage (pedal in) the clutch?
Old 11-14-2009, 03:56 PM

So i figured out what the stuterring issue is, everyone with these bucking, stalling, surging, and crappy idleing problems:

Its most likely your IAT sensor. The little one that looks liek it does nothing, yup that one! After replacing maf and tps sensors, cleaning throttlebody and iacv, and testing coil packs, injectors and checking spark plugs, my car finally decided to throw me a code: IAT failure!

Replace it asap and your problems will go away!

good luck
Old 11-14-2009, 06:18 PM

yeah you go ahead and replace it and let us know how that goes
Old 01-29-2010, 04:59 PM

I wouldnt bother with the IAT. Check the TPS but dont count on the specs to tell-all. I'd get a used front and rear coil from the classifieds to swap out and diagnose. You can always re-sell them if none turn out to be bad. I replaced my TPS with new but have quite a few used ones I would swap out to diagnose with if you are interested. I think I have 3, I dont think there was anything wrong with any of them but since I can't guarantee any of it I'd be willing to sell them to you for cheap. LMK!
Old 01-30-2010, 12:02 PM

I don't see why there would be anything wrong with an aftermarket coil. I bought brand new from an ebay dealer and payed like 300 bucks one time but now I think id just buy used or aftermarket.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:04 PM

i bought my 95 se in october 09. lots of issues are you are describing. i was told MAF sensor, injectors, etc etc... well, not having much of a budget, i decided to throw some fuel injector cleaner (fuel additive) on top of premium 92+ fuel each and every time and my problem has been completely eliminated. its been good since the end of october. this may not fix your issue, but it seems to have fixed mine =)
Old 01-30-2010, 07:27 PM

i have to clean my maf and throttle body also.. im havin a similar problem
Old 02-19-2010, 11:30 AM

Ok, so its been about 2 months now and my problems have completley dissapeared since I replaced my MAF and IAT sensor. They seemed to be the culprit snce the car runs beautifull now. Chillin, im not saying that the IAT played a major role, but if its sending a funky signal to the ecu, it might reatard the timing, fuel mixture etc.

I did not however, replace one and then the other so I will never know who was doing the most damage.

On a side note, mrfliboi, I tried cleaning both with little effect. It will help for a couple of days, but once the engine gets really warm itwill come back. If u need a MAF sensor, I have a spare one since I bought one too many.(its not the broken one though lol, that one was thrown in the trash with much enthusiasm
Old 02-19-2010, 12:16 PM

autozone sells MAFs now....which is quite dope if i might add hehe
Old 02-19-2010, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by musicman6784
Finally got around to changing spark plugs today. While I was doing that I tested resistance of each coil pack. My readings were all over the place between the 6 coils. Should the resistance of each be relatively close to the others?

YEs the resistance of each coil shd be within spec. If they were all over the place then most likely they have gone bad. Get coils from a 98 max as i have hrd the earlier model coils were WAY more reliable than the 99's
Old 02-20-2010, 08:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

MANNNN IM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY MAX!!!!!! going to try this out on mines and hope and pray it works for me .its been driving ****ING CRAZY for the past few weeks HOPE IT WORKS THANKS GUYZ
So i figured out what the stuterring issue is, everyone with these bucking, stalling, surging, and crappy idleing problems:

Its most likely your IAT sensor. The little one that looks liek it does nothing, yup that one! After replacing maf and tps sensors, cleaning throttlebody and iacv, and testing coil packs, injectors and checking spark plugs, my car finally decided to throw me a code: IAT failure!

Replace it asap and your problems will go away!

good luck
Old 02-21-2010, 08:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

yup! im in atlanta what part of town are in ?? im in stone mountian
Originally Posted by musicman6784
I retested my coil packs yesterday, but differently than the first time. I left the coil packs screwed in while I tested. All my resistance readings were close to each other as they should be. So I am sort of lost again. Coil pack #1 is broken where it meets the boot, should that cause a problem even though it is screwed in tight? I have been reading this thread and thought I had problem diagnosed to coil packs...

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...le-idling.html

But now after testing they seem ok. Reading this thread I posting on I see the IAT coming up. If the IAT is the sensor attached to the intake air box right before the MAF then I have it but there is nothing plugged into it nor can I find any unplugged terminal dangling in the egine bay that would connect to it. Thoughts?

Anyone here in Atlanta?

Thanks in advance.

Joey
Old 02-21-2010, 09:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

well i give it a shot today to try the IAT but no luck with that NOW!!! WHAT DO I DO??? this car is getting to me . i have replaced my MAS AIR FLOW SENSOR all new COIL PACKS the IAC valve and i did the EGR tube cleaning and put a new EGR valve on the car just can't find the problem to my car some one HELP ME!
Old 02-22-2010, 10:33 PM

YEAH, ITS GOTTA BE THE COIL PACKS.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by 95se-rmax
well i give it a shot today to try the IAT but no luck with that NOW!!! WHAT DO I DO??? this car is getting to me . i have replaced my MAS AIR FLOW SENSOR all new COIL PACKS the IAC valve and i did the EGR tube cleaning and put a new EGR valve on the car just can't find the problem to my car some one HELP ME!

Seems like and air issue to me. Any codes? Did u replace the IAT with new.

THe MAF is going bad if RPMS dont rise above 2400
Old 02-24-2010, 10:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

nope no codes at the time and i HAVE ALL NEW PARTS that i installed on car new mass air flow sensor IAT coilpacks and more stuff
Originally Posted by cashoit
Seems like and air issue to me. Any codes? Did u replace the IAT with new.

THe MAF is going bad if RPMS dont rise above 2400