4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

starter? ignition switch?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 02:07 PM

starter? ignition switch?

My 97 maxima has recently decided to start only when it is in the mood! Turning the key, all lights on the dash light up normally and some times it cranks perfectly.

Other times it just "clicks"(behind the dasha) and does not crank at all. I can sit there for 5 minutes turning the key with nothing happening and then all of a sudden, it cranks and starts perfectly.

Does this sound like the starter or the ignition switch? What is the best way to narrow it down?

Thanks
Old 11-14-2009, 02:31 PM

Sounds like your starter is going bad. If you don't hear any "clicking" from under the hood...chances are your starter solenoid is on it's way out.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:54 PM
No more Maximas...

Where exactly is the clicking coming from? Are you sure it's behind the dash, and not from the solenoid?

Have you checked all connections at the battery and the starter?

If you jiggle the key around when trying to start it, does it help at all?

Is this an auto or 5MT? If auto, have you tried starting it in neutral as well, or moving the shifter around in park?

If 5MT, have you tried bypassing the clutch switch entirely?
Old 11-15-2009, 12:25 AM

pmohr;7296351]Where exactly is the clicking coming from? Are you sure it's behind the dash, and not from the solenoid?
Sounds like it is under the dash but I will check under the hood as soon as I can line up someone to turn the key for me.

Have you checked all connections at the battery and the starter?
As best I can without removing the air box and all appear tight.

If you jiggle the key around when trying to start it, does it help at all?
No. THis does not appear to make any difference.

Is this an auto or 5MT? If auto, have you tried starting it in neutral as well, or moving the shifter around in park?
5MT.

If 5MT, have you tried bypassing the clutch switch entirely?
No. Checked the set up to make sure the switch weas being depressed completely. Can I bypass with simple jumpers?
Old 11-15-2009, 10:23 AM

The symptoms sound similar to when my ignition switch was bad. Clicking but no cranking. I could usually coax it into starting by turning the key all the way back and then all the way forward again.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:20 PM

Sounds exactly like what I fought with for the better part of a year. The good news is, it's a simple fix. See my posts #13 and 18 here: http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...ml#post7075437. After doing this, I have had only one non-start in almost 2 years, and that was caused by my tape finally falling out. I replaced it, and it's been perfect since.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:07 PM

Okay...

Tried jumping the clutch defeat switch and - nothing!!

Got my wife to try starting the engine while I listened under the hood and DEFINITELY the starter or solenoid is making noise. More of a whirr-bzzz sound than a click but it will not crank. It did actually crank and start once but that has been the pattern.

I would assume this means the clutch switch and ignition switch are okay as power is getting to the starter?

If correct (please, some of you confirm my diagnosis), I will order up a starter and install it myself(have done this a couple of times - piece of cake)

Any suggestions on good remanufactured or after market starters? e-bay?
Old 11-16-2009, 04:59 PM

Take the starter out and get it tested. If it's the factory original it probably needs to be replaced by now.

All the reman starters I've seen are OEM Nissan (Hitachi) starters that are rebuilt by Autozone, Advance Auto, Bosch, Denso, ect. You are paying for the quality of the rebuild. I'd go with the lowest price I could find.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:44 PM
KH3 by popular demand

If you hear the starter motor turning like it is not engaged then maybe the solenoid went bad. A way to check is just touch a screw driver across the 2 terminals, it should kick out, if it doesn't, it may be bad. Double check the coil with a nultimeter. If you just hear relays click and no starter motor turning check if you are getting juice to the wire leading to the starter from the main wiring harness. There is a gray connection. Mine would start when it wanted to until it stopped starting, turned out the wire from the main harness connected to the ignition switch had an open in it. Our cars are old and the wires eventually go bad.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Nopike
Take the starter out and get it tested. If it's the factory original it probably needs to be replaced by now.

All the reman starters I've seen are OEM Nissan (Hitachi) starters that are rebuilt by Autozone, Advance Auto, Bosch, Denso, ect. You are paying for the quality of the rebuild. I'd go with the lowest price I could find.
Not orignal but a reman unit about 3-4 years old. I'll be pulling it tomorrow likely.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by maxgtr2000
If you hear the starter motor turning like it is not engaged then maybe the solenoid went bad. A way to check is just touch a screw driver across the 2 terminals, it should kick out, if it doesn't, it may be bad. Double check the coil with a nultimeter. If you just hear relays click and no starter motor turning check if you are getting juice to the wire leading to the starter from the main wiring harness. There is a gray connection. Mine would start when it wanted to until it stopped starting, turned out the wire from the main harness connected to the ignition switch had an open in it. Our cars are old and the wires eventually go bad.
Thanks.

I'll give this a try.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by dibquib
Thanks.

I'll give this a try.
I have exactly the same problem on my 96 Max 5speed. I changed out the ignition switch and battery. The problem improved but still just about everytime I turn the key to start the car there is a dead spot. I have to turn the key to the point of starter engagement 2 to 4 times and the motor fires off. But lately it is getting worse. It's like there is a dead spot in the solinoid, who knows. Keep us abreast of what fixes your problem. In the mean time I might just go to a good mechanic who can test replace and guarantee the repair. I hate stuff like this.
I feel your frustration man.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:08 AM

I used to have the exact same problem. Do you get one click somewhere in the dash or is it a click or constant clicking coming from under the hood?

Under the hood, starter solenoid or starter. If it is for certain in the dash, I would say it is the ignition switch. Does the temperature have anything to do with it? Mine would work pretty well in the cold and not at all in the heat. I just took about 5 minutes to swap out the ignition switch and it works amazingly now. In fact, I think pmohr made a guide on replacing the ignition switch. It is cheap and easy to do.

Off topic, but speaking of pmohr, that sig quote about the FMU just made me burst out laughing in the middle of a public library.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:09 AM

If you're hearing the "clicking" under the hood...then perhaps your starter solenoid is good but the starter motor is bad.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:02 PM

Everything seemed to point to a starter problem so...

Pulled the starter and tested. Solenoid only operated once and then sparked and smoked. The spring inside was shot and the part that holds the bolts was loose in the housing. Probably shorting inside somewhere.

Picked up a new solenoid today, put the starter back together and voila...turns over like a new car!!

Thanks all for your suggestions and help.