4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

95 Nissan Maxima Smelling like gas strong.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 07:41 PM

95 Nissan Maxima Smelling like gas strong.

Well I've noticed when i get out of my car i smell a strong scent of gasoline and i always check under the car n all and dont see no leaking. like its the fumes only but strong fumes.

When i took it to get the brakes changed the guys all told me my gas tank was leaking and when they lifted it up in the air we looked at all the lines and tank and no leaks at all. just strong fumes from the gas tank area.

What could this be? it was not over filled on gas either.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

usually it's the fuel hoses under the hood that will seep at start up when cold. raise the hood before first start up in the morning, start the car, and immediately check the fuel hoses for signs of wetness. leaks quickly dry up unless they are major. you sometimes just tighten the clamps, but may need hoses.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:46 PM

evap canister.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:30 PM

The smell is coming from the rear of the car. and i tried turning the key in morning for pump to prime and didn't smell anything untill it started. every time i stop at a store and my friends are in the car they get out and say dam Travis i still smell that gas strong.

they don't even wanna ride in my car now lol.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Snypa
evap canister.

Or its the line that leads down to the tank when u fill up with gas thats rusted.

Im surprised when u had it in the air that u couldnt find the culprit. Somethin is rusted out. Take it to a real mechanic. Shdnt take long to diagnos the problem.

Last edited by cashoit; 12-04-2009 at 10:49 AM.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Snypa
evap canister.
+2 on that!
Old 12-04-2009, 03:32 PM

i had to same problem and when i went it the mechanic he said there was this minute leak in my tank that give it that smell and really lowered my milage
Old 12-04-2009, 03:35 PM

im guna agree with the other guys sounds like the evap canister. u seem to be having alot of trouble with that car man
Old 12-04-2009, 05:20 PM

Not really many problems car runs good but i drive it 140 miles a day.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by TravisCadello
Well I've noticed when i get out of my car i smell a strong scent of gasoline and i always check under the car n all and dont see no leaking. like its the fumes only but strong fumes.

When i took it to get the brakes changed the guys all told me my gas tank was leaking and when they lifted it up in the air we looked at all the lines and tank and no leaks at all. just strong fumes from the gas tank area.

What could this be? it was not over filled on gas either.
I'm at the same point with a 95. Part 1: The filler hose is leaking where it attaches to the tank and is dripping if parked with a full tank on an incline. So I've been running with 1/2 tank and that problem kind of dissappeared(of course). This'll be fixed. BUT now Part 2: Still got that gas smell after a run with partial tank when I exit the car. I'm going to check the engine compartment as recommended above for signs of a hose/connection leak. I'll be back.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by tex-100
BUT now Part 2: Still got that gas smell after a run with partial tank when I exit the car. I'm going to check the engine compartment as recommended above for signs of a hose/connection leak. I'll be back.
You may not be filling the tank more than half, but when you are driving, the gas is sloshing around in the tank and small amounts are leaking out.

Fix the known leak and maybe that will take care of your problem.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:24 PM

because of the rainy and windy weather here i haven't smelt the gas when leaving the car.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:48 AM

Scared of what's to be found in MY own 95.

Got this 95 less than a month ago to cannibalize but decided to run it. MAybe a mistake because the car is originally from Milwaukee and rusted underneath. The top is fine though. And so's the engine. About the gas odor, had some work done under the car and the opinion from the guy on the creeper was that if it's a tank problem, it might be major because any attempt to turn the hanger bolts would definitely snap them off because of rust. My professional shop guy told me that they can use nitrogen somehow to find where the odor is coming from. If what they find means removal of the tank from a rusty underframe, I have to find some information on how to handle that. This is texas and and I'm sure my shop guys will be grateful for anything I can find about working through a lot of rust and busted bolts. I really have to live with the odor as is though til after New Years. I only get the whiff 1)when exiting the vehicle and 2) if I use "recirculate" on the air cond system.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:17 PM

Well i hardly ever smell my gas fumes but when i do its when im leaving my car.

Today i topped off my tank $43.00 and i seen a leak under my car. i checked it out and it looked to be coming from my filler tube.

Does it just need to be tightened? or replaced?

Thanks,
Old 12-07-2009, 04:34 PM

Same thing!

I haven't touched anything near the filler hose but i have looked at it and that's where my full tank leak is. I assumed another place too, but thinking about it, likely not. It looks like regular hose clamps fastening it to the tank neck so if lucky, it might be just a couple of screwdriver or wrench turns to solve the problem. What you describe is more exactly what I'm experiencing. Odds are, since we're both experiencing the same odor and visible problem, that's all there'll be to it. When the rain stops tomorrow, I'll try to get under there with tools. This is making me feel a bit better, meaning it's highly unlikely, beyond the filler hose problem, that we'd simultaneously have another problem. A replier to my first own reply reminded me that even with a partial tank, the sloshing gas will still find it's way out that filler hose leak even though the level of gas when parked is below the tank neck to which the hose is attached. So fingers crossed.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My 95 gets a strong gas smell when the outdoor temps drop well below freezing, like now, but no smell at all when it's warm outside. Is this related to the evap canister? And does anyone have a picture of the evap can? Where is it under hood? Is it expensive to replace? Thanks.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by beerman151
My 95 gets a strong gas smell when the outdoor temps drop well below freezing, like now, but no smell at all when it's warm outside. Is this related to the evap canister? And does anyone have a picture of the evap can? Where is it under hood? Is it expensive to replace? Thanks.
Download FSM and Search!! It's so fun to see 2 or 3 guys answering all the stupid lazy questions. . . . Waste of space !
Old 12-10-2009, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Fasteddie01
Download FSM and Search!! It's so fun to see 2 or 3 guys answering all the stupid lazy questions. . . . Waste of space !
You shouldn't answer anyone with that tone. I thought you herring chokers had manners, But i guess not.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:48 PM

I'm going to have my own problem looked at in the morning. Somehow nitrogen is used in what the mechanic called a "smoke test" to show any fuel leaks. This test will cost $60. I'll post whatever the result is.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:53 AM

On the hoist, the problem was visible. There's a 1-ft hose between the filler tube vent pipe and the gas tank and this was cracked. Replacement labor plus hose = $15. It was that easy. No more gas odor at this time. Hope you are similarly lucky.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by beerman151
no the evap canister is under the car driver back by the gas tank
Old 03-03-2010, 10:20 AM

Mine is also close to starting, but then smells of gas real strong, like its not getting enough fire...
Old 03-21-2017, 03:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Gasoline Smell Inside

I have a 97' Nissan Maxima, just bought it about a week ago off of a family member. Got it inspected and checked...some things got fixed. Nothing major at all. Runs great. I travel back and forth each week...car is fine with the traveling. Then recently i went to fill the car up with gas ( i dont let it go under half a tank, always make sure its all the way filled) and i parked my car when i got home...went inside for a couple hours....came back out to my car to go somewhere, and the car smelled like gasoline inside my car. Strong smell too. Nothing seemed to be leaking.... my car seemed to stall when i turned it on as well. The smell hasnt gone away and its been 2 days. What could it be?
Old 03-21-2017, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Angelrose339
I have a 97' Nissan Maxima, just bought it about a week ago off of a family member. Got it inspected and checked...some things got fixed. Nothing major at all. Runs great. I travel back and forth each week...car is fine with the traveling. Then recently i went to fill the car up with gas ( i dont let it go under half a tank, always make sure its all the way filled) and i parked my car when i got home...went inside for a couple hours....came back out to my car to go somewhere, and the car smelled like gasoline inside my car. Strong smell too. Nothing seemed to be leaking.... my car seemed to stall when i turned it on as well. The smell hasnt gone away and its been 2 days. What could it be?
well the fuel pump is under the back seat, i think the backseat pulls up with enough force, that would be my guess why you're smelling it inside of the car i'm guessing it's somehow getting in under the backseat maybe the seal is no good or the pump itself is broken

THIS IS ASSUMING you have read all of the replies in this thread about the evap canister and the fuel tank filler neck sometimes developing a leak. Next time you pump gas wait awhile and look around the rear tire for gas dripping, check engine codes for an evap code or try unclogging your evap canister if it's clogged

Last edited by Violator; 03-21-2017 at 03:45 PM.