4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Replacement Headlights for SE - Where to buy?& is SE "different"?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 09:40 AM

Replacement Headlights for SE - Where to buy?& is SE "different"?

I need a replacement headlight for my '99 Max, the stock one is badly discolored.

Are the non-dealer replacement lamps on Ebay or Amazon any good? Any particular brands/sellers people like?

Also, I noticed that one seller had this in their listing "NOTE: Will not fit 1999 GXE & SE models without multi-reflector lamp"

What's a multi-reflector lamp, and do I need to be concerned about this point? I wasn't aware of any difference between the lights in the various models.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:57 AM

I ordered some OEM type replacements for my 98SE from autolightsbulbs.com. for $80 w/shipping. Am supposed to get them early next week. I'll let you know what I think of them.

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...headlamps.html

My understanding is that they fit all 97 98 99 Maxima's. I hope that's right. They look like they are the correct type for my SE.

Last edited by Nopike; 12-10-2009 at 10:30 AM.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:09 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

You do realize you can fix a discolored headlight easily with almost no cost to you.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:14 AM

all 4th gen headlights fit all 4th gens.

95-96 are parabolic reflectors and fluted glass lens.

97-99 are complex-surface reflectors and clear polycarbonate lenses.

They are interchangeable. I have '96 headlights on my '97 right now.

But don't buy new headlights just because the lenses are bad. 3M makes a ~$30 headlight restoration kit that is supposed to work really well. Don't bother with a $5 bottle of Brasso or PlastX and wet-sanding with 2000 grit sandpaper - it doesn't really work that well. The 3M kit has a special compound and buffing pad and stuff to use, and I've only heard good reviews of it.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by nalc
But don't buy new headlights just because the lenses are bad. 3M makes a ~$30 headlight restoration kit that is supposed to work really well. Don't bother with a $5 bottle of Brasso or PlastX and wet-sanding with 2000 grit sandpaper - it doesn't really work that well. The 3M kit has a special compound and buffing pad and stuff to use, and I've only heard good reviews of it.
This.

I used the 3M kit on my 5.5's and they came out so much better than before. And if I recall correctly, it was only $15, so even better! Stay away from brasso and plastx. The 3M works great!
Old 12-10-2009, 11:32 AM

I got a new pair off ebay a few days ago for ~$65 pair (search maxima head lamp) came to little under $60 after bing total.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by AEMAXIMA01
This.

I used the 3M kit on my 5.5's and they came out so much better than before. And if I recall correctly, it was only $15, so even better! Stay away from brasso and plastx. The 3M works great!
Do those kits really work? I know they polish the surface, but isn't the discoloration throughout the plastic?
Old 12-10-2009, 05:41 PM

yes the kits work very well actually. ive done mine a few times they look 85% better. u can take them to the dealership or an auto body shop they will do them cheap too.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:47 PM

i need to buff mine.

i got a new one on one side, and a foggy on the other side
Old 12-10-2009, 08:50 PM

It really depends on how dirty the lenses are and If it's dirty from the inside,because if it's dirty on the inside you will have to open the headlights up and clean them and it depends on the what the problem in the headlight are and if it's not repairable get new headlights. If your going to clean the headlights try the 3M, because there great and I used it on my minivan. If the lights don't shine at the first try than try sanding the headlights evenly and firmly for the best results and the product comes with instructions.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:37 PM

i got a replacement from ebay...its supposed to be direct fit, and when compared to my original it looks pretty exact. however it did not fit perfectly. i ended up using my old bracket lol
Old 12-12-2009, 12:01 PM

Here's another quick home remedy - try using toothpaste (YES tooth paste).. paste it back and forth, more the better and then hose/water/wipe it off and see the difference.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
You do realize you can fix a discolored headlight easily with almost no cost to you.
Thanks for the advise but my headlights have too many issues inside and out. Let's just say the 9004-9007 mod did not go well, got plastic dust in the housing and can't get it clean. So I'll still probably go with new ones.

I just did the GF's headlights with the 3M restore kit and that came out very well, they look almost like new. If you want your headlights to look perfect the kit probably won't get you the results you want but it will get your headlights 95% better.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:31 AM

Does anyone know how to do the cleaning of the headlights from the inside??
Old 07-26-2010, 06:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

That 3M stuff works great. As long as your headlights aren't to far gone, it makes a huge difference.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by mayur914
Does anyone know how to do the cleaning of the headlights from the inside??
The inside should be fine unless you somehow got something in there. The discoloration is on outside and the 3M headlight restorer works great.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:13 AM

http://www.formula1wax.com/products/...hOutLiquid.php

I used this on one of my older cars, used a sponge with this on it to buff it out and it worked fine for those...of course, i'm sure it depends on how bad yours are....but this stuff is like $3....
Old 07-26-2010, 10:40 AM

i did use a solution to clean my headlights but it still seems to be all yellow hm.... maybe ill just get the 3m solution and see how that works
Old 07-26-2010, 10:50 AM

My '95 is gussied up to look like a '97, the previous owner even swapping headlights. I personally would rather have the glass ones for you never have to do anything to them other than washing.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:10 PM

i don't plan on buying headlight, but the glass ones would be a good one to have for sure.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:21 PM

Besides being less prone to clouding, is there any advantage to the glass lenses? I found half a pair at the Pick'N'Pull and glass always feels much nicer than plastic, though I don't spend most of my days rubbing on my headlights so I don't know how much "feel" matters. Is the light pattern any better with the glass units/parabolic reflectors?

I think I just want an excuse to replace a plastic bit with a glass bit. I hate plastic.

As for clouding, my lenses were transparent but yellowed when I bought the car. I also went the Autozone-kit route. A bit of, uh, vigorous back-and-forth rubbing, and the lenses are less yellowed, but not as clear as the corner lights. Oh well - it's a beige car, nobody will notice.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:28 PM

would the hid's be bright after i used a headlight restoration kit?
Old 07-26-2010, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by j-dawg
Besides being less prone to clouding, is there any advantage to the glass lenses? I found half a pair at the Pick'N'Pull and glass always feels much nicer than plastic, though I don't spend most of my days rubbing on my headlights so I don't know how much "feel" matters. Is the light pattern any better with the glass units/parabolic reflectors?

I think I just want an excuse to replace a plastic bit with a glass bit. I hate plastic.

As for clouding, my lenses were transparent but yellowed when I bought the car. I also went the Autozone-kit route. A bit of, uh, vigorous back-and-forth rubbing, and the lenses are less yellowed, but not as clear as the corner lights. Oh well - it's a beige car, nobody will notice.
I don't have an extra set of polycarb 97-99 headlights floating around, but I know that when I went from 97-99 polycarb to 95-96 glass, I did not notice much if any change in brightness. Optical performance should be the same, unless the polycarb ones have bad hazing, in which glass would be better.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:04 PM

The only reason manufacturers went to plastic instead of staying with glass is that it gave them more styling options. As for being a superior covering, no.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:19 PM

I was under the impression that plastic lenses are also better for the 5mph impact test, but I'd assume the main reason was indeed styling - sealed beams really made the impact test a moot point.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:23 AM

My 98 Max lenses are yellow like smoker's teeth.

I tried Permatex a few years ago, about 30 min of rubbing extremely fine wet sandpaper didn't do squat, though it was all by hand.

Like Scratch remover, I've tried lots and despite all the claims, they do squat and I'm out of cash.

Not sure I'd try the 3M product, but if adaptable to power tool, that could work.

Last edited by holymoly; 07-14-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:08 PM

ive said this a million times and ive even made a thread with a bunch of pictures of me doing it:

you can sand and get your lights clearcoated, and they will look better than NEW.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by GGENIUS
ive said this a million times and ive even made a thread with a bunch of pictures of me doing it:

you can sand and get your lights clearcoated, and they will look better than NEW.
Can u post that thread
Old 07-14-2012, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by holymoly
Not sure I'd try the 3M product, but if adaptable to power tool, that could work.
Have you even LOOKED at the 3m kit? It's MADE FOR A POWER DRILL. Sheesh
Old 07-15-2012, 04:52 AM

I've done some searching here and 99% are postings, going off on tangents too, and pictures using commercials products we have mentioned.

Haven't seen details on how you can clearcoast.

edit:
moe searching and GGENIUS says you can get it professionally clearcoated for $50. Was in junkyard yesterday and saw a couple of max's with headlights in pretty clear state. maybe only just a small job with my Permatex kit

Last edited by holymoly; 07-15-2012 at 05:07 AM.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:42 AM

Consumer report test indicate slyvania kit works the best followed by 3m. Turtle wax kit is ok, but the haze reappeared pretty quick. Most of these kits require sanding, does anyone what grade of sandpaper is being used? I have some 2000 grits lying around.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:38 AM

New headlights are like 80 bucks with new corners....idk why people waste sooooo much money on scrarch removers and 3m kits etc etc.. Buy new lights and have them clearcoated...lights will outlast life of your car..BTW THANKS FOR THE TWO YEAR OLD THREAD BUMP
Old 07-15-2012, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by rf97
Can u post that thread
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...eadlights.html

i made the title "restoring headlights," hoping itd be easy for people to search for.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:43 PM

I've done some searching here and 99% are postings, going off on tangents too, and pictures using commercials products we have mentioned.

Haven't seen details on how you can clearcoast.

edit:
moe searching and GGENIUS says you can get it professionally clearcoated for $50. Was in junkyard yesterday and saw a couple of max's with headlights in pretty clear state. maybe only just a small job with my Permatex kit
yeah, i guesstimated that at a BS theyrd probably charge about $50 to sand em to perfection and then clearcoat and bake them. but theyd be done that day and they would NEVER fog again.

if you can find clear oems at the JY thats great, but chances are they will get foggy eventually. 3 coats of clear and those things are UV protected and crystal clear for life.

and then the cheap ebay headlights are nice too, but the beam pattern is said to be not as good as oem, not to mention those things will yellow up in NO TIME.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by MAXIMA_STYLE
New headlights are like 80 bucks with new corners....idk why people waste sooooo much money on scrarch removers and 3m kits etc etc.. Buy new lights and have them clearcoated...lights will outlast life of your car..BTW THANKS FOR THE TWO YEAR OLD THREAD BUMP
you are correct sir. any kit that buffs the surface of the headlight will only temporarily solve your problem. even with a 6000rpm buffer like i have. CC is the way to go.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:45 PM

that's DuPont 74700s clear coat?

What was the time spent sanding?

Something no one mentioned, though after seeing those lens, aesthetics mean more now, how much less illumination caused by yellow lens?

wish Pepsodent did the trick.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:48 AM

yeah, i guesstimated that at a BS theyrd probably charge about $50 to sand em to perfection and then clearcoat and bake them. but theyd be done that day and they would NEVER fog again.

if you can find clear oems at the JY thats great, but chances are they will get foggy eventually. 3 coats of clear and those things are UV protected and crystal clear for life.

and then the cheap ebay headlights are nice too, but the beam pattern is said to be not as good as oem, not to mention those things will yellow up in NO TIME.
$50 for BS to do a great job is probably the way to go.

I'm sure the illumination quality will be enhanced.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:02 AM

that's DuPont 74700s clear coat?

What was the time spent sanding?

Something no one mentioned, though after seeing those lens, aesthetics mean more now, how much less illumination caused by yellow lens?

wish Pepsodent did the trick.
also $50 is probably an over estimate. the time spent sanding in the pics i posted was literally like 5-10 minutes. just one good even sanding to knock all the old discolored plastic off.

not to mention, now you still have OEM housings, reflectors, everything. but they shine like brand new and i dont see them ever yellowing again.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:20 PM

Someone said that 97 and previous Max headlights were glass.

Well a 96 Max at the junk yard did indeed have glass lens. Was there at jy for charcoal cannister, but another jy did quote around $100 for the whole headlight.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:07 PM

no, i said 97 was the year that they changed them. meaning only before 97, not including.

Quick Reply: Replacement Headlights for SE - Where to buy?& is SE "different"?