4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

FREE PAINTJOB NEED OPINIONS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 05:03 PM

FREE PAINTJOB NEED OPINIONS!!!

ok so basically, when i bought my 96 maxima, i think the previous owner had an accident and used old kind of rusted out hood, 2 fenders, and front bumper. so today luckily i get with my dads old friend who has his own paint shop...

i tell him my case, and he tells me to buy any paint that i need, even if 2 tone or even 3, and give it to him before new years, and hes going to take off the old paint and spray the new one, he told me the whole car would easily be done in like 2 days because theres not that many dents on there.

right now the original color is the dark metallic green that looks like black if some of you may know, but the bad paint from the parts is like black but it matches pretty good and no one can notice it.

I need opinions on which color should i change too, anything that wont be like a huge pain for him. what do you guys think?

Oh and where do u recommend i should buy the paint from ?

Old 12-14-2009, 05:12 PM

anything done exterior wise? any plans to do anything exterior wise?
i personally want to paint my car matte black
Old 12-14-2009, 05:20 PM

I would find an auto paint store in your area. They should be able to match your paint from the code listed on the inside of the drivers door. I did that for my son's car and the shop put it in two spray paint cans (i didn't have an air gun/tank) and I painted his door that I got from a junk yard. Cost was cheap too.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:30 PM

yea icukev thats true, but thats the thing i want to change the color of the whole car from the original one, and hmm right now i have g35 silver rims, drop, retrofitted lights, no body kit tho...
and ehh i was thinking like matte black , or like a more exotic metallic black/blue those look hot..
but i need more opinions tho =/ i got like 2 weeks to make my mind lol
Old 12-14-2009, 05:31 PM

and like i mentioned, he has the air guns, and the sanders and all the tools, all i have to do is just buy the paint that hes gonna use
Old 12-14-2009, 06:53 PM
I need a truck

Get the same color that's on the car now.

That's a nice green.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:31 PM

i would pick the 99 maxima limited edition red.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:46 PM

hmmm im really considering like

black/blue mixtures maybe?
anything metallic, pearl, matte maybe,

what do you guys think would be best from like all your experience, im only 17 so i really dont know =/
Old 12-14-2009, 07:57 PM

I like the matte look but its starting to become very common but it looks bad *** with the right accents and wheel color look at west coast customs 2 door S class amazing they could do that with a S body the car looks great. A friend of mine just did a 65 mustang fast back matte with red accents on the wheels and windows and interior.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:37 PM

ZOMG AR2!!!!

(Crimson blaze)
Old 12-14-2009, 08:37 PM

Stick with deep evergreen!

If you want something with blue, I think there is a blue 'version' of deep evergreen.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:22 PM

The SE-L Red looks awesome. Matte color is nice but not practical. I'm not a paint expert and stuff but I'm guessing there is little to no clearcoat on the paint which means its very easy to get chipped from everyday driving. The Lexus pearl white is nice too.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:56 AM

i like the lakeside blue or whatever that color is called lol its nice =) i got that maroon burgandy red =( i hate it. it looks dirty everytime.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:18 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Save him the trouble of changing the color and just keep it the color you currently have. Its a real nice color on the 4th gen. Your door jams and engine bay wont look all fugly when its a different color
Old 12-15-2009, 07:04 AM
I need a truck

Originally Posted by scmaxima
what do you guys think would be best from like all your experience, im only 17 so i really dont know =/
IMO, if you're only 17, you're still in HS. I wouldn't get anything other than stock. If you get something flashy, you're asking for your car to be stolen or broken into.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Conrad283
IMO, if you're only 17, you're still in HS. I wouldn't get anything other than stock. If you get something flashy, you're asking for your car to be stolen or broken into.
yes i actually am =/

kk so if im not going to change the entire car color, cant i just get like the deepgreen metallic blue or something and he can just add it over?

like can anyone tell me what do i need to get, the clearcoat and primer or what exactly??
Old 12-15-2009, 09:23 AM

to save the guy a head ache just get the metallic green. i wouldnt change the color if my maxi was originally metallic green. if you decide on add exterior mods like a lip kit or so i would get it now to paint it all at once...
Old 12-15-2009, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by MaxiNone
to save the guy a head ache just get the metallic green. i wouldnt change the color if my maxi was originally metallic green. if you decide on add exterior mods like a lip kit or so i would get it now to paint it all at once...
yep!
Old 12-15-2009, 09:43 AM
mod or sell?

get a custom mixed color, that way when you scratch up the car no one will ever be able to match it correctly.

seriously though, just get it back to stock color since it is a nice color and everything will go back to matching.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by FallenOne
ZOMG AR2!!!!

(Crimson blaze)
NO!!! SE-Ls only!

(Thinks he's special)

Last edited by aackshun; 12-15-2009 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:08 AM

If you have to ask you should stay the stock colour. Otherwise, go sit in a cafe and stare at cars until you fall in love.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:18 PM

my vote is for deep evergreen (DP0), especially if that is your stock color. any fool loves that color! not to mention cops think your car is black sometimes and green other times. you can confuse them pretty easily, lol.

if you insist on changing the color, go with a33's sheer silver, or go with z-tune silver. i prefer the z-tune silver, but if you can't track it down, sheer silver is close. z-tune silver is a special color they mixed for the r34 z-tune. google it, lol... but here's a teaser: (edit: clicky pic)

Old 12-15-2009, 03:21 PM
Just the tip.

Keep it the stock color.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:27 PM

red looks crazy
Old 12-15-2009, 04:41 PM

I remember seeing a fourth gen on here a while ago that was painted Ferrari or lambo orange and it looked SICK! If not stick with the stock color, I love that color as well.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:18 PM

To actually contribute to the thread, I'm pretty much on the same boat as everyone else, it's really a nice green, why not keep it?

But if you were to switch colors, I vote Honda's Victory White, I've always liked it since I was a lil kid when cars were something I rode in and not drove.

Why don't I have a Victory White Honda now? Who knows...

But whatever you do, don't so some custom color on a car that's daily driven... That's just going to lead to disappointment and heartbreak whenever you wax it.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:22 PM

keep it the stock color! that deep green is somewhat rare, door jams are a pain to repaint on a 4 door. you'll need a dark primer base, color of the car then clear. probably looking at over 300 for all that.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

just remember if you do a black gloss its going to be more work just because it shows all the imperfections in the body it self! im getting my done this weekend im doing like a flat black.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:36 PM

honestly if i ever have the money to do so i want to paint my car the lexus color glacier frost. i would prolly keep the color of your car that is a really nice color. and u wont have to change anything on your reg and title if your state requires it
Old 12-15-2009, 09:02 PM

alright fine, im probably going to stick to stock color =/
but the question is , for the hood and the bumpers and fenders ok hes going to sand out the rust or w.e and paint it , and this should be easy because the paint is horrible already..

what about other parts like some of the door, and maybe the rear fender 0.o because there are some small paint chips so is he going to sand off the whole door for example, or just paint in this spot?

and someone please tell me, do i only need to buy "paint" or do i need like a clearcoat and primer or w.e
im really not knowledgeable in the this area, sorry guys
Old 12-16-2009, 09:33 AM

Are you looking for suggestions on color, or places to go to get it painted?
Old 12-16-2009, 11:03 AM

^^^read the first post...

Originally Posted by scmaxima
alright fine, im probably going to stick to stock color =/
but the question is , for the hood and the bumpers and fenders ok hes going to sand out the rust or w.e and paint it , and this should be easy because the paint is horrible already..

what about other parts like some of the door, and maybe the rear fender 0.o because there are some small paint chips so is he going to sand off the whole door for example, or just paint in this spot?

and someone please tell me, do i only need to buy "paint" or do i need like a clearcoat and primer or w.e
im really not knowledgeable in the this area, sorry guys
i believe you will need consealer (or hardner), primer (just for the frontend), clear coat and the paint. i say 2 or three pints of paint should cover the frontend and most of the body of car, a pint/pint 1/2 of primer should cover the frontend and that all i kinda know lol. your probably gonna spend between $200-$300 on supplies...
Old 12-17-2009, 05:41 PM

I sure as hell wish I had this offer come up. Hey since I'm here talking about paint, My rear drivers side panel has I guess dirt embedded into the paint (ONLY in that panel its weird). Any suggestions on how to get my panel white again? One of those bricks (you know what I mean) perhaps? Carnuba paste on a buffer? Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Old 12-17-2009, 05:53 PM

I would recommend seeing some of his work first. If he can paint, then I would definitely do a pearl.

1. lexus white with blue pearl
2.midnight blue with gold pearl
3.some shade of charcoal with platinum pearl( something like the is300)
if hes not a great painter, id stick with a simple paint with the metallic mixed in already, not a 3 stage paint.

1.shade a silver
2.deep black

i personnally dont dig those creative orages, reds, exotic colors, its a maxima, not a lambo or vette,,, its a sedan

when you see the sedan mercedez and lexus, with pearl, looks classy..

not sure your age should be something to worry about in choosing a color. plenty dumb *** old folks, and not to be messed with smart young fellas out there.

look around when you drive and when you see something you like, take note of the make and model.. take it from there

Last edited by aic96max; 12-17-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:58 PM

Yeah, go stock color.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:01 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Aburn95
I sure as hell wish I had this offer come up. Hey since I'm here talking about paint, My rear drivers side panel has I guess dirt embedded into the paint (ONLY in that panel its weird). Any suggestions on how to get my panel white again? One of those bricks (you know what I mean) perhaps? Carnuba paste on a buffer? Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Clay bar it first to see if that helps.
then rubbing compund
then buffing compund
then wash
Repaeat as needed
then wax
Old 12-18-2009, 10:35 PM

Stay stock and buy extra black paint and clear and paint your wheels black , IMO ! As far as paint, you need to get with your painter and see what kind of paint he uses . He may use sherwin william . Then again he could use Dupont . Use the brand paint he is comfortable useing. If he uses Dupont more than any other his paint job could come out better than something he isnt use to. Then again he might just be " that good" , lol ! What ever you do DO NOT USE SINGLE STAGE PAINT (unless he uses single stage ) , buy base coat clear !
Old 12-19-2009, 09:27 AM

While I don't agree with flashy cars... and I'm a little late in saying this:

Go with what YOU want. Everyone and their mother told my wife to not paint her car pink... But by god is that thing pink (Pink Coral Effect) and SHE is happy with it. If I had the opportunity that you and her (her car was keyed when it was Black) had I would think of what I really wanted and go for it.

Now for my color suggestion, Tan. This is the only car I have NEVER been pulled over in.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:51 AM

hmm alright, i think that im sticking with the ever deep green color because it would be really complicated for no reason. =[
so anyways, i need to know where should i get the paint from , i think the tone is DP0, but this is maxima code so yea.

and what ill be doing is let him paint the whole hood, the 2 fenders, the front and rear bumper cause i think the guy that i bought the car from used the parts from a plain black car.

so when hes done with those, is it possible that he can like only paint the small scratches all over the car, like they are very small but still noticeable.

last question and i know you guys said it but i need to get everything correct.

i need to buy .... primer? clear coat? the color itself?

please correct me if im wrong, and/ or give me the amounts that i need to paint, and like where should i buy it from?
home depot? lol idk =/

thanks guys
really appreciate your support .
Old 12-20-2009, 08:10 AM

Good luck with the paint job.. post some pics, before and after.

Stay stock, unless your planning on him doing the door jams, under hood/trunk, ect...

My friend painted is 300zx black but has red door jams and ect.. looks ridiculous.

Quick Reply: FREE PAINTJOB NEED OPINIONS!!!