4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

CAI is awesome

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2001, 06:31 AM

CAI is awesome

Just put in a Catman CAI on my 95 SEA and can feel and hear a big difference from when I had a JWT Pop charger. This is a great performance mod when combined with my exhaust mods. It's relatively quiet under normal operating conditions, then when you gun it and it gets above 4K RPM, look out - the car sounds (loud) and feels great.
Think I'll be putting my G Force ECU back in and see the difference now. I now get a chirp from the front tires when I gun it doing around 15 MPH.

NE1 left in the stock air ram in the front of the hood to keep things cooler under the hood or do most people take it out?
Old 12-04-2001, 09:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: CAI is awesome

Originally posted by plrod Black 95 SE
Just put in a Catman CAI on my 95 SEA and can feel and hear a big difference from when I had a JWT Pop charger. This is a great performance mod when combined with my exhaust mods. It's relatively quiet under normal operating conditions, then when you gun it and it gets above 4K RPM, look out - the car sounds (loud) and feels great.
Think I'll be putting my G Force ECU back in and see the difference now. I now get a chirp from the front tires when I gun it doing around 15 MPH.

NE1 left in the stock air ram in the front of the hood to keep things cooler under the hood or do most people take it out?
The CAI lets people know your car isn't stock. The downside is that you'll be reving your engine more to hit higher RPMs so that you can hear it... there goes your gas mileage
Old 12-04-2001, 12:52 PM

Re: Re: CAI is awesome

Originally posted by breaux124

The CAI lets people know your car isn't stock. The downside is that you'll be reving your engine more to hit higher RPMs so that you can hear it... there goes your gas mileage
Dood, the growl is HELLA worth the extra gas!

DPW
Old 12-04-2001, 01:06 PM

Re: Re: Re: CAI is awesome

Originally posted by TintDaMax

Dood, the growl is HELLA worth the extra gas!

DPW
How much louder we talking? I am intrested in this eventually but curious how much louder it makes you. Right now I am just running a cone intake.

SuDZ
Old 12-04-2001, 01:12 PM

above 4K RPM the growl is VERY loud
Old 12-04-2001, 01:16 PM

the best is when u gun it through a tunnel...
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Old 12-04-2001, 02:16 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: CAI is awesome

Originally posted by SuDZ

How much louder we talking? I am intrested in this eventually but curious how much louder it makes you. Right now I am just running a cone intake.

SuDZ
Were talking LOUD. But its only really loud when you go WOT. But dont worry, its not overly obnoxious. It makes the car sound more aggresive. I dont know how to explain it. Its just sounds GOOD!

DPW;arrow:
Old 12-04-2001, 02:24 PM

Welcome to the culb of CAI, Sudzs the sound of the CAI strikes fear in the core of all rustangs, and honda boy's, belive me, cause no one wants to race anymore...
Old 12-04-2001, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by Tai Mai Shu
Welcome to the culb of CAI, Sudzs the sound of the CAI strikes fear in the core of all rustangs, and honda boy's, belive me, cause no one wants to race anymore...
You think its cause it hurts thier ears? No but seriously, nobody wants to race after they hear it! It sucks

DPW
Old 12-04-2001, 02:41 PM

You think its cause it hurts thier ears? No but seriously, nobody wants to race after they hear it! It sucks

DPW
Why would people be afraid when they hear a loud N/A intake?
"Oh crap!... they might have an extra 7 or 8 horsepower in that thing! Watch out!"
I'm doubting it.

Now when I hear the jet-engine whine of a supercharger, or the hissing sound of a turbo accompanied with the blowoff valves tell-tale sound... then I'm prolly gonna be a little intimidated.

But why would people be scared of CAI?
Old 12-04-2001, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by Threxx

Now when I hear the jet-engine whine of a supercharger, or the hissing sound of a turbo accompanied with the blowoff valves tell-tale sound... then I'm prolly gonna be a little intimidated.

Why back down from a race PERIOD? p****.
Old 12-04-2001, 03:12 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

DPW
Hmmm...all I know is my car with intake sounds pretty dinky next to a cobra.....REALLY dinky....
Old 12-04-2001, 03:18 PM

Maybe some day I will go the home grown route and just run the piping from the intake where it is now to the wheelwell. It just makes me nervous doing the cutting. Can that help rust or rot happen faster?

SuDZ
Old 12-04-2001, 03:20 PM

"Oh crap!... they might have an extra 7 or 8 horsepower in that thing! Watch out!"
I'm doubting it.

How about a 10lb nitrous tank sitting the open window of a Supra hatchback? Guess the Supra is enough.
Old 12-04-2001, 03:22 PM

Re: CAI is awesome

Originally posted by plrod Black 95 SE

When you switched from POP to CAI, did you notice an INCREASE in low end power ?? I hate the pop lag, and want to switch to CAI if it gives me back my "off the line" power.
Old 12-04-2001, 03:36 PM

Never thought a V6 could sound so good.
Old 12-04-2001, 04:40 PM

I'm doubting it.

Dont ask me, thats just what happens. I guess the four banger Honda boys arent used to the sound of a V6. That, accompanied with the CAI is just too much for them to take. Thier used to cars that sound like they have colds.

DPW
Old 12-04-2001, 05:00 PM

I'm doubting it.

Wanna know the truth? It sounds like a small block V-8, and people, just hear it, and don't want to lose, GT's, INtergra's Camry (ugly *** one at my school, i'll have to take pic's to show how ugly it is... But seriously, there so stunded by the damn sound the just start braking.
Old 12-04-2001, 05:07 PM

PR CAIs sounds like a mustang

Old 12-04-2001, 05:33 PM

Re: Re: CAI is awesome

Originally posted by Craig Mack

When you switched from POP to CAI, did you notice an INCREASE in low end power ?? I hate the pop lag, and want to switch to CAI if it gives me back my "off the line" power.
My car has never been faster off the line. I could not chirp the tires before when I would hit it around 15 MPH. It's definitely an improvement IMO; probably part of it is the hella sound which is just so impressive.

If you're going from POP to CAI, keep the velocity stack and install it in the wheel well. I wish I'd done that.

Know what you mean about cutting into the car but it's not so bad and the location of the hole is pretty much covered up by the battery tray and battery if you remove it and sell the car stock. I struggled with this aspect of this mod for awhile and finally just decided to CUT the b*tch. I'm very happy I did!
Old 12-04-2001, 05:41 PM

I want to be the odd man out and say that I'm keeping my JWT HAI.

Afterall, it was a car with a HAI, y-pipe and catback that ran a 14.2 in the 1/4...

Me <--- monkey

This thread <--- gears

This post <--- the wrench that the monkey throws

Old 12-04-2001, 05:42 PM
Administrator

you think that it doesn't sound intimidating? well it does.. people asked me if i had a mustang engine..
Old 12-04-2001, 05:56 PM

well everyone loves the sound..
I ain't complaining
haha
I love the growl~
Old 12-04-2001, 06:13 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
you think that it doesn't sound intimidating? well it does.. people asked me if i had a mustang engine..
A mustang engine?

Are jOO saying a CAI sounds louder than a cone ?
Old 12-04-2001, 06:22 PM

I've got a ghetto version of the CAI. I ordered to PR one from Greg, but i didn't have the circle drill when it came. so before i would be taking everything apart and actually drilling, i decided to do a dry run. so i got the writeup from maximadriver.com and started. in the end, the CAI upper piece is connected to the throttle body, the MAF is connected to the upper piece, and the stock air box (minus the air scoop) is connected to the MAF. I get the growl mostly only when i'm accelerating a from 2.5-4k rpm and from 5.5-6k rpm. I'ts pretty cool considering i only took out the big boxy thing that those three hoses connect to,the air scoop, and the mysterious black box that runs off of the scoop that goes to absolutely nothing (what is that by the way?) anyways, i ought to post pics of the setup, it's pretty funny just thinking about it, if there was ever a half-assed job done, this is it
Old 12-04-2001, 06:56 PM

Originally posted by Xtreme5053
the mysterious black box that runs off of the scoop that goes to absolutely nothing (what is that by the way?) anyways, i ought to post pics of the setup, it's pretty funny just thinking about it, if there was ever a half-assed job done, this is it
That box its the resninator, which helps lower the intake sound, but now you could just be cool, and recatch those extra few ponies and cut the hole, and do the setup that is tested and proven.
Old 12-04-2001, 09:06 PM

man this just makes me want one even more, itll come, any idea if i can get chrome? cattman doesnt have it listed as a color
Old 12-04-2001, 09:38 PM

CAI making a maxima sound like a SBC or 302??

I'll believe it when I see it. The closest thing to the sound of one of those motors that I have seen in a V6 is the 4.3L that GM produces. And that's probably because the 4.3 IS the 350 SBC with two missing cylinders. Even then, past 2500rpm or so it starts sounding a lot different.

I'm hard pressed to believe that a japanese V6 with at least half the displacement of most SBCs could sound anything close to the same. Do you mean to say that it sounds "deep" or "rumbly" or just not the same as a 4-cylinder? I would believe that.

Could one of y'all send me a sound clip of one of these maximas that sounds like a V8 so I can hear for myself.
Old 12-04-2001, 09:47 PM

How does a CAI sound with stock muffer and Cattman Y-pipe? Anybody know. I want to get better performance, but not be loud. I drive a maxima, not a mustang.
Old 12-04-2001, 10:17 PM

I'll believe it when I see it. The closest thing to the sound of one of those motors that I have seen in a V6 is the 4.3L that GM produces. And that's probably because the 4.3 IS the 350 SBC with two missing cylinders. Even then, past 2500rpm or so it starts sounding a lot different.

I'm hard pressed to believe that a japanese V6 with at least half the displacement of most SBCs could sound anything close to the same. Do you mean to say that it sounds "deep" or "rumbly" or just not the same as a 4-cylinder? I would believe that.

Could one of y'all send me a sound clip of one of these maximas that sounds like a V8 so I can hear for myself.
I think what they mean is, when the CAI Maxima is at like 6000 rpm, it sounds like a mustang at 3000 rpms. OF course the CAI doesnt have that gurgle when idle, but at WOT it sounds a LOT like a mustang.

DPW
Old 12-04-2001, 10:49 PM
Maxima owner since 2000

*sigh* i can't wait to get a CAI. if i order from Greg, how long will i have to wait before it reaches my doorstep? my paycheck comes next friday! i'm so hyped!

grasshoppah
Old 12-05-2001, 02:40 AM

Originally posted by KrZyMaX
*sigh* i can't wait to get a CAI. if i order from Greg, how long will i have to wait before it reaches my doorstep? my paycheck comes next friday! i'm so hyped!

grasshoppah
I ordered mine on like a sat or sun and got it on thurs or fri
Old 12-05-2001, 07:28 AM

For any of you who went from POP to CAI

Is the CAI noticable louder than the Popcharger ? If so, cool
Old 12-05-2001, 07:57 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I love it when I read "my Maxima sounds like a Mustang" when talking about intakes or exhausts. Sorry guys, NOTHING sounds quite like a Mustang. I don't think there's a more beautiful sound than a well tuned 5.0/4.6 Mustang. Maybe everyone's mistaking the loud for Mustang loud. The V8 firing order is what gives the cool sound. The Maxima is a V6 and doesn't have a good sounding firing order. Some Max exhausts might sound deep at first, but there's no mistaking it's all import small displacement once the rpms rise.

Since the beginning of time there has always been the POP vs CAI debate. I've got the HKS POP intake and I love it. All resonators have been removed and it sounds EXACTLY like the CAI. The large resonator between the MAF and throttle body is what's responsible for the difference in sound. I'm still running the lower stock air box and piping plus I have piping feeding the airbox from the bumper where the foglight use to be. I've also made a heatshield which shields the filter housing from much of the radient heat. Either intake is good and will perform nearly the same. I've made 176fwhp and 194fwtq with a y-pipe, POP, and B-pipe. I don't think I'm suffering from a lack of torque. My Max is making 95% of it's available torque from 2300-4900rpms. That's pretty flat if you ask me. Just my opinion though. BTW, the CAI does look better.

Dave
Old 12-05-2001, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by cmcknite
How does a CAI sound with stock muffer and Cattman Y-pipe? Anybody know. I want to get better performance, but not be loud. I drive a maxima, not a mustang.
believe it or not.. when you get a Y Pipe.. the CAI gets quieter.. its not as loud as it was before.. not as intimidating
Old 12-05-2001, 11:56 AM

I WANT IT LOUD THOUGH!!!
Old 12-05-2001, 12:49 PM

Why are you on a Maxima site, and then start dising it? WTF, what do you have agian?
Old 12-06-2001, 01:24 PM

CAI

Originally posted by Xtreme5053
I've got a ghetto version of the CAI. I ordered to PR one from Greg, but i didn't have the circle drill when it came. so before i would be taking everything apart and actually drilling, i decided to do a dry run. so i got the writeup from maximadriver.com and started. in the end, the CAI upper piece is connected to the throttle body, the MAF is connected to the upper piece, and the stock air box (minus the air scoop) is connected to the MAF. I get the growl mostly only when i'm accelerating a from 2.5-4k rpm and from 5.5-6k rpm. I'ts pretty cool considering i only took out the big boxy thing that those three hoses connect to,the air scoop, and the mysterious black box that runs off of the scoop that goes to absolutely nothing (what is that by the way?) anyways, i ought to post pics of the setup, it's pretty funny just thinking about it, if there was ever a half-assed job done, this is it
Any pics yet? I'm thinking about doing the same.
Old 12-06-2001, 05:17 PM

Re: CAI

Originally posted by BluFlame

Any pics yet? I'm thinking about doing the same.
I'll see if i can get a small roll developed this weekend, i haven't taken pictures in a while and i've put so much more on the car, i have a scanner so it's all good
Old 12-06-2001, 06:06 PM

FOR SALE

I have the lower pipe for sale with hardward to make a SI or a JWT intake into a CAI. I am looking for the best offer I can get.

SHUMAX

Quick Reply: CAI is awesome