4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Brake caliper? Master Cyl?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 04:25 AM

Brake caliper? Master Cyl?

Hi everyone,
During the summer I noticed that the pass side front wheel of my 96 was very dirty with brake dust, and the drivers was basically clean. I washed both wheels, and again the pass side was black within a few days. So I assumed that the pass side caliper was sticking. My rotors in the front are also warped, and again I assumed that was due to the sticking caliper.
So at the end of August I had reman NAPA calipers put on the car. Well now it is doing the exact same thing, and the pass side pad is totally worn out. I guess that the caliper that NAPA sold me could be bad, and it is under warr, but it just seems odd that it is the same side again. Besides the caliper, is there anything else that I could check? Would there be anything else that would cause this problem?

Thanks,
Zack
Old 12-23-2009, 05:57 AM

check the FSM.

I think there are these pins on the brakes that can get rusted and wont actuate anymore. You can try that. OR...get a friend and test the brake. Have him step on the brake and u watch to see if it acutates and releases.

WD-40 is prolly yur best friend for this fix. SAnd the pins then reinstall
Old 12-23-2009, 06:38 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Check the caliper slide pins.
Did you put new pads on? If not, by any chance do you have different pads L&R?
Bleed the brake system throughly. The master cylinder is a split system. If there is a problem with either side you will have braking force differences. The system works like and X, Left Rear and Right Front are on the same line and Right Rear and Left Front are on the same line.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Check the caliper slide pins.
Did you put new pads on? If not, by any chance do you have different pads L&R?
Bleed the brake system throughly. The master cylinder is a split system. If there is a problem with either side you will have braking force differences. The system works like and X, Left Rear and Right Front are on the same line and Right Rear and Left Front are on the same line.
Ok so based on that idea, the master shuld be fine, because I don't have any issues with the left rear brake.

As far as the slide pins go, are the pins part of the new (reman) calipers or are they a part of the brake system that does not get replaced when you replace the calipers?

Thanks,
Zack
Old 12-23-2009, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by caseymaxima
Ok so based on that idea, the master shuld be fine, because I don't have any issues with the left rear brake.

As far as the slide pins go, are the pins part of the new (reman) calipers or are they a part of the brake system that does not get replaced when you replace the calipers?

Thanks,
Zack

Idk man, never done the breaks on these cars before. I dont have a 2 ton jack and i hate using the factory jack hehe.

...check the FSM and the How-tos...here is the link...and maybe a fellow org member can help.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/
Old 12-23-2009, 07:57 AM

I will get whatever parts I need to replace, I just don't want to deal with this hassle again.

Zack
Old 12-23-2009, 03:25 PM

Guide Pins

Thanks,
Zack
The guide pins are sold seperately from the calipers. They slide into the inner side of the caliper brakets. The calipers glide back and forth over these pins. The lower guide pins on both my front calipers were rusted shut. I baught new guide pins and rubber seals at Autozone for only $10 for each side. Lubricate these pins with brake grease, not WD-40.

Last edited by jholley; 12-23-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by jholley
The guide pins are sold seperately from the calipers. They slide into the inner side of the caliper brakets. The calipers glide back and forth over these pins. The lower guide pins on both my front calipers were rusted shut. I baught new guide pins and rubber seals at Autozone for only $10 for each side. Lubricate these pins with brake grease, not WD-40.

OK, so I went on the RockAuto website to order the parts, and I am confused as to which I should order, and do I need I set per side of the car? On their website they have two seperate listings: 1. 1996 NISSAN MAXIMA GXE 3.0L 2988cc V6 MFI (C) [VQ30DE] : Brake/Wheel Hub : Brake Shoe Hold Down (Combination) Kit and 2. 1996 NISSAN MAXIMA GXE 3.0L 2988cc V6 MFI (C) [VQ30DE] : Brake/Wheel Hub : Caliper Bolt. When you look at them they look to be teh same part? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Zack
Old 12-24-2009, 12:45 PM

Have you checked your brake hose? Are the hoses on your car OE?
Old 12-24-2009, 05:04 PM
mod or sell?

OK, so I went on the RockAuto website to order the parts, and I am confused as to which I should order, and do I need I set per side of the car? On their website they have two seperate listings: 1. 1996 NISSAN MAXIMA GXE 3.0L 2988cc V6 MFI (C) [VQ30DE] : Brake/Wheel Hub : Brake Shoe Hold Down (Combination) Kit and 2. 1996 NISSAN MAXIMA GXE 3.0L 2988cc V6 MFI (C) [VQ30DE] : Brake/Wheel Hub : Caliper Bolt. When you look at them they look to be teh same part? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Zack
do you have brake shoes on your car?
I don't, so why would i even think about a part that says brake shoe on it.
you could always CALL them
Old 12-24-2009, 06:23 PM

Thanks,
Zack
You stated earlier that your dealing with your front rotors. For a 96 Maxima GXE order these guide pins from rockauto.com:

H15067

You'll need to order 2 sets to fit both the left and right front calipers.