4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Spongey brakes! Nothing I do helps!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 09:21 AM

Spongey brakes! Nothing I do helps!

I been having spongey brakes isssues ever since I got my maxima.

symptoms:
1.when I step on the brakes I can go far down thru what appears to be air befor actually engaging the brakes.
2.Once the brakes are engaged and they are stopping the car My foot can CONTINUE going down nearly to the floor.

This is horrible compared to cars that immidiately engage upon stepping on the brakes. and the pedal remains stiff once depressed.

I spent about 12 hrs altogether inspecting these things, and Im about to change to SS also.

First I bleed all the brakes in the expected order, furthest from master cylinder to closest (RR, LR, RF, LF). changed the bleeders at nissan after fighting with the old stripped bleeders. That didnt change anything.

Then I bled them in the FSM X order. (RightRear, LeftFront, LeftRear RightFront i think). That didnt change anything.

Next I checked the pads and The left rears were low as **** so in changing that I checked the RR piston and made sure its moving in and out easily. It turned Clockwise & Counterclockwise very easily with a tool to grab hold on the notches. Put on new pads, and didnt bleed it cuz I did that **** already last week.

Next I checked the RR. The pads were about 1/3 worn, so they were still fine. THe f**kin Piston tho was a b**ch!! It would not budge when attempting to turn it. additionally the rubber housing on it was stuck to t and could have ripped while turning. After fighting with it, I tried to step on the brakes to push it out and realized that **** was stuck and with excessive force I was able to push the whole piston out. The piston had rust eating away at it right where the rubber meets it. Used sand paper to get rid of it. Put it back in and it rotated EASILY back snug into the housing. Put on New Brake pads and bleed all the air out of there bled that **** about 12x checking the cylinder of course (the piston openning was exposed in the rain for about 20min while cleaning the piston.)

Drove the car around the block in the snow, and the brakes still suck!!!!

Im gonna check the front brakes when the 9inches of snow subsides, but now Im considering upgrading to SS also!!! Its SPONGEY. and after engaging the brakes it STILL GOES DOWN!! is there any specific brand?? Is there another bleeder near the master cylinder?? What else can i do thats affordable???
Old 12-20-2009, 09:42 AM

chk your reservor, see if its at the right mark, chck brake lines for small leak. I also heard of cylinders going bad.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:34 AM

Brakes spongy

In my previous experience , a pedal that goes to the floor often indicates a bad master cylinder. Make sure you check that out, bleed it.

Tough to work on the car in all that weather.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by MikeB
In my previous experience , a pedal that goes to the floor often indicates a bad master cylinder. Make sure you check that out, bleed it.

+++++1 on this one u need to bleed those bad boys
Old 12-20-2009, 01:01 PM
mod or sell?

your master cylinder os most likely shot. you probably won't find a leak as it is the internal seals that are worn and allowing fluid past them.
replace the master, bleed the whole system, if the pedal stops falling and it still feels spongey then you need a better bleed. some times a pressure bleeding is needed. John had to do that on one of his maxs in order to rid it of a spongey pedal $50 or so at a midas
Old 12-20-2009, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Snypa
chk your reservor, see if its at the right mark, chck brake lines for small leak. I also heard of cylinders going bad.
Ill inspect the break lines again, but the thing is if there was a leak I'd see the fluid in the cylinder dropping or some kind of dripping on the floor. no sign of either.

Originally Posted by MikeB

So about how much is the master cylinder to replace?? Im gonna probably go to a mechanic for this job, cuz its freezing out there.

Originally Posted by internetautomar
your master cylinder os most likely shot. you probably won't find a leak as it is the internal seals that are worn and allowing fluid past them.
replace the master, bleed the whole system, if the pedal stops falling and it still feels spongey then you need a better bleed. some times a pressure bleeding is needed. John had to do that on one of his maxs in order to rid it of a spongey pedal $50 or so at a midas
I dont know what the pressure bleed method is, but Im doing the cheapest route first so $50 aint too bad.

I gotta lookup how the master cylinder works too.

Unless theres a way to bleed the cylinder directly, the conclusion seems to be that its bad. I had dreams about not being able to stop the car. its that bad. Been like that since i bought it.
how much should that service be to replace the cylinder and bleed out the system?
Old 12-20-2009, 03:40 PM

same thing happened to me, i had no idea what was wrong for ages. it eventually got to the point where my breaks wouldn't hold the car still in drive. i ended up finding out that it was the master brake cylinder, replaced it with one from the wreckers which fixed the issue, but had a leak down the back of the brake booster. i then stripped both MBC and made a good working unit with parts from both. since then i have had no problems.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:49 PM

if it was spongy and THEN went to the floor, its probly a slow leak in a line somewhere. i had this experience once on my old '96, and it was a leak at one of the calipers.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:20 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Originally Posted by internetautomar
As Brian mentioned I did have that same problem... EVEN after replacing the MC on the woman's 89SE, however I did NOT have to get them pressure bled by doing a "Brake fluid flush" I was about to and then decided to go over the brakes one more time.

Basically I replaced:
MC
Both rear calipers+Pads
Front Pads.

Worked fine for a while and then it kept doing it, what SOLVED my problem was replacing some of the extremely rusted guide pins that kept on getting rusted and freezing in there.

I strongly suggest you check all 8 guide pins and ensure all are moving freely and are well lubricated with guide pin grease or anti-seize. If the boots are torn, replace them. Do this prior to dealer with the MC as it is a bit of a pain and more fun to bleed as well.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:50 PM
STFU n00b!

Pedal sinking= leak in system (you'd be losing fluid), or a bad master cylinder. If you're not constantly topping off the brake fluid, then your MC is shot.

Master cylinder is about $50 and 2 hrs of labor to replace. If you have a shop change it, you're looking at (guessing) $250 or so after parts and labor.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by anomaly117
if it was spongy and THEN went to the floor, its probly a slow leak in a line somewhere. i had this experience once on my old '96, and it was a leak at one of the calipers.
Originally Posted by mywhitewolf
same thing happened to me, i had no idea what was wrong for ages. it eventually got to the point where my breaks wouldn't hold the car still in drive. i ended up finding out that it was the master brake cylinder, replaced it with one from the wreckers which fixed the issue, but had a leak down the back of the brake booster. i then stripped both MBC and made a good working unit with parts from both. since then i have had no problems.

yea with a little effort that **** touches the floor. ugh thats the scary thing, Im sure itll get worse soon. thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
Worked fine for a while and then it kept doing it, what SOLVED my problem was replacing some of the extremely rusted guide pins that kept on getting rusted and freezing in there.

I strongly suggest you check all 8 guide pins and ensure all are moving freely and are well lubricated with guide pin grease or anti-seize. If the boots are torn, replace them. Do this prior to dealer with the MC as it is a bit of a pain and more fun to bleed as well.
thanks. Now the guide pins your talking about are in the caliper behind the Piston? or is it something else?

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
Pedal sinking= leak in system (you'd be losing fluid), or a bad master cylinder. If you're not constantly topping off the brake fluid, then your MC is shot.

Master cylinder is about $50 and 2 hrs of labor to replace. If you have a shop change it, you're looking at (guessing) $250 or so after parts and labor.
I guess Im doing this one myself too Im gonna take a look at the seals that were mentioned earlier within the MC. replace what needs to be replaced. Im damn near sure its the MC or maybe a brake linke Im overlooking. gonna trace all the lines closely just to make sure.thanks for the info org. once this weather gives me a chance Ill start goin in.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:09 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Originally Posted by da God
thanks. Now the guide pins your talking about are in the caliper behind the Piston? or is it something else?
The guide pins are where the caliper bolts onto the bracket that houses the pads, those should slide in and out of the bracket. if they dont... you may have to heat the up to get them out with some vice grips or something like that.

Are you sure you're not leaking any fluid? If its not leaking then you more than likely have:

-Bad Master Cylinder

-Air in the system still ( make sure your calipers have the bleeders on top part of caliper and not bottom)

-Frozen guide pins
Old 12-23-2009, 10:26 PM

Last of all check the hoses. Old hoses will swell under pressure and give that soft pedal feeling.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:37 PM

im not going to read everyone elses posts but out of curiosity you dont have a vaccum leak goin on do ya? might not be a bad thing to look into while your checking the hoses?
Old 12-24-2009, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by da God
I been having spongey brakes isssues ever since I got my maxima.

symptoms:
1.when I step on the brakes I can go far down thru what appears to be air befor actually engaging the brakes.
2.Once the brakes are engaged and they are stopping the car My foot can CONTINUE going down nearly to the floor.

This is horrible compared to cars that immidiately engage upon stepping on the brakes. and the pedal remains stiff once depressed.

I spent about 12 hrs altogether inspecting these things, and Im about to change to SS also.

First I bleed all the brakes in the expected order, furthest from master cylinder to closest (RR, LR, RF, LF). changed the bleeders at nissan after fighting with the old stripped bleeders. That didnt change anything.

Then I bled them in the FSM X order. (RightRear, LeftFront, LeftRear RightFront i think). That didnt change anything.

Next I checked the pads and The left rears were low as **** so in changing that I checked the RR piston and made sure its moving in and out easily. It turned Clockwise & Counterclockwise very easily with a tool to grab hold on the notches. Put on new pads, and didnt bleed it cuz I did that **** already last week.

Next I checked the RR. The pads were about 1/3 worn, so they were still fine. THe f**kin Piston tho was a b**ch!! It would not budge when attempting to turn it. additionally the rubber housing on it was stuck to t and could have ripped while turning. After fighting with it, I tried to step on the brakes to push it out and realized that **** was stuck and with excessive force I was able to push the whole piston out. The piston had rust eating away at it right where the rubber meets it. Used sand paper to get rid of it. Put it back in and it rotated EASILY back snug into the housing. Put on New Brake pads and bleed all the air out of there bled that **** about 12x checking the cylinder of course (the piston openning was exposed in the rain for about 20min while cleaning the piston.)

Drove the car around the block in the snow, and the brakes still suck!!!!

Im gonna check the front brakes when the 9inches of snow subsides, but now Im considering upgrading to SS also!!! Its SPONGEY. and after engaging the brakes it STILL GOES DOWN!! is there any specific brand?? Is there another bleeder near the master cylinder?? What else can i do thats affordable???
Looks like you and I have something in common:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....=1#post7352105

If you find the solution to yours, be sure to let me know. I'm stuck at this moment.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by FallenOne
im not going to read everyone elses posts but out of curiosity you dont have a vaccum leak goin on do ya? might not be a bad thing to look into while your checking the hoses?
A vacuum leak would take the booster out of play and give a hard peddle.