4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

'96 Maxima Oil Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2001, 01:07 PM

'96 Maxima Oil Transmission

I'd like to change my transmission oil. Can anyone show me how to change it? Is this a job that we can do at home?
Thanks!
Old 12-04-2001, 02:50 PM

OK

Depending on whether you have an auto or 5 speed the fluid will be different.. But here is the drain and fill procedure for both.. Jack up the car.. Put a jack stand under it.. Ok.. The tranny is on the left side of the car (drivers side if USA)

5-speed
If you look around the tranny you will see a hole that is square about 1/2 way up.. and one below it as well.. Put a the socket wrench in the hole (on top) w/out a socket on it.. and open the upper plug.. If you get it open then open the lower plug and let the fluid out.. when all is drained plug the bottom hole again.. Then keep adding to the top hole till fluid leaks out.. Put the top plug in.. You are done..

Auto..
Remove the bolt from the tranny oil pan.. Let all fluid drain and reinstall bolt.. Open the hood of the car and remove the tranny dip stick.. Take a funnel and add quarts of ATF until you see it on the middle of the mark.. Install stick and put car back on ground.. DRIVE until you get the car to proper operating temp.. Recheck level WHILE CAR IS RUNNING!!! bring to top of the line.. You are done..
Old 12-04-2001, 03:21 PM

It is not too bad once your started. The worst part on a 5 speed is finding the drain plug. Once you find the drain and refill plug your golden.

Also use this to help you out some. Directions from Maxima Driver

Also I would recomend if your gonna do it to use Redline Tranny Fluid.

SuDZ
Old 12-04-2001, 04:34 PM

Re: OK

I was just wondering how effective this method is to getting cleaner oil to the transmission. I know that supposedly this doesn't get all the oil out unless you do a full flush.

Originally posted by cbr2
Depending on whether you have an auto or 5 speed the fluid will be different.. But here is the drain and fill procedure for both.. Jack up the car.. Put a jack stand under it.. Ok.. The tranny is on the left side of the car (drivers side if USA)

5-speed
If you look around the tranny you will see a hole that is square about 1/2 way up.. and one below it as well.. Put a the socket wrench in the hole (on top) w/out a socket on it.. and open the upper plug.. If you get it open then open the lower plug and let the fluid out.. when all is drained plug the bottom hole again.. Then keep adding to the top hole till fluid leaks out.. Put the top plug in.. You are done..

Auto..
Remove the bolt from the tranny oil pan.. Let all fluid drain and reinstall bolt.. Open the hood of the car and remove the tranny dip stick.. Take a funnel and add quarts of ATF until you see it on the middle of the mark.. Install stick and put car back on ground.. DRIVE until you get the car to proper operating temp.. Recheck level WHILE CAR IS RUNNING!!! bring to top of the line.. You are done..
Old 12-04-2001, 05:20 PM

Re: '96 Maxima Oil Transmission

Thanks for all of your replies guys!
By the way, would you guys recommend Reline ATF?
Old 12-04-2001, 05:24 PM

Re: OK

I have an automatic transmission. Which Redline ATF would I buy? or should I get it from the Nissan dealer?
Old 12-04-2001, 07:05 PM

Re: Re: OK

Originally posted by AzynRomeo
I have an automatic transmission. Which Redline ATF would I buy? or should I get it from the Nissan dealer?

I have a simmilar question to the person asking about a full flush. I read a manual somewhere and a mechanic told me that a full flush needs to be done. The procedure with removing only the transmission plug will only take out 4 to 5 quarts rather than the 10 to 12... I don't know what the procedure would be to perform a full flush. If someone's reading this and knows the procedures, would you mind posting them?
Old 12-04-2001, 09:02 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Answers to these questions and concerns can be found here:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=59048

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=45742
Old 12-05-2001, 06:02 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Re: Re: Re: OK

Originally posted by TonyChung

I have a simmilar question to the person asking about a full flush. I read a manual somewhere and a mechanic told me that a full flush needs to be done. The procedure with removing only the transmission plug will only take out 4 to 5 quarts rather than the 10 to 12... I don't know what the procedure would be to perform a full flush. If someone's reading this and knows the procedures, would you mind posting them?
To get a "cleaner" flush when changing the Auto trans. fluid I did a drain, fill, drive around the block, drain and refill again method. This way the fluid gets pumped through the valve body when you drive the car and mixes up with anything left in the trans. Draining that out again and refilling leaves you with a pretty descent amount of fresh fluid.