4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Cranks all day but wont start =(

Old 09-03-2011, 07:43 PM

i tried that already but didnt fix it after everything was done and about $200 in all it took was a throttle body cleaning with simple green.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:27 PM

so i went this moring to start it and it wouldnt start after a few tries my friend told me to put the key to on position 3 times then try to start and it worked after about 5 times anyone have any ideas.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:53 PM

is anyone even on this forum anymore? well anyways im gonna change the fuel filter just for the hell of it. $10.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by chico102388
is anyone even on this forum anymore? well anyways im gonna change the fuel filter just for the hell of it. $10.
All vehicle are different just like people. One vehicle could have a similar problem but does not mean the other vehicle's solution will work on yours. I'm having a crank all day (until battery dies) and still no start. I've replaced all crank sensors, cam sensor, plugs, coil, maf, fuel pump, injectors, starter, cleaned TB, IACV, EGR, and replaced all gaskets and fuel filter and still no start. The vehicle has NO codes on the car and I even added a grounding kit.

I had my brother in law from Toyota come look at the car and he says it's a electrical issue and the injectors are not grounded according to his test using his light (nolde) test.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:38 AM

well i changed the filter and still no luck. i know every car is different thats why i didnt change everything. the only reason i changed those part is because they tested bad or the code lit up for them
Old 09-08-2011, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by PA97Maxima
All vehicle are different just like people. One vehicle could have a similar problem but does not mean the other vehicle's solution will work on yours. I'm having a crank all day (until battery dies) and still no start. I've replaced all crank sensors, cam sensor, plugs, coil, maf, fuel pump, injectors, starter, cleaned TB, IACV, EGR, and replaced all gaskets and fuel filter and still no start. The vehicle has NO codes on the car and I even added a grounding kit.

I had my brother in law from Toyota come look at the car and he says it's a electrical issue and the injectors are not grounded according to his test using his light (nolde) test.
Whats the history on the car?

It def seems electrical and before buying all those parts u gotta do more research and diagnostic work.

Did u replace with new or used parts?

U have to confirm the car is getting signal to start. That comes from the crank sensor tranny side.

Did u add a ground from neg battery terminal to the tranny housing?

So many issues on these cars is from poor grounding its not even funny. Clean all ground points

Search for Luke95GXE hard start thread.

Originally Posted by chico102388
well i changed the filter and still no luck. i know every car is different thats why i didnt change everything. the only reason i changed those part is because they tested bad or the code lit up for them

SOunds like your ignition switch to me. Do a SEARCH. There is a thread for how to replace it. All u need is a screwdriver and 30 min
Old 09-08-2011, 01:21 PM

ive checked for ignition and it is getting spark but there is no fuel. i added grounds to the tranny and cleaned other grounds. ll parts were changed with new parts.

update: i added a ground from the battery to the IM no luck, i also pulled the fuel pump relay while it was running and it started shutting down after about 20-35 sec. im assuming the pump is good now i was reading that the starter sometimes doesn't turn the motor fast enough to start it so im gonna call the guy i got the car from (he changed the starter life time warranty) and have him exchange it.

Last edited by chico102388; 09-08-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by cashoit
Whats the history on the car?

It def seems electrical and before buying all those parts u gotta do more research and diagnostic work.

Did u replace with new or used parts?

U have to confirm the car is getting signal to start. That comes from the crank sensor tranny side.

Did u add a ground from neg battery terminal to the tranny housing?

So many issues on these cars is from poor grounding its not even funny. Clean all ground points

Search for Luke95GXE hard start thread.

SOunds like your ignition switch to me. Do a SEARCH. There is a thread for how to replace it. All u need is a screwdriver and 30 min
All parts are new and some for dealer Cam and both crank. Grounding added (same is Shinjiduo).

i've seen the videos on youtube for the ignition switch but i doubt it's the issue because my brother in law sprayed starter fluid into the throttle and the vehicle turned over for half a second then died. He says no ground from injectors because fuel pump is spraying fuel when disconnected from the fuel rail and injectors are new.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:58 PM

when you turn the key to start should all the light go out while it cranks or should they stay on?

update: well i havent had any luck lately still starting the same way but today i left the key in the on position for about a min or 2 and then started and it started right up. maybe luck idk we'll see in the morning what happens.

Last edited by chico102388; 09-18-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:01 PM

To check for a fuel issue squeeze the line coming from ur fuel filter it should be hare from pressure. Spray starter fluid in your throttle body if it cranks over then u know u have a fuel issue. If it doesn't then u have a spark issues thats a fundamental
Old 11-08-2011, 04:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

One more non-starting Maxima

Since this is THE non-start thread I thought I would post here. Got in my 99 (which has been running flawlessly) this morning, started it, it ran for a second and then died. Will crank but not start. Read the whole thread. Today I have: read codes- no current codes, replaced a CPS which tested bad, pulled a spark plug, disconnected the fuel line downstream of the filter, checked all fuses, connections, looked for frayed wires, etc. Starter was replaced with a new one a few years ago. Tried jumping it from another car just to make sure it was cranking fast enough. Tried the transmission ground trick.
I know the fuel pump is pumping as I can hear it prime and it squirts fuel through the filter when you crank it. After pulling a spark plug, I found it to be bone dry and did not appear to spark when I cranked the motor. I will test the ignition switch but I am pretty doubtful of that. Diagnosing really shouldn't be this hard. It would seem I should be getting some kind of error code..
Old 01-10-2012, 09:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Need some help again. I originally posted in 2009 about the wifes car stalling 3 seconds after starting. I resolved that issue after cleaning all the oxidation on the battery terminals.

My wife left the interior lights on in her 99 overnight and drained the battery. The battery was 5 years old so I bought a new one and installed it. The cable terminals were in bad shape but I've kept them clean over the past 2 years adding vaseline every 6 months. After changing the battery the car started and stalled. So I adjusted the positive terminal and noticed the door chime stopped.

I figured its time to replace the terminals. Bought 2 of the nice brass terminals from wallyworld cut off the old ones and put the new terminals on. Now the engine cranks but won't start. I can hear the fuel pump. Verified that the security light turns solid after a few seconds of being on. The car has been faithfully starting and running. I tried searching read about grounding issues tried tacking on a few grounds as suggested in various threads. No luck still. I also checked all the fuses under the dash and in fuse box next to the battery all were good.

Suggestions?
Old 01-10-2012, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by gezster
Need some help again. I originally posted in 2009 about the wifes car stalling 3 seconds after starting. I resolved that issue after cleaning all the oxidation on the battery terminals.

My wife left the interior lights on in her 99 overnight and drained the battery. The battery was 5 years old so I bought a new one and installed it. The cable terminals were in bad shape but I've kept them clean over the past 2 years adding vaseline every 6 months. After changing the battery the car started and stalled. So I adjusted the positive terminal and noticed the door chime stopped.

I figured its time to replace the terminals. Bought 2 of the nice brass terminals from wallyworld cut off the old ones and put the new terminals on. Now the engine cranks but won't start. I can hear the fuel pump. Verified that the security light turns solid after a few seconds of being on. The car has been faithfully starting and running. I tried searching read about grounding issues tried tacking on a few grounds as suggested in various threads. No luck still. I also checked all the fuses under the dash and in fuse box next to the battery all were good.

Suggestions?
It's not a power issue or else your car won't crank.

Check the following items and rule them out 1 by 1.
The fuel pump is working and you are getting good pressure.
*Injectors - ohm check for failure
*Ignition - check ignition coils
*Spark - check plugs for fouling

Most importantly, check for codes.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by [s3]
It's not a power issue or else your car won't crank.

Check the following items and rule them out 1 by 1.
The fuel pump is working and you are getting good pressure.
*Injectors - ohm check for failure
*Ignition - check ignition coils
*Spark - check plugs for fouling

Most importantly, check for codes.

I think I may have found the problem. I mentioned that the security led is on solid after a few seconds. According to the manual the light is only solid when the NATS detects a problem. I'm thinking that the immobilizer is engaged and therefore won't start. Anyone got a suggestion on fixing this without towing it to Nissan?
Old 01-10-2012, 10:30 AM

did you get the refurb starter? They are always bad, even if the bench test says otherwise. Ive had 3 bad starters from advance, even when I replaced my starter on my car, it tested fine and then simply wouldn't engage the flywheel. Would just grind. Your issue seems to be more to do with a bad spark or not enough fuel. Checked your injectors and o-rings yet?
Old 01-10-2012, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by gezster
I think I may have found the problem. I mentioned that the security led is on solid after a few seconds. According to the manual the light is only solid when the NATS detects a problem. I'm thinking that the immobilizer is engaged and therefore won't start. Anyone got a suggestion on fixing this without towing it to Nissan?
Try different keys, if all else fails you will probably need your keys reprogrammed.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:48 AM

also, check in your trunk, behind the left side rear combination light and behind the carpeted plastic trunk guard stuff is your fuel pump control module and dropping resistor. Test these. Its right near the light and could have got splashed with water
Old 01-10-2012, 11:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by [s3]
Try different keys, if all else fails you will probably need your keys reprogrammed.

Got it started by doing the turn on / off / on / off /start. If I leave the key in the ignition it will start up fine if I take it out then it wont start with out repeating the on / off ritual. The security light stays on. I took to the dealer and they can't get to it till tomorrow. It atleast starts reliably everytime using the on/off ritual.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:33 AM

Hearing that the problem is probably a bad starter ground and the constant off/on.off/on finally gives the starter enough voltage to start. The ground location on the trans is in a terrible position and under normal driving it simply fails. Adding extra grounds in your engine bay will help avoid this and even re grounding your starter would be a good idea, or at least clean and sand the stock groundl ocation
Old 04-23-2012, 01:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Check your CRANKSHAFT POS sensor
I've heard of no codes and that still being the problem clean it then try again at worst replace it... Test it if you have a voltmeter
Old 06-25-2012, 03:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

have you tried checking you cam sensor and have you checked to see that its grounded.cuz my car had the same problem and it turns out that all i had to do was twist the ground wire and the the black wire together and it finally started but soon after died because it was shorted or somthing so i went to go buy a new one and its running just fine
Old 06-25-2012, 04:51 PM

I know i have to turn off and on with the key for mine and it works too..its not throwing anycodes...i had to adjust my iacv before it will start..its unplugged and still runs which idk how..ive bought all sensors except iacv but idk if that would cause it now to start which its not even plugged in just takes about 30 cranks but u cant crank long has to be like a 2 sec crank stop 2 sec crank stop...just weird about ta set it a blaze and get a check out of it cause i dont have tim or money to invest in something cause where i have kids and kills me when it wont start easy..but it does always start tho and runs perfect after running lol
Old 07-16-2012, 04:06 PM

Hoping maybe you guys can help me. I have a 95 Maxima, I had to do a whole engine swap on it because i ended up basically destroying the previous engine. Now we have the new engine in and everything connected back up but it's not starting. It keeps cranking just no start. Now my friend has the same car so we've been troubleshooting with a few parts from his that we know are good such as the crank sensors and cam sensors. We got it to start one time before after we got the new engine in, ran it for a few, even around the block. Turned it off and put the hood back on, then all of sudden no start. So it stumped us. But as of now, checking all connectors as well as checking for sparks from the new spark plugs we put in, we concluded its actually not sparking in 3 of them. Would anyone know if it's a ground issue if its just 3 of them not sparking or if its actually something wrong with the wire harness itself? Any help would be greatly appreciated right now. Thank you
Old 01-06-2013, 11:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by cashoit
d**n bro...im stumped. U sd u got fuel and fuel pumps usually work. Still no CEL??

If no CEL then it has to be a component that doesnt send a signal to the ECU. Im not gonna say the ECU.

If the car is cranking then i have to believe that the starter works man. U try jumping it?

I have hrd ppl cleanin the CKPS REF and the car still wouldnt run. Then they replace and it works fine. I was gonna test how well cleaning it actually works. I recently replaced my CKPS cuz my engine was turnin over slow. with the new one, it fired up good. Ima clean the old one and try it again jus to see if it still works. Not today tho...freakin blizzard outside.
So here's my story, a half and a year mu max 95 had a bend valvle, mechanical issue, I sent it to the workshop to to a whole job on it, oh surprise the car got ito the workshop running by itself, but after the repair car wont start anymore, checked cam, cranks, wiring, ecu, everything is fine, except for the pulse in the coils, no 5v pulse on them. Everything else workink fine, battery starter, maf, wirings, im starting to doubt the engine or chain was misplaced for the mechanic.
Use obd 1 getting cam and crank, tried same sensors on my other max runs fine, check wiring from sensor terminal up to the ecu, everything ok, any idea on this 5v coil missig pulse?
Old 01-06-2013, 11:49 AM
jos

Add a ground wire from the battery to the bell housing near the crank position sensor.
Because engine was removed, the ground contact between the tranny and the engine is no longer good.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Cranks but wont start

I am having a very similar problem. My 99 max will not start but it will crank all day long. I have replaced both crankshaft sensors and I am about to replace the fuel filter. I do not think it has anything to do with the fuel because I put a spark checker on it and it wasn't getting spark. When it finally did get spark it started right up. Is is totally random when it doesnt want to start, it kind of sounds like something is telling the computer to not let it spark until it reads something, I am lost as to what I am going to do next. Any ideas will help.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by c.logan
I am having a very similar problem. My 99 max will not start but it will crank all day long. I have replaced both crankshaft sensors and I am about to replace the fuel filter. I do not think it has anything to do with the fuel because I put a spark checker on it and it wasn't getting spark. When it finally did get spark it started right up. Is is totally random when it doesnt want to start, it kind of sounds like something is telling the computer to not let it spark until it reads something, I am lost as to what I am going to do next. Any ideas will help.
1999 has NATS - immobilizer anti-theft system. This is likely your issue as I believe that it cuts off spark to immobilize vehicle. Unfortunately, I know little about NATS as my 97 doesn't have it. Good luck.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:21 AM
wxm

Originally Posted by c.logan
It could be the ignition switch.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Do not know what's going on!!

I may have to buy one. Once I find out what's the problem. I'm having the same problems that you had... What is a P.O.? Thank you so much for your assistance. Also, I have a 2006 Nissan Maxima with 111,000 miles..

Originally Posted by internetautomar
fuel pump?
it's easy. Pull the back seat bottom out, remove access cover, remove sending unit (unplug hoses and electrical connectors), pump is attached to the bottom of the tank.
it's an easy job laborwise, but if you have a tank full of gas (or even half full) you will be getting gas on your hands.

Make sure you check the current pump for fuel pressure before going to replace it. I did AFTER most of the above steps, turns out the P.O. was wrong and the fuel pump was good now I have a brand new fuel pump on my shelf for no good reason. Anyone want to buy one?
Old 04-29-2015, 12:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

What going on?????

I may have to buy one. Once I find out what's the problem. I'm having the same problems that you had... What is a P.O.? Thank you so much for your assistance. Also, I have a 2006 Nissan Maxima with 111,000 miles. Please help me...
Old 10-19-2015, 10:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello I'm new here and I ran into a problem I replaced my motor on my 02 max 6 speed everything all good when I turn it on. It ran for 10-15 min and then it shut off now it won't turn back on I check all the fuse, wiring harness, the sensors,fuel pump it has a new starter. Fuel injecting not spraying and no spark on the coils. I spray some start fluid in it and it cranks and It will start until I stop spraying.I don't know if this makes a difference but my friend had his computer on the car while it was running and I think he tried to clear the codes while it was on
Old 10-21-2015, 07:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have been following this thread lately...

My 99 Maxima GLE started yesterday and then stopped. I tried to restart engine and it just cranked over. So I installed a new fuel pump, did not start, hours later I changed the spark plugs (they were probably originals ( 182K ) ( bought car few years back and put 50K on it )

Car started and ran but 1 minute later stopped running. So i had a new fuel filter installed that just now and still no start.

Any ideas????

EDIT* I did noticed the plug to the fuel pump in tank did not connect or snap in but it is still stayed pulled in. Maybe its not touching the spades inside?

Last edited by davidtemple; 10-21-2015 at 07:15 AM.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I recently had this issue. I had no spark and my car didn't want to start. Turns out that somehow the anti-theft system thought my car was being robbed and it locked the engine. All you have to do is take the car to the dealer and get it reprogrammed. Problem solved.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:03 PM

yea that happened to me . cost 400 bucks to have it reprogrammed and new key made becuz the key went bad
Old 11-15-2020, 01:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well bought a 97 Maxima, looks great, put new battery in, cranked...no start. Replaced the crank and cam sensors, fuel pump. No fuel or fire to system. I looked at ignition, it has a chip.....The key I have has no chip, since I bought at an auction. Question I have is, does the key chip talk to the one in ignition and then ignition to main car computer? Do I need to have a key made to match the system by a nissan dealer?
Thanks in advance
Old 11-15-2020, 08:04 PM

97 doesn't have a chip! It's anti theft system can be turned off with you inside the car lock the doors, put the key the ignition, turn on the ignition, turn the ignition off, unlock the door! Now try to start the car.
Old 11-16-2020, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
97 doesn't have a chip! It's anti theft system can be turned off with you inside the car lock the doors, put the key the ignition, turn on the ignition, turn the ignition off, unlock the door! Now try to start the car.
cmax c'mon man, there's a way to re=program the key and a simple search should turn up the results. takes about 30 seconds and sometimes 2 tries but it's easy.
Old 11-16-2020, 06:58 AM

If 97 has a programmed key why doesn't my 98 have a programmed key? Are you meaning key phob?
Old 11-16-2020, 07:02 AM

Try to start it in Neutral! you may have a transmission linkage issue.....not fully in Park engaging the inhibitor switch! Another trick is to hold forward pressure on your shifter....GL it's something simple!
Old 11-17-2020, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
If 97 has a programmed key why doesn't my 98 have a programmed key? Are you meaning key phob?
yup

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cranks all day but wont start =(