4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

loud rattle

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 07:11 PM

loud rattle

so I started my car tonight after its been sitting all day (drove it in the morning and all was fine) and it was making this loud rattling noise under the hood. oil was just changed. the noise stays loud until the engine warms up then gets quieter and stays rattling. When I come to a stop (or breaking) the rattle noise gets louder until I put it in gear and go, then it justs gets quieter. I THINK the noise is coming from either the left side of the UIM, or underneath it. Misfire? No clue. Havent checked codes yet, but I will tomorrow afternoon at my mechanics, but any thoughts as to what this could be?? thanks...
Old 01-27-2010, 09:57 AM

are you leaking any fluids?

if you rev the engine the noise's pitch or sound remains the same?

i guess you should figure out exactly how to make the sound go away and re appear

i had some thing like this once and the noise would go away when i push the clutch in turned out i needed a new tranny ...i guess the seal for the axle went bad and oil had been leaking and no oil in tranny ... you get the picture

in your case my 1st thought was the throw out bearing or a bad bearing in the tranny like i had (i read that its a common problem on 4th gens)
Old 01-27-2010, 08:02 PM

Did you change the oil yourself? Have you checked the oil since it was changed? How recently was it changed, and has it rattled ever since?
I've personally seen the results of Jiffy Lube leaving a filter loose. My Brother received a free Intrepid due to this, that only needed him to spend his 401K rebuilding the motor.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by asand1
Jiffy Lube
I think you spelled 'thieves' wrong.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:18 PM

it was actually the timing chain tensioner that was causing this, and when my mechanic checked it, there was no oil in the oil pan, even though the oil was changed last week, and I check the oil dipstick everyday cuz my oil pressure light was on because of a bad sensor, but I wanted to always make sure there was enough oil, which the dipstick was reading plenty, yet there was about a quart of oil left in the pan, and no one has any idea of where it leaked out to. I'll know more tomorrow after they start working on it, but thanks for the input guys...
Old 01-28-2010, 12:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I hope yours is cheaper than mine was!!

Good luck!
Old 01-29-2010, 08:26 AM

Timing Chain Repair Cost?

Folks, I just got back from the Nissan shop. My '98 Maxima needs timing chain repair. It's not broken, and the car is driveable, but it's got the banging noise at startup that has been described in the thread. I got a quote of $2K for the repair (they're going to do the water pump since they are cracking the timing case). For those who have had the repair, can you share with me whether this is a fair price or not?
Old 01-29-2010, 08:34 AM

Could be your altenator bearings. The GFs car did that untill we changed that.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by jclowes
Folks, I just got back from the Nissan shop. My '98 Maxima needs timing chain repair. It's not broken, and the car is driveable, but it's got the banging noise at startup that has been described in the thread. I got a quote of $2K for the repair (they're going to do the water pump since they are cracking the timing case). For those who have had the repair, can you share with me whether this is a fair price or not?

All of my T/C tensioners were replaced a couple of weeks ago (all Nissan parts). I told them not to bother with the water pump and that came to $1700 - this was an independant shop not the dealer.

What are they actually quoting you for? Complete timing chain replacement?
Old 01-29-2010, 04:53 PM

They quoted me for replacment of the primary timing chain, tensioners, and the water pump. He said about $600 in parts and the balance in labor. All Nissan parts, and this was the Nissan service center associated with the nearby Nissan dealer. I have the car being evaluated today by a local independent center for the same repair. Wanting a second opinion and I trust this person to give me the straight answer. He says that he wants to do his own eval, but says he would be able to beat the dealer's service center for equivalent repair $$$-wise. From what I am reading, this repair is not 'rocket science' - more than what I am capable of, but it's not something that requires "official" Nissan hands to perform. Opinions?
Old 01-30-2010, 09:20 AM

OK, just got back from the independent repair shop. Turns out that the Nissan service shop got it wrong! Rather than it being a $2,000 timing chain problem, the testing done by the independent shop proved out a squealing alternator and belt tensioner.... an $800 repair including new Nissan parts (no reman'd alternator, please). I learned through the tech who worked my car that the '98 Maxima's have an alternator that was unique just for that model year. Hmmm, what was the Nissan shop thinking? Oh well, I now have a favorite repair shop and will have my Maxima back in shape by Wednesday! Thanks for the help!
Old 01-30-2010, 11:58 PM

Whoa Whoa Whoa 800 dollars to replace an alternator and tensioner ??
Maybe im not understanding you correctly... but that job shouldnt cost half as much.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:40 AM

98 alternators are unique? I'd understand if it was my damned car but not on a 98....
Old 01-31-2010, 06:43 AM

Mine cost me a $1,000 for everything, though I have known my mechanic since I was a kid and one of my good friends works there, so I wouldnt except everyone to get a price that cheap, but I saw all the receipts for everything and how long it took to do the job, and 2,000 seems high to me. Dont go to the dealer, find a good honest independent shop, the repair must be done. Good luck...
Old 01-31-2010, 09:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

It's hard to trust anyone
Old 02-02-2010, 03:00 PM

check your oil and all other fluids
Old 02-02-2010, 04:43 PM

OK, just got back from the independent repair shop. Turns out that the Nissan service shop got it wrong! Rather than it being a $2,000 timing chain problem, the testing done by the independent shop proved out a squealing alternator and belt tensioner.... an $800 repair including new Nissan parts (no reman'd alternator, please). I learned through the tech who worked my car that the '98 Maxima's have an alternator that was unique just for that model year. Hmmm, what was the Nissan shop thinking? Oh well, I now have a favorite repair shop and will have my Maxima back in shape by Wednesday! Thanks for the help!
Told Ya
Old 02-06-2010, 05:42 PM

Sorry it's taken so long to update this thread. I did go back to the independent repair shop for the alternator and tensioner. When I mentioned to them that some of my 'friends' in the auto repair world thought that their price was a little high, they took another look at their quote. They were able to get the cost down to $539 for the parts and labor. Had the work done on Wednesday and everything is now purring quite nicely. Thanks to eveyone for the commentary and advice. I would have been really peeved if the Nissan shop had actually cracked open the timing case without cause. And I saved $1,500 in the process.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:15 PM

I just did the same job myself and paid $130 for a reman'd alternator and $10 for a belt, and it took me about 5 hours with an extra trip to the auto shop. I don't think you did too bad at $500+.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Squeeling noise by the belts

I have a squeeling noise, I replaced the alternator and the tensioner, I still have the same noise. it is driving me crazy. when in idle you could hear it very low and when i accelarate the noise gets louder. What do you guys think it could be? I have not changed the belt or compresor. Please help me
Old 02-27-2010, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by juliom787
I have a squeeling noise, I replaced the alternator and the tensioner, I still have the same noise. it is driving me crazy. when in idle you could hear it very low and when i accelarate the noise gets louder. What do you guys think it could be? I have not changed the belt or compresor. Please help me

More than likely its your A/C Compressor Clutch Bearing. I have had this problem before and most people in the forums tell you to puta shorter belt and bypass the compressor but if you want to test it, turn on the A/C on 1 and listen to if the noise lessens or not. If it is that, there is a sticky to change the bearing.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by LushMoney
so I started my car tonight after its been sitting all day (drove it in the morning and all was fine) and it was making this loud rattling noise under the hood. oil was just changed. the noise stays loud until the engine warms up then gets quieter and stays rattling. When I come to a stop (or breaking) the rattle noise gets louder until I put it in gear and go, then it justs gets quieter. I THINK the noise is coming from either the left side of the UIM, or underneath it. Misfire? No clue. Havent checked codes yet, but I will tomorrow afternoon at my mechanics, but any thoughts as to what this could be?? thanks...
I've been having almost the exact same problem. I also just recently removed my amp to get it warrantied so right now it's music-less in my car so the only thing I hear at a red light is this loud noise which is driving me insane. I'll be getting the noise checked out sometime next week so i'll know what it is then. I must say that what I thought was something minor is now making me very nervous after reading this thread.. Although I have no idea where the noise is coming from.. at first I thought it was coming from the rear lol. I'm still hoping that maybe i'll get lucky and it is just something minor though..

Last edited by '96 B-rad; 02-28-2010 at 01:09 AM.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by '96 B-rad
I've been having almost the exact same problem. I also just recently removed my amp to get it warrantied so right now it's music-less in my car so the only thing I hear at a red light is this loud noise which is driving me insane. I'll be getting the noise checked out sometime next week so i'll know what it is then. I must say that what I thought was something minor is now making me very nervous after reading this thread.. Although I have no idea where the noise is coming from.. at first I thought it was coming from the rear lol. I'm still hoping that maybe i'll get lucky and it is just something minor though..
uhh yea get that checked out ASAP cuz I thought it was minor also and turned out to be my timing chain tensioner and water pump. get it checked out right away, dont wait for it to mess up your car...
Old 02-28-2010, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by LushMoney
uhh yea get that checked out ASAP cuz I thought it was minor also and turned out to be my timing chain tensioner and water pump. get it checked out right away, dont wait for it to mess up your car...
It started a little while ago but another week shouldn't hurt it. I'll try to see if he can get it this tuesday or thursday though just to be safe. I really don't think it's the timing chain though after reading a couple threads about that. But you never know I could be wrong, just hope not lol.

Last edited by '96 B-rad; 02-28-2010 at 08:53 PM.