4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

just replaced my brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2001, 05:46 PM

just replaced my brake pads

i also resurfaced my rotors. i'm hearing a slight metal to metal scraping/grinding when slowing to a stop. it's very soft but noticable. the pads are semi metallic. do i need to wait a few days for my pads seat on the rotors or is something wrong?
Old 12-07-2001, 09:37 PM
KCTYPHOON

Re: just replaced my brake pads

Originally posted by max808
i also resurfaced my rotors. i'm hearing a slight metal to metal scraping/grinding when slowing to a stop. it's very soft but noticable. the pads are semi metallic. do i need to wait a few days for my pads seat on the rotors or is something wrong?
the only pads that are not gonna make noise on a maxima are the nissan pads.. ive been though countless sets along with my friend. even the mechanics at the dealership told us.. i dont care what anyone tells you. all the other aftermarket pads are gonna make noise.

Old 12-07-2001, 09:44 PM

yes you need to break in the new pads and roters. dont brake hard and gently press the brake to slowly cruise until you stop. Im not shure how long it takes until its fully broken in.
Old 01-15-2002, 08:36 PM

replaced Front & Rear pads but!...

hello guys,
i replaced my front and rear brake pads two days ago with Raybestos (PG PLUS BRAKE PADS for Front & PROSTOP BRAKE PADS for Rear) a $50 deal at PepBoys. everything works good! brakes good and no more irritating clunk sound when i brake as i back up the drive way. the only screwed up thing i did was slightly damaged(crack) dust cover of Rear pistons. the rear caliper pistons are so hard to turn so i can slide calipers back with new pads installed.

Quick question what could be that low tone humming noise when i a sudden brake ? the noise happens only when i apply a sudden brake to make a quick turn or a car in front of me would completely stop.

thank you very much for your time.
Old 01-15-2002, 09:11 PM

Re: replaced Front & Rear pads but!...

Hey Carl what causes that clunking noise when ur going in reverse. I've noticed this sound too while backing out of my drive way on an incline. I always thought it was my transmission or something.

Originally posted by carlmax5
hello guys,
i replaced my front and rear brake pads two days ago with Raybestos (PG PLUS BRAKE PADS for Front & PROSTOP BRAKE PADS for Rear) a $50 deal at PepBoys. everything works good! brakes good and no more irritating clunk sound when i brake as i back up the drive way. the only screwed up thing i did was slightly damaged(crack) dust cover of Rear pistons. the rear caliper pistons are so hard to turn so i can slide calipers back with new pads installed.

Quick question what could be that low tone humming noise when i a sudden brake ? the noise happens only when i apply a sudden brake to make a quick turn or a car in front of me would completely stop.

thank you very much for your time.
Old 01-15-2002, 10:41 PM

Re: Re: replaced Front & Rear pads but!...

Originally posted by NISMO808
Hey Carl what causes that clunking noise when ur going in reverse. I've noticed this sound too while backing out of my drive way on an incline. I always thought it was my transmission or something.

I know for sure it was within the caliper assembly that was making that clunk noise when I back up the drive way.
And what i observe after installing new pads the noise was gone

when was the last time u had your brakes check? your pads maybe worn out too if you have not replaced them with new pads.
Old 01-16-2002, 09:27 AM

I have to replace the front pads pretty soon. Are raybestos the brand found at Trak Auto and Pep Boys?
Old 01-16-2002, 01:31 PM

Re: just replaced my brake pads

Raybestos QuietStop (ceramix) pads are the way to go. I have had them on my Max for several months now and they are absolutely excellent! Quiet, very little brake dust and excellent stopping power. $54.00/set and worth every dime!