4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Hood Alignment Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 03:32 PM

Hood Alignment Issue

Hey guys, I've had this issue for a while now, but since its starting to get warmer outside I want to fix it.

I'm just gonna list all the details as to what I'm experiencing:

-When using the hood release the hood pops up no problem

-When I open the hood it stays open, although in really cold weather it tends to close on my head very slowly (probably going to have to replace the hood struts eventually)

-Here's the main issue: I used to be able to bring the hood down half way, let go and the hood would close securely. Now when I close the hood I have to slam it shut. In reference to the fenders, it now sits considerably lower on the driver side and a little lower on the passenger side. Before it was perfectly lined up.

-I have removed the lock spring, cleaned it and re-lubricated it. The lock assembly was also re-lubed.

-I do need to replace the front two hood bumpers, but I don't think that will fully fix the issue

-I have not been involved in any accidents although I had my rad support replaced. Part #6 was re-installed by the shop, but due to rust on the bottom I don't think it was lined up correctly when bolted back on:

So could that part be pulling down on the lock causing the hood to require that extra push to shut and throwing off the alignment? Or is there something else I should check out?
Old 03-27-2010, 05:28 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

The bumpers on each side of the radiator support sets the hood height.
Screw them upward to raise the hood even with your fenders. You may have to re-adjust your latch once you get the hood at the right height.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
The bumpers on each side of the radiator support sets the hood height.
Screw them upward to raise the hood even with your fenders. You may have to re-adjust your latch once you get the hood at the right height.
Looks like I'll have to start with those and work from there. I just find it strange that when I close the hood, it's like the latch pulls the hood down farther than it should. In the FSM it shows that the latch can move up and down so I'll check that out tomorrow.