4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Difficulty of Radiator support Swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 03:09 PM

Difficulty of Radiator support Swap

Is this a difficult procedure? mine is really rusted, and I was going to put some rust encapsulator on it but it looks like it's not going to be enough.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Maximeltman
Is this a difficult procedure? mine is really rusted, and I was going to put some rust encapsulator on it but it looks like it's not going to be enough.

This is a difficult job. There are many threads out there relating to this. First thing the support is welded which means you need the machine to weld it back. Also, you have two choices which I have heard of. First, do not buy any aftermarket ones because they only last a few months (wouldn't make it to 6 months) so spend the extra and stay with OEM. Trust me, I have been down this road and had to pay twice to do it. Second, is to find someone that's good at welding to weld back a thick piece of metal right where it rusted and have him drill and weld back the nuts onto the back of it and that will solve your problem.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:50 PM

thanks Trini...I'm just gonna stick it out with my current support then.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:25 PM

Would this be a good option? It says it's genuine Nissan.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
Old 04-07-2010, 07:10 PM

You can get it through courtesy nissan for $140
Old 04-07-2010, 07:25 PM

o yea? gotta check it out. just the bottom though, right?
Old 04-07-2010, 07:28 PM

hey thanks man, I just found it!
Old 09-11-2010, 07:32 PM

Okay been a while I just ordered it so I need to wait for its arrival.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:44 PM

yo, throw up a pic of your support, i did mine like 2 years ago and took it to a shop where he bent and welded a thick piece of metal and painted it with several coats of outdoor rustoleum. its holdin for now.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:17 PM

the left bolt is not (Hank Hill's voice)'Structurally sound'...lol
I coated with eastwood rust crap about 4 months ago.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:39 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

I've done about 6-7 radiator supports, all of them on 95-99s except for one which I did last night on my buddy's 2000 SE. Its a fairly intense job if you've never done it or seen it done before. If you're near the Chicago I may be able to help

Part of the reason why I've done so many is because the first two were aftermarket and only lasted 3 months each. Stick to OEM NISSAN part. Mine has lasted almost 2 years now and still looks like new.

Last edited by ColombianMax; 09-12-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
I've done about 6-7 radiator supports, all of them on 95-99s except for one which I did last night on my buddy's 2000 SE. Its a fairly intense job if you've never done it or seen it done before. If you're near the Chicago I may be able to help

Part of the reason why I've done so many is because the first two were aftermarket and only lasted 3 months each. Stick to OEM NISSAN part. Mine has lasted almost 2 years now and still looks like new.
Yo Columbian, did you paint yours over? I did not paint mine yet..
Old 09-12-2010, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Trini Boom
Yo Columbian, did you paint yours over? I did not paint mine yet..
No I did not. I still have to get it spot welded but no shop wants to, every shop I've taken it to either wants $200+ for a few spot welds or won't touch or it
Old 09-12-2010, 02:25 PM

the left bolt is not (Hank Hill's voice)'Structurally sound'...lol
I coated with eastwood rust crap about 4 months ago.
ummmm, the date on the pic says "2/13/2005???
Old 09-12-2010, 02:57 PM

Whats the reason the aftermarket ones FAIL after a fews months?
f241f69c-ee6e-4a3f-a358-b3f918a432f3
Old 09-12-2010, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
ummmm, the date on the pic says "2/13/2005???
Ya lol i dont really use that camera much but it crashed or something so the date wont budge i cant adjust it
Old 09-12-2010, 04:02 PM

I'm in omaha NE so up to you...
Old 09-12-2010, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by MAXIMA_STYLE
There is suppose to be an extra piece of iron where the bolts go in for the crossmember which the aftermarket ones do not have. The weight of the engine just rips through the weak aftermarket metal and you are back to square one.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by MAXIMA_STYLE
The thing is, it doesnt even break due to rust but due to the thinness of Coca Cola can metal used. It cant handle the weight and power. Of my 5spd at least not sure about auto.

Because they look like this on day 1
[IMG][/IMG]

and then like this on day 90

Old 09-12-2010, 11:59 PM

I'm in omaha NE so up to you...
I-88 W and I-80 W
463 mi 7 hours 43 mins...pff thats 6.5 hours in a Maxima
Old 09-13-2010, 12:06 AM

wow that does look intense
Old 09-13-2010, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by blackmaxftw
wow that does look intense
yea its there lol
Old 09-13-2010, 01:12 PM

Are they all like that? or just certain ones? i thought most have to be capa certified in order to be sold?? WTF man i dont want to spend over 300 for a new support...or even 150 for a lower one at that from nissan!! hmmm it really isnt that labor instense if youve ever worked on a car or did an engine swap, i can get my whole front end apart in like 25 minutes so the most of the time would be spent ripping the old one off for sure, however two guys one on each side could have it off in no time and install is quite simple its just tedious and time consuming.....something basically that requires some beer LOL
Old 09-13-2010, 05:11 PM

I-88 W and I-80 W
463 mi 7 hours 43 mins...pff thats 6.5 hours in a Maxima
lol I'm probably just get a local guy to weld it
Whats the best way to take out the old one, drill it out or cut it out?
Old 09-13-2010, 07:58 PM

they are a ***** to remove and replace, i've seen it done and would'nt attempt it personally. christ, it took the body shop like 2 hours to do the quickie weld up job they did do.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:01 PM

lol I'm probably just get a local guy to weld it
Whats the best way to take out the old one, drill it out or cut it out?
My preferred method is using an air hammer/chisel. Make sure the chisel is nice and sharpened and you can separate everything in about an hour or less, It'll break the welds and rip the crap out of the metal right off
Old 09-14-2010, 08:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm on my 2nd Radiator support that was an "aftermarket certified" Keystone auto part. I got the car back, and day 1, one of the spot welds popped, and by day 3, four had gone.

My mechanic, who was very frustrated at this point, having to do 2 supports in 3 months deduced that the support was weak, and for the time being actually DRILLED out into the top of the support where the bolts holes are, then machined a piece to fit on the top of the support. After that he threaded the holes on the machined piece, and fitted it with grade 8 bolts. So instead of all the weight being put on the lower part of the support, it is putting it on the top of the support where it is more structurally sound. I've had it like that for over a year, and with hard driving it has still yet to budge.

If your bottom of your support is still in somewhat decent shape, then clean it up, and try this method. Make sure not to over-tourque the bolts because it will squish the support on the bottom.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by KH3SE98
I'm on my 2nd Radiator support that was an "aftermarket certified" Keystone auto part. I got the car back, and day 1, one of the spot welds popped, and by day 3, four had gone.

My mechanic, who was very frustrated at this point, having to do 2 supports in 3 months deduced that the support was weak, and for the time being actually DRILLED out into the top of the support where the bolts holes are, then machined a piece to fit on the top of the support. After that he threaded the holes on the machined piece, and fitted it with grade 8 bolts. So instead of all the weight being put on the lower part of the support, it is putting it on the top of the support where it is more structurally sound. I've had it like that for over a year, and with hard driving it has still yet to budge.

If your bottom of your support is still in somewhat decent shape, then clean it up, and try this method. Make sure not to over-tourque the bolts because it will squish the support on the bottom.
Not to sure on the condition of the bottom, all I can tell you is that when I pushed a Phillips screwdriver hard enough it made that hole pictured above, and I wasn't gonna mess with the other side lol. So yea, I think it's on its last leg. but thanks for the alternate method.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:58 PM

I found a couple guys locally to weld for $100. One asked me if I want it a stick or MIG weld. I'm no bozo but here I must be..
I understand it's just spot welding thats to be done here, can anyone please offer some input?
Old 09-17-2010, 02:33 PM

I did mine about 2 months ago. Aside from being a long job, I didn't find it as hard as most people say it is. I did have some fitment problems with the OEM nissan support that took me a little while to fix.

Be careful if you use the old bolts from the crossmember. I ended up breaking the welds that hold the nuts inside the support when I impacted the bolts in. I had to cut a rectangle where the top of the nuts are and re-weld them properly.

Taking the old one off was easy. Just gotta drill out the welds. Actually instead of welding the new one on I rivetted it on where I drilled out the spotwelds. It's holding great.

M.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by MaXPoWA
I did mine about 2 months ago. Aside from being a long job, I didn't find it as hard as most people say it is. I did have some fitment problems with the OEM nissan support that took me a little while to fix.

Be careful if you use the old bolts from the crossmember. I ended up breaking the welds that hold the nuts inside the support when I impacted the bolts in. I had to cut a rectangle where the top of the nuts are and re-weld them properly.

Taking the old one off was easy. Just gotta drill out the welds. Actually instead of welding the new one on I rivetted it on where I drilled out the spotwelds. It's holding great.

M.

Problems with an OEM support?? Sounds like your car was in an accident and wasn't straightened back out right.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:28 AM

Nope. Even OEM parts can have minor defects. In my case two of the holes were slightly misaligned. My car's only had two previous owners, both of which are friends of mine. My car's never even been in a fender bender.

Problems with an OEM support?? Sounds like your car was in an accident and wasn't straightened back out right.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by MaXPoWA
Nope. Even OEM parts can have minor defects. In my case two of the holes were slightly misaligned. My car's only had two previous owners, both of which are friends of mine. My car's never even been in a fender bender.
Are you sure about that? My car has been in 3 accidents and my body man put it in without any alignment issues..I was helping him put it in and he has been the only man to work on my car.

Also, I would question your OEM support because how would the nuts break off by reusing the old crossmember screws?? That would indicate that you don't have the extra piece of iron holding the nuts.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:03 AM

Are you sure about that? My car has been in 3 accidents and my body man put it in without any alignment issues..I was helping him put it in and he has been the only man to work on my car.

Also, I would question your OEM support because how would the nuts break off by reusing the old crossmember screws?? That would indicate that you don't have the extra piece of iron holding the nuts.
You can question it all you want, fact is I bought the support directly from my local nissan dealer. And on the crossmember bolts the threads were pretty damaged so at some point they locked in the nuts inside the support and the impact gun broke the welds... I can tell you that the nuts under there are welded in 4 places. The metal down there is thicker but I can tell you cause I cut it open with a grinder those welds are weak. And yeah I'm sure about my car never being in an accident for two reasons.

A. I know both previous owners.
B. I have a carfax report.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:00 PM

There's some quality posts here, but thought I'd add my personal experiences.

I rear-ended a truck and took his tow hitch. My front rebar had pinched my radiator into a C shape against my motor. I drove this 5 miles home, successfully. Here's what I did:

1) Had to use a come along winch to get the pressure off the radiator so I could remove it, you probably won't need this, since it's just rust! =P

2) Got a new radiator support from CertiFit (I hate these guys.) The part miraculous fit pretty well once I got the new rebar on (which didn't fit as nicely.)

3) I just used a torch and cut off the old one, you have to completely remove head light assemblies, the grille assembly, the bumper cover should come out too. I then had to use a chisel, because they use some insane adhesive weld **** attach that part.

4) I put the new one in place, put all the parts on, got it where I wanted it, and drilled 2 screws in to hold it.

5) Drove it down the street to a muffler shop and paid them to weld it on.

6) The car made it around 8k miles after that before I finally ran into head gasket problems and parted it.

It's a beast of a task, and I'd set aside 3 days to work on it.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:04 PM

No I did not. I still have to get it spot welded but no shop wants to, every shop I've taken it to either wants $200+ for a few spot welds or won't touch or it
Independently owned muffler shops are usually pretty cool, in my experience. I've hit up 2 separate ones and just explained to them my situation:

Just a broke guy who didn't trust others to work on my car, and wanted to do it myself, so I took the task up but I need an experienced welder.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:34 PM

anyone have experience with spot weld removing drill bits? I can get a cheap one on ebay for about 14 shipped, 8mm which is approx 3/8"...I have an air chisel should that be enough like Columbianmax stated?
Old 09-20-2010, 05:03 PM

ttt here is waht the new one looks like i sprayed it with 3 coats of black rusto, then 2 coats of bedliner lol I dont think it will rust anytime soon.

Last edited by Maximeltman; 09-20-2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:42 AM

I'm in the process of welding mine back onto my maxima. I wanted to know what type of weld you used to weld it back on? If you spot welded, did you need to fill the material you drilled out behind the old support back in, or what! I understand spot welder have two electrodes for pressure to fuse the two metals together, but can I just drill out the new crossmember and stick feed?
Old 10-30-2010, 09:49 PM

UPDATE:n I replaced it last month, it was actually not that bad to do. Anyways, onto bigger & better things (rear parking cable)

Quick Reply: Difficulty of Radiator support Swap