4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Tein s tech strut compatibility???

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 07:24 AM

Tein s tech strut compatibility???

Ok so i have a set of stechs. And now that i am wantin to install and due to lack of research i realize now after i bought them that unlike the websites say they are not suitable for stock struts. But also as i research i realize most struts aren't made for a drop lower than 1.5".

So now im confused in what struts to get or if i shuld scratch the stech idea now.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:54 AM
Got Retrofit?

If you want to use those S-Techs I'd suggest getting some performance struts such as KYB AGXs, Tokico Illuminas, or Koni Yellows.

Don't put any lowering springs on stock struts, no matter what drop.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:11 AM

Hi, I have the same situation. I have the s-techs but have not installed yet. I am going to use Tokico Illuminas. From what I can tell, they are the best shock for the s-techs. if you put them on stock suspension you will blow your struts.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:24 AM
Pixell

Hi,

I just wanna share...

I have use tein s tech and koni yellow for almost 4 months (rare driving car)

I feel the ride quality is so nice... except when you hit pot hole of course (I believe when you drop your car more than 2" no matter what spring strut combo that you use they will give u the same feel)...
Old 04-06-2010, 09:50 AM

I had S-techs and illumina's. I found it rode way better than the stock set up.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:09 PM

using S. Techs and illumina's, it is a great ride, alittle stiff for me at first, but the struts are 5 point dampening, make them alittle softer and you got yourself a smooth ride.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
If you want to use those S-Techs I'd suggest getting some performance struts such as KYB AGXs, Tokico Illuminas, or Koni Yellows.

Don't put any lowering springs on stock struts, no matter what drop.
Why?
Old 04-06-2010, 06:49 PM

S techs and OEM struts from AZ=FAIL

I know this personally
Old 04-06-2010, 07:45 PM

"Fail"?? Do you mean fail as in Ride quality or blown struts.... This is what I'm getting at lol, of course the ride quality is among the worst, but can be improved by tires or rims, how I know? I'm dropped as low as S.Techs on stock struts (Almost 20k miles)... I want to go Illuminas but I'm also broke....
Old 04-06-2010, 08:18 PM
boost me.....

Originally Posted by aackshun
"Fail"?? Do you mean fail as in Ride quality or blown struts.... This is what I'm getting at lol, of course the ride quality is among the worst, but can be improved by tires or rims, how I know? I'm dropped as low as S.Techs on stock struts (Almost 20k miles)... I want to go Illuminas but I'm also broke....
You sacrifice ride quality and you blow out your struts haha.

If you have lower mileage stock struts they will last for a bit...Mine were all ready blown so it wasn't an option for me...
Old 04-06-2010, 08:24 PM

i have tein s tech springs with agx gr2 which are non adjustable a step up from stock ( previous owner thought it was a good idea) and the ride is horrible the car feels like its going to bounce off the road when driving. i had agx adjustable struts with tein S with my previous max and liked it it was a nice stiff ride.

Last edited by max4u2c; 04-07-2010 at 05:32 AM.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

just go with d2
Old 04-06-2010, 10:00 PM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by aackshun
Why?
Originally Posted by 96blackmaxSE
You sacrifice ride quality and you blow out your struts haha.
There you go.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:24 PM

I know I sacrifice ride quality... Just thinking that the whole blown strut thing is just blown way out of proportion....

Oh well, like i said, at least 20k+ on a non-org approved setup, I'll keep rockin it till the day they blow.

Then it's Illumina+GC time...

::edit::

Back on topic.... I'm sorry for partial thread jacking...

Illuminas+S.Techs will work juuust fine, Real1.

Last edited by aackshun; 04-07-2010 at 01:00 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:47 AM

Hey i liked the lil back n forth there! LOL!
Old 04-07-2010, 01:40 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Ive had Stechs so I speak from experience.

1. The drop is too low. There is NO travel. You are riding on the bump stops. For those of you who think the ride is good, you just keep telling your self that.

2. The spring rates are too low. Even if you had stock travel you will still bottom out.

3. Your suspension geometry is way out of whack now. I hope you like bump steer.

But if you still insist on slamming your car then at least use shortened Konis up front, extended travel rear upper mounts, and trimmed foam bump stops. I had Stechs with CSK and had OK travel up front. I had stock rear mounts and bottomed out all the time. They were on my car for 2 months. Biggest POS springs I have ever tried. The kid I bought them from had Illuminas with stock bump stops. I checked travel. Zero, zip, nada! I rode in the car. Absolute crap.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:12 PM

Hmm...interesting different point of views.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:52 PM
Got Retrofit?

I would listen to JSutter if I were you..
Old 04-07-2010, 11:29 PM

Hate to argue w/ JS, but there are ways to skin the cat, not as effectively as what JS said but I have been getting away w/ it, not that I recommend it, I just don't want it to go on record that IT'S IMPOSSIBLE or IT'S WRONG.

It is definitely possible to have acceptable ride quality w/ "crappy" springs, low drop, and stock struts, you just have to spend your money wisely.

I'm just stating my opinion, and the opinion of passengers/other drivers of my car. But I'm wearing a fire hat for this one cause the flames will be intense...

Dropzone Springs+Stock Struts (Don't think the 'stops are cut)+Michellin PS2s = decent ride, with alright (I think it's great, but I really have no idea how well my car handles compared to others, but other people have complimented how well my car looks through corners and the lack of body roll). Oh and I don't have bump steer, only really have that when braking on bald tires, don't have any problems keeping the car straight (during regular, non launching conditions).

The tires REALLY made the difference, before I got PS2s, I've tried many other brands and highly recommended tires and all of them gave a bone jarring (Car came w/ Nero Zeros, moved onto Goodyear Eagles, then Potenza RE960s then S-02s), ride. I had given up on the thought of not feeling every bump on the road until I came up on a pair of used PS2s.... Oh boy was my world opened... If only I had gotten a whole set, I would probably have a damn good ride and forget about getting anything more expensive (suspension wise).

I'll anticipate the next responses... "Oh but you're running a near $400 tire setup up front, you better ride/handle like you're a god."

True, in the end, if you don't spend the money one place it'll end up going somewhere else.

"You're running dropzones, not s.techs fool!"

The drop is essentially the same, except the rear on DZ's are .2 lower.

S.Techs > Dropzones, been in max's w/ stock struts and S.Techs, rides even better, car's body even moves less (May even be able to get away w/ not having to buy a $800 tire setup lol).

Just never say never, and nothing is impossible, these is no ultimate end-all-be-all, and don't be complacent with the accepted norm.

Last edited by aackshun; 04-07-2010 at 11:46 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:53 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Different stroke for different folks.

The problem here is understanding how suspension works. 95% of Maxima owners just want a low ride height. Its all about looks. They dont care about much other than wheel gap. Ive been down that road before, pun intended. Ive just about tucked my wheels back in the day. Its bumpy, choppy, and bouncy. Never again.

IMO 4th gens look silly dropped more than 1.5". Heck Im on Eibachs and its a hair too low for me.

If I could convince 5 orgers to install CSK with a mild drop it would be like changing the world. For some reason the Koni install is like pulling teeth for you guys. Its not hard and its well worth the small amount of work involved.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:20 PM

What are your eibachs paired up with?
Old 04-08-2010, 03:49 PM

i am have Ksports (2.2/2) my fronts are GR2"s (which i got from a junkyard for $35 a pair) and the rear are monroe OEM replacements with life time warrenty. the fronts ride a little rough but i expected that since i've own a bunch of lowered cars before and the rears actually ride some what smooth. if your like me and dont mind working on your car i would get some OEM replacements from o'realy's with life time warrenty, if they blow you just take them back and get new ones.
if thats not the route you want to go i would sell your springs and just get some full coilovers, for the price on the springs and struts combine you can get yourself some coilovers with damper adjustment...
Old 04-08-2010, 03:50 PM

Real 1 , I done some research in the past when i was looking into getting the s-techs. I saw were several people had problems with their axles after the installion of springs with a really aggressive drop. Im not tring to derail your choice im just letting you know what you could possiblly be in for. I was actually gonna buy the s-techs and run them on stock struts (i replaced them like a month ago). The only reason why i was doing that was simply because i cant afford 600 bucks for struts , lol ! But honestly in the end your gonna get what you pay for .

Last edited by ugafanz; 04-08-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:59 PM

^^^so true, my passenger axle will break every month or so but thats because i had busted motor mounts. i swapped out my stock mounts (what was left of them) with poly mounts and so far my axle is holding up fine and its been more than a month ago since i swapped out the axle and motor mounts...
Old 04-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Addicted to the Org

why would anybody wanna ride on dropped springs with stock struts

If people are that cheap about suspension, then don't do it at all. Stock struts are the cheapest struts that Nissan could put on there that would semi hold up. You have to take apart the springs from the struts in order to change springs out. Why put them back on just to have to take them back off shortly to change them out. Either set the springs aside until you get struts, or order at same time, or just stay away from it all together. I really don't understand these people who order parts then ask what people think of it
Sorry for the rant, just seeing these kinds of post bothers me.
RESEARCH BEFORE YOU BUY ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you people want a slammed max on a budget, then just get a civic. You have to pay to play
Old 04-09-2010, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by maximized98
why would anybody wanna ride on dropped springs with stock struts

If people are that cheap about suspension, then don't do it at all. Stock struts are the cheapest struts that Nissan could put on there that would semi hold up. You have to take apart the springs from the struts in order to change springs out. Why put them back on just to have to take them back off shortly to change them out. Either set the springs aside until you get struts, or order at same time, or just stay away from it all together. I really don't understand these people who order parts then ask what people think of it
Sorry for the rant, just seeing these kinds of post bothers me.
RESEARCH BEFORE YOU BUY ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you people want a slammed max on a budget, then just get a civic. You have to pay to play

First of all, if you dont like threads like this and dont want to help "others" out why waste your time and ours by posting a comment ?
Second- Some people on here actually are on a budget and cant at the time afford the more expensive struts. So by that we do what we can by cutting corners so to speak. Some of us on here dont have the luxury of dropping 600 or more on brand name struts. Just because its cool !
I dont think just cause i choose to lower my maxima a different way than you think i should grants it being called a civic ! When i signed up for this website i was looking for some insight on maximas . I quickly learned though most of the people on here are absoulutely useless when it comes to helping someone new out. Why be such a **** ? If you dont have an answer to someones question why bother ?

Last edited by ugafanz; 04-09-2010 at 02:58 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:22 PM

No i feel like puttin them on stock struts jus to prove that point! Lol!
Old 04-09-2010, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by REAL1
No i feel like puttin them on stock struts jus to prove that point! Lol!
Buying the performance struts will save you money in the long run when your stock struts blow out after 10k-30k miles.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by ugafanz
First of all, if you dont like threads like this and dont want to help "others" out why waste your time and ours by posting a comment ?
Second- Some people on here actually are on a budget and cant at the time afford the more expensive struts. So by that we do what we can by cutting corners so to speak. Some of us on here dont have the luxury of dropping 600 or more on brand name struts. Just because its cool !
I dont think just cause i choose to lower my maxima a different way than you think i should grants it being called a civic ! When i signed up for this website i was looking for some insight on maximas . I quickly learned though most of the people on here are absoulutely useless when it comes to helping someone new out. Why be such a **** ? If you dont have an answer to someones question why bother ?
It's not about being cool, it's about doing the job correctly. Yes people are on tight budgets, blah blah I have heard that excuse a million times. You have to pay to play. If you can't afford to spend money on a reputable suspension setup with consistent, repeatable positive results, then don't waste your time. Period. Moreover, don't waste our time (and server space..!) on these stupid threads that have been debated countless times.

Throw some quarters in a jar and save up or something. You will feel a lot more accomplished that way, trust me.

Oh, and S-techs are crap end of story. Horrible spring rates for the drop and difficult to pair with struts as a result. Those who think otherwise obviously don't know any better.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:14 PM

Probably the cheapest way to do it is buy the struts and cut/heat your stock springs rather than the other way around. It might ride like crap though.

Originally Posted by Fast1one
It's not about being cool, it's about doing the job correctly. Yes people are on tight budgets, blah blah I have heard that excuse a million times. You have to pay to play. If you can't afford to spend money on a reputable suspension setup with consistent, repeatable positive results, then don't waste your time. Period. Moreover, don't waste our time (and server space..!) on these stupid threads that have been debated countless times.

Throw some quarters in a jar and save up or something. You will feel a lot more accomplished that way, trust me.

Oh, and S-techs are crap end of story. Horrible spring rates for the drop and difficult to pair with struts as a result. Those who think otherwise obviously don't know any better.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Fast1one

Prime example of another maxima owner with tons of cash and who has never been broke , lmaoo ! My point is ... Yeah you and others may have spoke of this in the past but some people were not members at that time. And let me guess , your gonna tell me to search right ? Seriously who want to search through piles upon piles of people going back and forth on which is better (just like this thread)? Not me ! See in the real world adults find it alot easier to open their mouth and ask a question . Usually it gets a respectful answer , not the case here. Im not disputing the fact that better struts arent the better way to go, im just saying some folk have to make do with what they have. What is wrong with doing that ? There are so many other ways of getting your point across without be an ******* like maximized was ! And honestly IMO your no better than he is. Maybe im no better than he is for speaking my mind , but on the other hand i didnt come in here being an smartass right out of the gate !
Old 04-09-2010, 05:16 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Good god... If you dont have money to mod then how the hell are you going to do the maintenance on your 10+ year old car?

The ONLY budget strut spring package that is worth anything is the Tokico HP spring/strut kit. $430 on ebay...... How can HP struts, YES the cheap blue ones, work with lowering springs? Because Tokico specified the smallest drop and correct spring rates.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:23 PM

So what poor people cant have nice cars now ?????
Old 04-09-2010, 05:31 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

You dont go to the Dr. for advice and then go home and not follow it do you?

Topics like struts and springs have been beaten to death. We had a dedicated mods page with what works, specs, info, user reviews, and everything. If it was still around simple questions would not be asked. As more members join and ask the same questions, get answers, and not follow advice older member start giving up. Soon the wealth of knowledge is lost and your left with a bunch of broke idiots riding around an 1" off the ground with blown struts.

If that doesnt convince you then how about the safety aspect of incorrect suspension setups........
Old 04-09-2010, 05:34 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

So what poor people cant have nice cars now ?????
If a 4th gen on stechs/stock is your definition of nice then yes
Old 04-09-2010, 05:36 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Originally Posted by REAL1
What are your eibachs paired up with?
Konis
Old 04-09-2010, 05:54 PM

Im not going to debate on this all night but your really missing the point here. I hear your claim ..... Some suspension setups are PROVEN better than others , i agree fully ! All i am saying is why come off as a jerk if you dont have to be ?? There was no need for maximized's smart comments on the issue. But i guess thats how **** works around here !
Old 04-09-2010, 05:54 PM
Got Retrofit?

If you don't have money to modify your car the right way, you shouldn't be modifing your car period.

I didn't have the money to drop $500-$600 on struts alone so I waited. First I found Tokico springs that only have a 1.25" drop at most and I wouldn't even put those on stock struts so I waited and waited. Finally I found a deal locally and got a full set of Eibach springs already assembled on KYB AGX struts for $100.

Point of the story: If you don't have big bucks to blow on a proper suspension set up all at once, wait and either piece it together slowly or find a good deal and jump on it. Don't jump the gun and throw lowering springs on stock struts.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:16 PM
Addicted to the Org

Im not going to debate on this all night but your really missing the point here. I hear your claim ..... Some suspension setups are PROVEN better than others , i agree fully ! All i am saying is why come off as a jerk if you dont have to be ?? There was no need for maximized's smart comments on the issue. But i guess thats how **** works around here !
My comments were not meant to be taken the way you took them. It's called constructive critism. It doesn't make sense to put crappy springs on stock struts, just for the struts to bust wide open. Why not just do it right the first time? I don't have money sitting around, I had to save. I got my springs used, put them aside, then got struts and redid my suspension all at once. He decided to get crappy springs, and now has a choice to make. As for the Honda reference, many civics and such around here do the ghetto suspension. They either put lowering springs on stock struts or they cut cut stock springs and bouce around looking stupid.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:49 PM

I just don't tolerate people who cheap out on suspension, specifically. It's very important, especially for these boats that we drive. Skimping out is NOT the way to go. Cheap out on strut bars (to an extent), intakes, exhausts, etc. But spend your money where it counts: Struts, springs, tires, wheels and brakes. Take your TIME. You don't have to do everything at once. Save your money and purchase something that works WELL.

Your previous comment about me having lots of money is a stupid assumption. I am a full time student who worked very hard over the summer to get the car where I wanted it. Mom and Dad help with school costs, but the majority of my funding comes from grants and loans.

My point is that you can buy quality parts if you take your time, even if your monetary situation is less than ideal. If you can't, then don't mod your car. Spend it on much needed preventative maintenance. I wasn't trying to come out as a ****, but have some common sense dude.

Quick Reply: Tein s tech strut compatibility???