4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Underdrive Pulley on Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 07:27 AM

Underdrive Pulley on Ebay

Saw this on ebay at a good price...

Comments.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNDER...Q5fAccessories
Old 04-06-2010, 07:50 AM
Got Retrofit?

I'm not a fan of UDP's (I'd prefer a stock diameter lightened pulley) but it doesn't look bad and that price is really nice.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:52 AM

soooo not a good buy or what?

im having to buy a new one and i did think about these. not too sure about them though
Old 04-06-2010, 10:24 AM

I did a search and from what i learned get the OBX. Ebay has these too. The how-to descibes what other parts are needed. U need another belt and crank pulley o-ring.

Does anybody know where to get the belt?
Old 04-06-2010, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
I'm not a fan of UDP's (I'd prefer a stock diameter lightened pulley) but it doesn't look bad and that price is really nice.

I was lookin for a lightweight stock size pulley but OBX and Ralzco dont make any.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:30 AM
V^___^V

i wouldn't buy it
Old 04-07-2010, 06:32 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by cashoit
I did a search and from what i learned get the OBX. Ebay has these too. The how-to descibes what other parts are needed. U need another belt and crank pulley o-ring.

Does anybody know where to get the belt?

I wouldnt get one unless it was of high quality like the UR pulley. Going with the UR pulley just requires a new belts which they lists the sizes need on their site. There have been members here who have had issues with the cheaper pulleys breaking and etc.

I was lookin for a lightweight stock size pulley but OBX and Ralzco dont make any.
UR makes one.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:49 AM

If you have to replace it now then do it. If not, I was thinking about getting an Unorthodox Racing = UR. They pop up in the classifides for like $80-100 and sometimes include the belt.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:25 AM

Yo man UR pulley cost 600 for stock size!!!!!! thats crazy expensive!!!

U wd have thought i was buying a new engine or something. Dang!

The UR underdrive comes with timing ring bolts and sleeves for the o-ring to ride on. Is all that really necessary??

Bottom line is this thing more trouble than its worth??
Im not gonna spend 600 bucks for a pulley. OBX has them for 75 bucks. Any aftermarket pulley is made of high strength aluminum and it has a timing mark to fit onto crankshaft, its like looking at a Greddy or Ebay exhaust. They both work buy Greddy is the name brand. OBX is a name brand too right

Last edited by cashoit; 04-07-2010 at 07:34 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:46 AM

Ive always been iffy on under drive pulleys if i HAD to get one it would be brand name. Ive seen pics on here of people using off brand ones and having them break. no fun.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:14 AM

I can think of way better uses $75 can be used for (Quick example: ES Poly euro stuff).... Since you're buying a UDP, we can all assume that you already have Headers, Y-Pipe, High flow cat and B-Pipe right? Get what I'm saying?

An UDP is one of those last mods to do, same as a lightened flywheel, your car really isn't going to be much faster, but if you already have done all of the other major modding then and looking for that extra edge then get a UDP....

Last edited by aackshun; 04-07-2010 at 08:16 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:36 AM

Im lookin thru the FSM for the crank pulley removal procedure. Cant find the page. Anyone know which page? Nothing for pulleys or tensioner removal wtf unless im goin blind here
Old 04-07-2010, 05:50 PM

just had one put on my Max, got off E-bay. I don't care what anyone says you can tell the difference... All the other mods except for Y-pipe were for noise only, so I am not the guy who says everything works. I got the belts from Napa, I only needed the larger one because the tech said the the stock smaller one fit fine. Only a few hundred miles, but awesome so far, and the part was not cheesy and well done.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by tonyinfiniti
just had one put on my Max, got off E-bay. I don't care what anyone says you can tell the difference... All the other mods except for Y-pipe were for noise only, so I am not the guy who says everything works. I got the belts from Napa, I only needed the larger one because the tech said the the stock smaller one fit fine. Only a few hundred miles, but awesome so far, and the part was not cheesy and well done.
Could you please give the seller and price you paid so we can know where to get it?
Old 04-07-2010, 05:57 PM

Im lookin thru the FSM for the crank pulley removal procedure. Cant find the page. Anyone know which page? Nothing for pulleys or tensioner removal wtf unless im goin blind here

their both pretty straight forward when removing/installing. i picked up everything i needed to know about the crank pulley just by browsing here. you can also borrow a tool from autozone to remove it if you have to but you have to pay upfront for it and get your cash back when you take it back.

also so getting a UDP would be pointless even though you have to replace the pulley anyway? if it costs the same and will end up doing something for you in the long run after all the other mods, why not get it now instead of a stock replacement. either way your getting it fixed right or wrong
Old 04-07-2010, 06:05 PM

here's the thread if you havent seen it already

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...ley-broke.html
Old 04-07-2010, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by 9799maxiowner
here's the thread if you havent seen it already

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...ley-broke.html
I'm pretty sure it was the stock pulley that broke and hes looking into getting an underdrive..
Old 04-08-2010, 11:01 AM

Flava and Aack both have the UDP. Neither recommended it and them dudes are Jedi Master Maxi Modders!!!.

There are def more ppl against it than for it. I saw the price and i thinks the OBX FTW. UR looks about the same machining wise and made of the same material as OBX so i really cant justify paying 3x as much for it.

If i do decide to buy i have to get the o-ring and the belts.

There jus doesnt seem to be alot of veteran orgers who support it.

Last edited by cashoit; 04-08-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:36 PM

Flava and Aack both have the UDP. Neither recommended it and them dudes are Jedi Master Maxi Modders!!!.

There are def more ppl against it than for it. I saw the price and i thinks the OBX FTW. UR looks about the same machining wise and made of the same material as OBX so i really cant justify paying 3x as much for it.

Hah, don't get it twisted, man, I don't deserve to be in the same boat as Flava, I brought my car modded, I've only done little things to it to make it "My car" and not the previous owners.

Anywho.... I don't support it as an early modification, for $89 you can get those suspension support brackets, or hell $61 can get you some poly euro suspension brackets, all mods that will make MUCH more of a difference then just a UDP or Lightweight Pulley.

I wish I could drive around a maxima w/o a UDP, it's too hard to compare to any other engine but a VQ, because the VQ is a short stroking light motor that already revs pretty damn easy, so even w/o a UDP I bet this car is much easier to downshift in than... Miatas, Mustangs, S2Ks and other cars I've driven.

Last edited by aackshun; 04-08-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:52 PM

I've heard to steer clear of UDP's because most factory pulleys have a harmonic balancer built in and most lightened after market pulleys don't. What are your guys' thoughts on this? I've heard that without a harmonic balancer the crankshaft on the pulley side actually begins to resonate in a very bad way.

"Performance enthusiasts have been known to remove harmonic balancers, usually when the balancer is attached to the crank pulley, deciding that they aren't necessary and their mass reduces the performance of the engine. However, this is unproven and potentially very risky because the danger of damage to the engine from the vibrations the damper is intended to prevent is too high."
Old 04-08-2010, 01:41 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by aackshun
I can think of way better uses $75 can be used for (Quick example: ES Poly euro stuff).... Since you're buying a UDP, we can all assume that you already have Headers, Y-Pipe, High flow cat and B-Pipe right? Get what I'm saying?

An UDP is one of those last mods to do, same as a lightened flywheel, your car really isn't going to be much faster, but if you already have done all of the other major modding then and looking for that extra edge then get a UDP....
Just curious, you speak from experience or from what you have read and heard?
I can tell you that having the Lightened flywheel is something you definately notice. Revs climb much quicker, but fall just as quick as well. I didnt notice much usaing the UR UDP, but paired with a flywheel Im sure it helped.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:49 PM

i am really considering getting a UDP as i already have an aluminum flywheel. i just dont know whether to get the OBX or dish out more for the UR one.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:12 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
I'm pretty sure it was the stock pulley that broke and hes looking into getting an underdrive..
That was, and thats actually pretty common.

I didnt say I didnt recommended it, just that by itself i couldnt really notice much of a difference, paired with the Lightened flywheel however Im pretty sure it helped. If you held a UDP and an OEM pulley and felt the weight difference between the two then you know just by losing some of that weight it has to help a bit. For a NA vehicle looking to gain all it can I dont see why not. As you mod, you eventually get to a point to where costs of mods is more and the gains get less.
What I dont get is how some will bash these lower end companies on certain products like lets say the STS, and recommend a bigger name brand yet on something like this which is a bit more of a crucial item they feel it ok to cheap out on.
FWIW,
an old friend of mine Dubbya had his Motostorm pulley crap out on him and cause some good damage.
http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/3...ank-shaft.html
You get what you pay for.

Originally Posted by modenaf1
I've heard to steer clear of UDP's because most factory pulleys have a harmonic balancer built in and most lightened after market pulleys don't. What are your guys' thoughts on this? I've heard that without a harmonic balancer the crankshaft on the pulley side actually begins to resonate in a very bad way.

"Performance enthusiasts have been known to remove harmonic balancers, usually when the balancer is attached to the crank pulley, deciding that they aren't necessary and their mass reduces the performance of the engine. However, this is unproven and potentially very risky because the danger of damage to the engine from the vibrations the damper is intended to prevent is too high."
Our motors are internally balanced, they dont require a harmonic balancers. The OEM pulley does act as sort of harmonic dampner though due to the thin elastomer ring between the inner and outer portions of the pulley.

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
Just about every car manufacturer uses a thin rubber ring between two concentric pieces of a crankshaft pulley. The amount of damping can be varied by how thick the ring is.

The harmonic damper is for damping out torsional vibration. It has nothing to do with engine balance. Even a perfectly balanced engine will have torsional natural frequencies that are self-excited by engine rotation, and the longer crankshaft length of an I-6 will result in lower natural frequencies with higher amplitudes than a V6. There is a certain amount of torsional damping in the oil film in the main and rod bearings, but apparently not enough for the Beemers, hence the need for the damping provided by the rubber ring. Also, apparently it is not as critical for the VQ engine, since people seem to get by just fine without it.
Now Stephen Max is a true Jedi Master Maxi Modders
Old 04-10-2010, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
Just curious, you speak from experience or from what you have read and heard?
I can tell you that having the Lightened flywheel is something you definately notice. Revs climb much quicker, but fall just as quick as well. I didnt notice much usaing the UR UDP, but paired with a flywheel Im sure it helped.
Not on a Maxima no, guess the VQ can rev even quicker, which is kinda scary lol.

Flava said it right above already....

But from what I've learned on previ cars, UDP is just one of those last things to do, especially when there are mods to be done that can make a considerable change in your car's performance.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:35 AM
KH3 by popular demand

Get it if you want a small percentage of performance while NA and are running a stock stereo system, other than that there will be issues.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:43 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by maxgtr2000
Get it if you want a small percentage of performance while NA and are running a stock stereo system, other than that there will be issues.
I ran one for years with an aftermarket stereo pushing two amps with no Farad caps and never had a charging issue.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
I ran one for years with an aftermarket stereo pushing two amps with no Farad caps and never had a charging issue.
+1

Only issue I have are lights dimming from RPM dropping when riding the clutch w/o using the throttle.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:33 PM

Why don't they make a smaller diameter, lighter alternator pulley to go with the smaller, lighter, crank pulley? You would save even more weight and better yet, the alt. wouldn't be underdriven.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:23 AM

I went with the UR after my research on this forum said some of the other cheaper UDP's break.
So far so good. I've put about 500 miles on it. The car does feel lighter on the accelerator, and seems to speed up faster. When the car is in motion it feels smooth.
A mentionable negative, the car seems to vibrate more, and there are some rattles because of the new UDP. She feels angry and itching to go. This phenomenon only happens during idle.
If you go on the UR site, it will tell you the belts you will need. My mech installed the belts and found the PS belt to be too short, so maybe another 1/2" PS belt would be better.
3 other things worth mentioning. (1) I've read that this mod helps ppl with an Auto more than a Manual. (2) The harmonic balancing I've heard is a thin layer of rubber in the stock pulley which keeps it smoother. The aftermarket ones dont have it. (3) Remember to get the oil seal.