4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Random missfire...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 08:24 PM

Random missfire...

I am seriously considering purchasing a 96 SE from a friend. The car is in overall great shape, but has a misfire - mainly AFTER the car has warmed up, but not always. It is NOT throwing a CEL code.

Now, the only thing he has done since he got the car was replace the plugs, and it was doing this before that.

I did some brief reading and skimming, and from what I can tell, this is likely either one of the coils, or perhaps the TPS.

Again, as I mentioned, it is miss firing, usually after warming up, but not always. When this mis fire occurs, it is most noticable at idle, and while accelerating off the line - once the tach hits 3-4k, it smoothes out. When it is cold, and running, it is butter smooth, and runs good.

This is NOT going to be a project car, but a daily driver for a while, anyway... so if I get it, I have to make sure it's going to run right.

If this car falls through, I have a 94 Volvo 850 sourced that is in GREAT condition, also...

This is all to give me a semi-fuel-efficient car to drive and work with during my divorce, and for a short time afterward, until I can afford to trade it in for something a little newer...

Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated...
Old 04-12-2010, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by MaxWgn
I am seriously considering purchasing a 96 SE from a friend. The car is in overall great shape, but has a misfire - mainly AFTER the car has warmed up, but not always. It is NOT throwing a CEL code.

Now, the only thing he has done since he got the car was replace the plugs, and it was doing this before that.

I did some brief reading and skimming, and from what I can tell, this is likely either one of the coils, or perhaps the TPS.

Again, as I mentioned, it is miss firing, usually after warming up, but not always. When this mis fire occurs, it is most noticable at idle, and while accelerating off the line - once the tach hits 3-4k, it smoothes out. When it is cold, and running, it is butter smooth, and runs good.

This is NOT going to be a project car, but a daily driver for a while, anyway... so if I get it, I have to make sure it's going to run right.

If this car falls through, I have a 94 Volvo 850 sourced that is in GREAT condition, also...

This is all to give me a semi-fuel-efficient car to drive and work with during my divorce, and for a short time afterward, until I can afford to trade it in for something a little newer...

Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated...
Misfire sounds like bad coils or even CPS. If u have a multimeter then u can check per FSM or Haynes specs: At the worst its a injector. ALl of which can be fixed or dignosed urself dependin on how ambitious or mechanically inclined u are.

Honestly it sounds like coils. But check for vacumm leaks too.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:36 AM

Coils a good start

Probably coils, moreso leaning that way since spark plugs had 0 impact.

You can text/find the bad coil yourself (most likely), just check the forums for how-to's. If you are cash crunched, you probably find a scrapyard with a 4th gen and but 2 front and rear coils for the price of 1 new one at a dealer. I have no idea of eBay prices, but I'm sure they are lower than dealer too.

Let us know how the coil investigation goes. If that doesn't work, there could be any number of issues. How severe is the misfire, anyways?

Sorry about the divorce, hope it all works out.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:21 AM

+1 on coils. i had to swap a few when i did the plugs