4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Replaced Rotors and have grinding noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 02:37 AM

Replaced Rotors and have grinding noise

Hey everyone,

I replaced my rotors about a month ago and slowly a grinding noise started appearing. It got real bad and I took the wheels off and tightened the nut hoping that would fix it (maybe a wobbly rotor?). It helped a bit and the noise no longer happens when I make turns but at certain times when I turn the wheel I'll still hear it.. Any ideas? Am I being retarded and miss a torque specification or something I needed after I installed the new rotors?

Also I am hearing a separate grinding noise like a wire hitting a fan (only when the car is in motion). I see little scratches on my rotor like something is clipping it but I can't find any obstruction.

Any ideas? I hope I'm just missing something simple. I know my suspension is shot but I'm pretty sure it's something to do with the rotors or brake assembly...
Old 04-11-2010, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by PFCGlass
Hey everyone,

I replaced my rotors about a month ago and slowly a grinding noise started appearing. It got real bad and I took the wheels off and tightened the nut hoping that would fix it (maybe a wobbly rotor?). It helped a bit and the noise no longer happens when I make turns but at certain times when I turn the wheel I'll still hear it.. Any ideas? Am I being retarded and miss a torque specification or something I needed after I installed the new rotors?

Also I am hearing a separate grinding noise like a wire hitting a fan (only when the car is in motion). I see little scratches on my rotor like something is clipping it but I can't find any obstruction.

Any ideas? I hope I'm just missing something simple. I know my suspension is shot but I'm pretty sure it's something to do with the rotors or brake assembly...
I'm assuming you put all the right parts on there, so it could be a dust cover is rubbing against a rotor, a caliper isn't releasing, or you didn't bleed off all the pressure by taking off the brake booster cap when you changed them. Old brake lines can actually wear out as well and cause a one way valve scenario keeping pressure on the rotors.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:33 AM

I'm assuming you put all the right parts on there, so it could be a dust cover is rubbing against a rotor, a caliper isn't releasing, or you didn't bleed off all the pressure by taking off the brake booster cap when you changed them. Old brake lines can actually wear out as well and cause a one way valve scenario keeping pressure on the rotors.
I didn't check to see if a dust cover is rubbing up against it, I will check that today. As far as the caliper, I will admit that the 240k on my maxima may have directly resulted in bad brake lines, but the way the grinding noise feels is more like a "rotor turned at an angle slightly and rubbed against brake pads making a quick grinding noise" kind of noise... Again, I could be wrong. How can I check to see if a caliper is failing?
Old 04-11-2010, 11:53 AM

Were the rotors that were replaced the OEM rotors, ie. is this the 2nd set of rotors?
Old 04-11-2010, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by PFCGlass
I didn't check to see if a dust cover is rubbing up against it, I will check that today. As far as the caliper, I will admit that the 240k on my maxima may have directly resulted in bad brake lines, but the way the grinding noise feels is more like a "rotor turned at an angle slightly and rubbed against brake pads making a quick grinding noise" kind of noise... Again, I could be wrong. How can I check to see if a caliper is failing?
A good indicator is by looking at the old pads. I don't see why the rotor would sit crooked unless you got something behind one when you were putting it in, but I think that would cause a nasty vibration.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:06 PM

Were the rotors that were replaced the OEM rotors, ie. is this the 2nd set of rotors?
I believe so, yes. I got the car at 190k and I bought it from a car rental place and didn't see a replacement rotor on any of the receipts at the time.

A good indicator is by looking at the old pads. I don't see why the rotor would sit crooked unless you got something behind one when you were putting it in, but I think that would cause a nasty vibration.
The reason I replaced the old pads was because I spun out on the freeway and while I managed to straighten her out (going about 60, slipped on some oil that spilled while taking an exit), I went off the road on the passenger side and hit a curb pretty hard. I dented my lower oil pan and dislodged a brake (and obviously I had to get the wheel realigned). That dislodged brake got nasty grooves in it, and that's why I replaced. The driver's side brakes had no damage one to them at the time of replacement.

UPDATE: I took the max for a ride today. The "wire hitting a fan" noise ONLY happens when I press on the accelerator. When I coast it with the foot off the pedal, no grinding noise. Again, only happening n the driver's side.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:03 PM

Second Update: I looked at my rotor and it's becoming discolored along the inside of the rotor (where the brake touches the rotor), like the brake is riding the rotor... That would explain why it becomes more apparent when I accelerate.. Could this be caused by a bad bearing?
Old 04-11-2010, 06:43 PM

I have had problems with getting the brake pads to sit in the caliper properly. I have ended up filing the edges of the brake pad metal backing to get it to fit flat.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:25 PM

Update: After looking at the assembly again, I cant find any grooves or such on the rotor or pads. I'm pretty confident that it is a front wheel bearing. I am going to purchase one today and do an install tomorrow. Is there any DIY that I can be pointed to that has instructions for replacing the bearing? I tried motorvate but the website doesn't want to load anything past the home page...