4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Wider Wheels...Additional Width on Inside or Outside?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2001, 12:48 PM

Wider Wheels...Additional Width on Inside or Outside?

Ok, I have a question here. I just installed my Rear Sway Bar yesterday. I order to do this, I had to install a spacer for my E-brake Cable making it stick out more. Now, my stock 16" 5-spoke Wheel is only about an inch or so away from the e-brake cable.

Now, since my stock wheels are 6.5" wide, if I were to add an 8" wide wheel, would the additional 1.5" stick out more or would it be on the inside causing my back wheels to rub the e-brake cable?

I know it probably depends on the offset, but I don't understand what offset is. If someone could explain this to me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
-Nick
Old 12-13-2001, 09:33 AM

Re: Wider Wheels...Additional Width on Inside or Outside?

Originally posted by Nick97SE
Ok, I have a question here. I just installed my Rear Sway Bar yesterday. I order to do this, I had to install a spacer for my E-brake Cable making it stick out more. Now, my stock 16" 5-spoke Wheel is only about an inch or so away from the e-brake cable.

Now, since my stock wheels are 6.5" wide, if I were to add an 8" wide wheel, would the additional 1.5" stick out more or would it be on the inside causing my back wheels to rub the e-brake cable?

I know it probably depends on the offset, but I don't understand what offset is. If someone could explain this to me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
-Nick
Man Nick,

Got "no love" from you post, eh? Hopefully I can help. . .

OEM offset on your '97 is +40mm

It's best to keep your offset between +38mm - +42mm, although people have used a wider range of offsets than these.

How offset works: the higher offset value, the more recessed the wheel is into the wheelwell (toward the engine); the lower the offset value, the further the wheel protrudes from the wheelwell (away from the engine).

I don't have an answer on which direction (inside or outside) the increased width is handled, as I believe this will vary by manufacturer, however, one could assume that a wheel with a +38mm offset would be more likely to have a greater portion of the additional width accounted for outside of the centerline of the wheel than a +42mm offset wheel of the same width, which would be more "tucked in" to the wheelwell.

IMHO, the brake cable issue is minor: you won't likely have any problem, but if you do, something like that can always be modified in some way to accomodate - no biggie.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-13-2001, 12:16 PM

Thanks!

-Nick
Old 12-13-2001, 01:46 PM

Thanks!
-Nick

Actually according to Tirerack, the optimal offset for a 17x8 wheel is 35mm on a Maxima. I have that setup, and the wheels stick out a little further than stock, but not much. Gives the car a hunkered down look, which I like.

As for relocating the ebrake cable, I did not have to do this when I installed my Addco RSB on my 4th gen. Are you trying to install the Stillen RSB?
Old 12-13-2001, 06:39 PM

Yea...it's the Stillen RSB. In order to install the brackets that hold the bar on, I had to put a spacer on the E-brake cable. I figured that most wheels will stick out more...but I just wanted to make sure that I won't have problems. I guess I could easily relocate the cable if it rubbed.

Thanks,
-Nick
Old 12-14-2001, 09:56 AM
4 Maximas and counting

This should help with understanding offset
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/offset.htm

This should help understand how offset and width may apply in a given situation as far as rubbing goes
http://toy4two.home.mindspring.com/offset.html

Thanks!
-Nick