4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Cup Holder Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 07:04 PM

Cup Holder Question

Ok, so I have a 95 Maxima, and I already have the cupholder in the center console, but I need more than one. So, where the 2 squarish cup holders are, can I directly swap in a brown (my interior is brown) covered cup holder from a 97, 98, or 99 Maxima, or a 96,97,98,99 I30? I would most likely buy this off ebay bc my local junk yard sucks. But anyway, it just.... comes out and new one goes in? Please Help, as there is no other useful thread on this that covers this in detail.

Also WTF is this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-NI...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by cartman854; 05-06-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:46 PM
Administrator

Afraid not. You need the entire center console from a 97+ Max.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:51 PM

WTF is that?/// well what you have ther is a the J30 (not to be confused with the infinity J30) third gen maxima cup holder its 1989-1995 3g// 1995-1990 4g hapend to me when i got my oil retainer from nissan i just said "i need the front oil retainer for a 95 maxima" and they geave me one for a 3g j30 not the 4g a32
Old 05-22-2010, 08:42 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4G-riken
WTF is that?/// well what you have theris a the J30 (not to be confused with the infinity J30) third gen maxima cup holder its 1989-1995 3g// 1995-1990 4g hapend to me when i got my oil retainer from nissan i just said "i need the front oil retainer for a 95 maxima" and they geave me one for a 3g j30 not the 4g a32
WTH are you talking about?
Old 05-23-2010, 12:32 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Cartman, you can't use the 97-99 unless you get the whole console but I personally think the 97-99 has a crappy design in which the clips that hold the "cupholder" break allowing your drinks to fall.

Originally Posted by 4G-riken
WTF is that?/// well what you have ther is a the J30 (not to be confused with the infinity J30) third gen maxima cup holder its 1989-1995 3g// 1995-1990 4g hapend to me when i got my oil retainer from nissan i just said "i need the front oil retainer for a 95 maxima" and they geave me one for a 3g j30 not the 4g a32

1- its Infiniti
2- its not from a 92-94 Maxima (J30 Chassis)

3rd generation is 89-94 but 89-91 had no cup holders, rather some storage unit in its place which is below the radio, the 92-94 received a "cup holder" which sucks but still considered one

The cupholder shown in that ebay ad seems more like one from a 1st generation pathfinder armrest cupholder.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:18 AM

Yeah you must take the whole ceter console. I will be changing mine soon too cuz cant even fit two drinks there and my girl keeps complaining about no room.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
Cartman, you can't use the 97-99 unless you get the whole console but I personally think the 97-99 has a crappy design in which the clips that hold the "cupholder" break allowing your drinks to fall.
Maybe you're extremely rough? I have two Maximas, one of which for 5+ years, and have never broken the clips you speak of.

I love 'em. The 95-96 designs sucks, and is pretty much only good for coke cans.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:02 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Maybe you're extremely rough? I have two Maximas, one of which for 5+ years, and have never broken the clips you speak of.

I love 'em. The 95-96 designs sucks, and is pretty much only good for coke cans.
Well, reason I say this is becase I worked at the JY for about a year and I've been going there way before that and during the time I worked there I always had first dibs on ALL Maxima parts since I got to pull parts off them before cars would go into the yard to the public. I looked and looked and looked for a 97 console + cup holder and 20+ 97-99 and I never saw a good one. I purchased a 97 SE last winter and bam, it came with it broken too. I'm just going based on what I've noticed from personal experience.

In my 95-96 I can fit my cell phone, cans of pop, the largest cup from taco bell, mcdonalds, bk.. huge Horchata cups from Mexican places.. Not sure what kind of drinks you get lol You trying to fit a 2 liter in there or something?
Old 05-26-2010, 01:52 PM

Well, reason I say this is becase I worked at the JY for about a year and I've been going there way before that and during the time I worked there I always had first dibs on ALL Maxima parts since I got to pull parts off them before cars would go into the yard to the public. I looked and looked and looked for a 97 console + cup holder and 20+ 97-99 and I never saw a good one. I purchased a 97 SE last winter and bam, it came with it broken too. I'm just going based on what I've noticed from personal experience.

In my 95-96 I can fit my cell phone, cans of pop, the largest cup from taco bell, mcdonalds, bk.. huge Horchata cups from Mexican places.. Not sure what kind of drinks you get lol You trying to fit a 2 liter in there or something?

+1. Must agree with Columbian there. I was able to fit two Burger King cups there....King Size at that without falling. It may be a little slanted but it stays in place. All depends on your suspension
Old 05-26-2010, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Ahhhhh. I see.

Sure, you can fit one large cup from Taco Hell etc, but try fitting one in each cup holder! Impossible with the 95/96 style, doable with the 97-99 style from my experience.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:14 PM

My only real complaint with the 99 center/cupholder is that only one of the two holes can hold a 'real' drink, the other can only hold 'small fountain' or coke type cans... the front one can hold a super big gulp (if nothing is in the back one)... but with the 5MT I'm always hitting the cup...
Old 05-26-2010, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by SiathLinux
My only real complaint with the 99 center/cupholder is that only one of the two holes can hold a 'real' drink, the other can only hold 'small fountain' or coke type cans... the front one can hold a super big gulp (if nothing is in the back one)... but with the 5MT I'm always hitting the cup...
Huh? I work @ Sonic and the Max can hold two RT44 cups.... Well 3 since I have the Extra large cup holder under the arm rest.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:54 PM

I have to agree, the first thing I looked at doing was changing the console for the 97-99 design because the cupholder in my 96 was useless.
It will only hold two 12 oz. cans usefully and that's about it unless they are leaning all over and getting hit by my arm and slammed into by the shifter every time you go through the gears.

I just installed my TWM so that will take out the cup slamming but I still need the room for two travel mugs without hitting them with my arm when I shift.

The console I got is broken just like the others you noted, but I'll rig it so it will work the way it should.

I'm doing a complete stereo re-install to fix all the things that were done wrong by the previous owner and I will be installing the two new boots and armrest with extra padding from RedlineGoods.com as well to knock it all out at the same time.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:20 AM
Boosted Panda

1- its Infiniti
2- its not from a 92-94 Maxima (J30 Chassis)

3rd generation is 89-94 but 89-91 had no cup holders, rather some storage unit in its place which is below the radio, the 92-94 received a "cup holder" which sucks but still considered one

The cupholder shown in that ebay ad seems more like one from a 1st generation pathfinder armrest cupholder.

Mine broke recently, just out of the blue and the only thing I every really put in there is my coffee cup in the mornings.
POS!
Old 05-28-2010, 06:34 AM

I have the center console out of my 97. Its tan that i cld sell... If anyone is interested let me know. (arm rest is black leather though) I also have a black from a 96 that i put in in the interior swap not paying attention to the cup holders. So if anyone has a black 97-99 center console hit me up.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:59 AM

Yeah I need to get a 97-99 center console. My 96 sucks bad. Anything I put in there with my girl the cups would lean in the opposite direction just so it can fit. And one of them wouldnt even go all the way down. One of them came out when I did a u turn and it tipped over and spilled. IT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!! Sticky every where with the coffee.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:09 AM

My beef is when my girl puts earings inthe cup holder and i set a cherry limeade in the cup holder only to get a hole punched in the bottom of it by here earing. You want to talk about stickey???
Old 05-28-2010, 07:10 AM

97-99 4th gen best cupholders i have had in ANY car i have owned. Honstly, the entire cabin is useful. Comfortable for taller ppl. Gauges and controls easy to read and reach. Plenty of storage space. Hell, i have even been able to fit a chest dresser in the back seat lol.

My only problem with the max is that I wish the rear seats were completely fold down.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by cashoit
97-99 4th gen best cupholders i have had in ANY car i have owned. Honstly, the entire cabin is useful. Comfortable for taller ppl. Gauges and controls easy to read and reach. Plenty of storage space. Hell, i have even been able to fit a chest dresser in the back seat lol.

My only problem with the max is that I wish the rear seats were completely fold down.
I completely agree!
Old 05-28-2010, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by maxima 21
I completely agree!
Fold down seats would be amazing! While the pass-thru is nice for skis and stuff like that, I've had to borrow my GF's Mazda 3 (smaller) numerous times to move large, flat objects just because it has fold flat seats.

Also, I agree my cup holders (98') aren't very big, but I've just never bought a drink that I knew wouldn't fit (anything over 22oz prob). Narrow at the bottom people

And what are these clips everyone is talking about? My cup holders are just solid plastic molds...
Old 05-28-2010, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
Mine broke recently, just out of the blue and the only thing I every really put in there is my coffee cup in the mornings.
POS!
Too much boost It's like the ending to the Blue's Brothers....the car holds up just fine till the end, and when they get out of the car, it falls apart for no reason. haha

Originally Posted by cashoit

There's a mod for that, just in case you didn't know. The Ptatohed back seat fold up mod, as seen on VQpower.com

Originally Posted by 98Maximo

And what are these clips everyone is talking about? My cup holders are just solid plastic molds...
The clips are underneath the sides of the cupholder and help hold the entire assembly in place.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:44 AM

I feel you man. My girl be putting so many crap in there and never have space for anything. But dam punching a hole under now thats messed up lol. She be putting hair ties and bull crap. IT A CUP HOLDER NOT STUFF FOR YOUR CRAP!!!!
Thast what I tell her lol
Old 05-28-2010, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by El_BoriMax
I feel you man. My girl be putting so many crap in there and never have space for anything. But dam punching a hole under now thats messed up lol. She be putting hair ties and bull crap. IT A CUP HOLDER NOT STUFF FOR YOUR CRAP!!!!
Thast what I tell her lol
Ill pass that on to her lol
Old 05-28-2010, 11:05 AM

Fold down seats would be amazing! While the pass-thru is nice for skis and stuff like that, I've had to borrow my GF's Mazda 3 (smaller) numerous times to move large, flat objects just because it has fold flat seats.

Also, I agree my cup holders (98') aren't very big, but I've just never bought a drink that I knew wouldn't fit (anything over 22oz prob). Narrow at the bottom people

ya when i need to haul something big i got to use my girls ride too::::

Should i be embarassed by that?
Old 05-28-2010, 11:30 AM

Is the 99 i30 cup holder design different than the max? I have 2 covered cup holders. Open the cover and there are 2 different sized holders. I always jam things in there and no tabs have broken. As a matter of fact, I think that it is one piece with no breakable tabs.

Last edited by EsQueue; 05-28-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by EsQueue
Is the 99 i30 cup holder design different than the max? I have 2 covered cup holders. Open the cover and there are 2 different sized holders. I always jam things in there and no tabs have broken. As a matter of fact, I think that it is one piece with no breakable tabs.

That looks the exact same as my 98 Maxima.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:10 PM
Administrator

That looks the exact same as my 98 Maxima.
Yup, same as 97-99 cupholders..........as it should be.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by EsQueue

is this for sale by chance????
Old 05-28-2010, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by maxima 21
is this for sale by chance????
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...fvi%3D1&_rdc=1
Old 05-28-2010, 05:18 PM
Donating i30 Owner

I am gonna try to put the lid-ed cupholder in my 96 console. I think I can cut that shape out only a little smaller to allow the ,lip of the cup holder to sit aganist it. It wont be perfectly flush when closed but who cares. I get my arm, rest storage.

REASONS i like old style center console.

1. it slopes down more
2. cushion part is actually longer, so no elbow room battles with the Miss.HomerMAC
3. The armrest storage is bigger. i USED TO HAVE A 6CD CHANGER IN THERE.
3.5 Add the in armrest cup holder with room for other things behind it.
4. there are 3 button locations by lid handle which i use, seat warmer L, Trunk release, seat warmer
5. The lid has a chord pass through hole for the cars that used to come with phones built in. SO I can pass my phone charger throught there while connected to bluetooth.