4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

question about stock cat back

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 02:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

question about stock cat back

how much power am I losing running the stock cat back (2-5hp??) mine is kind of getting rough...I have a stillen Y-pipe and I've heard that the stock cat back it not that bad. However with the supercharger I believe I'm losing quiet alot (10-20hp???). Has anyone dynoed before and after. I just dont want a fart can exhuast. And If I'm replacing it and only gaining 2-5hp I would rather just stay with the stock sound.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:19 PM

Ive read that if your forced inductioned you should be able to see some (not sure what number with a up to a 3" exhaust
Old 05-11-2010, 06:31 AM
Boosted Panda

Running a full 3" setup has showed gains from 10hp+.
Simply upgrading to a 2.5 catback wont give you much more over your stock setup.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:21 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Get a b pipe, but keep the stock muffler or get an A33 muffler.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:43 PM

ok well then I think I'll stay close to stock because I'm afraid the 3" set up will hit in places now that I'm lowered and if a 2.5 isn't going to add much then there's no need to ungrade but I will need to replace mine at the muffler is not in the best condition. Plus I like the giant sucking sound from under the hood at WOT and really dont need to add attention to myself with a fat can.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:50 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...d-new-one.html
Old 05-12-2010, 06:04 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by buttonhook
ok well then I think I'll stay close to stock because I'm afraid the 3" set up will hit in places now that I'm lowered and if a 2.5 isn't going to add much then there's no need to ungrade but I will need to replace mine at the muffler is not in the best condition. Plus I like the giant sucking sound from under the hood at WOT and really dont need to add attention to myself with a fat can.
Im lowered and dont hit or scrape anything with my 3" setup, nor do I have a fart can.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:41 AM

I plan on replacing the stock b pipe with some thing better than stock but I think I'm going to keep a res. and semi stock muffler though. I would use a 2.5 or 3" if the price was about the same and it was quite as it is now.

I'm not worried about draging the 3" pipe on the ground or anything. I'm worried that it will rub the axle, sway bar or something. the stock catback hits and clangs on some bumps so I'm sure the 3" would be worse.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:33 AM
Boosted Panda

I plan on replacing the stock b pipe with some thing better than stock but I think I'm going to keep a res. and semi stock muffler though. I would use a 2.5 or 3" if the price was about the same and it was quite as it is now.

I'm not worried about draging the 3" pipe on the ground or anything. I'm worried that it will rub the axle, sway bar or something. the stock catback hits and clangs on some bumps so I'm sure the 3" would be worse.
Hmm, if your stock setup is banging around you might want to replace your hangars. On my WS1 catback it did that and I replaced the rubber hangars with new OEM pieces and that fixed it. The SP1 I ran didnt ever bang around either. My current 3" setup doesnt bang anything either. It was custom made and is a tight fit but it fits nicely.

Last edited by Flava_24/7; 05-12-2010 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
Hmm, if your stock setup is banging around you might want to replace your hangars. On my WS1 catback it did that and I replaced the rubber hangars with new OEM pieces and that fixed it. The SP1 I ran didnt ever bang around either. My current 3" setup doesnt bang anythign either. It was custome made and is a tight fit but it fits nicely.
I just replaced them with new ones. That's how I know I'm going to need a new set up muffler is starting to rust through. I had 2 broken ones. I even hose clamped some of them next to the muffler where I was seeing the rubing. It's not as bad now but it still does bang sometimes on pot holes and such. I would be ok with a 2.5" or 3" set up if I knew it wouldn't bang around and sound bad. I'm all for making things work better. A custom fit set up would be really nice but no one I know of around here does mandrel bending so it would have crimps and crap in it....which I dont want I have that now. If someone in the knoxville area knows any one let me know. IF knew where they would bend 3" pipe I would have my boost tubes done as well. Also my STILLEN sway bar tags my rear axel every now and again too I've tried to adjust it but it still hits

Last edited by buttonhook; 05-12-2010 at 07:52 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:50 AM

I wd go to a high flow muffler first and see how that feels. I had a supertubro and it had lots of flow. With HP numbers like u guys have, its like u running with a V8 lol.

Flava is right tho, u wont see as much gains with only the catback, at the very least u need 2.5 inch full exhaust.

IMO, any 2 inch stock pipe is too small for good flow if u FI. Catback wd help. there wd jus be more gains with 2.5 full exhaust cuz u need more flow.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:53 AM

Yo button,

No one arounds you will build custom exhaust. Where u live man. Custom Lou's exhaust will do it. I think they nationwide.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:34 AM
Boosted Panda

I just replaced them with new ones. That's how I know I'm going to need a new set up muffler is starting to rust through. I had 2 broken ones. I even hose clamped some of them next to the muffler where I was seeing the rubing. It's not as bad now but it still does bang sometimes on pot holes and such. I would be ok with a 2.5" or 3" set up if I knew it wouldn't bang around and sound bad. I'm all for making things work better. A custom fit set up would be really nice but no one I know of around here does mandrel bending so it would have crimps and crap in it....which I dont want I have that now. If someone in the knoxville area knows any one let me know. IF knew where they would bend 3" pipe I would have my boost tubes done as well. Also my STILLEN sway bar tags my rear axel every now and again too I've tried to adjust it but it still hits
Dude, seriously?
You can order prebent mandrel piping off the web, and ebay.
Many places sell ehaust build kits in which you simlpy have a shop cut, and weld to fit.
All my piping for my intercooler setup was bought off ebay and I just cut them as I needed and use couplers to hold it all together.... just as many others here have done.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by cashoit
Yo button,

No one arounds you will build custom exhaust. Where u live man. Custom Lou's exhaust will do it. I think they nationwide.
I dont think Ive ever heard of them.......I know I've never seen them.....Have you ever been to the knoxville area not really the most choices when it comes to great custom automotive shops. there are shops that build custom exhuasts but none that I know of that do mandrel bending everybody does crimp and crush

Last edited by buttonhook; 05-12-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:20 PM

Dude, seriously?
You can order prebent mandrel piping off the web, and ebay.
Many places sell ehaust build kits in which you simlpy have a shop cut, and weld to fit.
All my piping for my intercooler setup was bought off ebay and I just cut them as I needed and use couplers to hold it all together.... just as many others here have done.
I have the intercooler pipes look at my sig. I was talking about making a custom bent "1 piece" 3" pipe. instead of using couplers. And I would really want either a custom made exhaust that someone would personally fit and warrrenty or a set that is prebent for my car from the factory. I dont really want to rig it up

Last edited by buttonhook; 05-12-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:52 PM
Boosted Panda

I have the intercooler pipes look at my sig. I was talking about making a custom bent "1 piece" 3" pipe. instead of using couplers. And I would really want either a custom made exhaust that someone would personally fit and warrrenty or a set that is prebent for my car from the factory. I dont really want to rig it up
Thats what I was refrencing to. You basicly buy the pieces and they cut them to fit. Not all shops will have a mandrel bender but they have no problem cutting prebent piping to fit a specific application. Its not a "rigged up" setup. When I was getting quotes for my setup, shops that would do their own bending (they still weld up the bent sections) were wanting over 1k for a custom made exhaust. By buying my prebent pieces I got it done for around 650.00 which inlcudes the cost of having it welded up.
Most shops could even add flanges throughout the setup to mimic the stock setup, but this would add to the cost. Many who have custom exhausts simply just have it all welded up as one piece, cheaper, faster, and no chance for exhaust leaks.
Even for the IC piping, all you need to do is buy the pieces and have a shop weld them up how you want, this can be done on or off the car.

BTW,
I dont see any IC piping in your sig, just the charge pipe.

Last edited by Flava_24/7; 05-12-2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:08 PM

Thats what I was refrencing to. You basicly buy the pieces and they cut them to fit. Not all shops will have a mandrel bender but they have no problem cutting prebent piping to fit a specific application. Its not a "rigged up" setup. When I was getting quotes for my setup, shops that would do their own bending (they still weld up the bent sections) were wanting over 1k for a custom made exhaust. By buying my prebent pieces I got it done for around 650.00 which inlcudes the cost of having it welded up.
Most shops could even add flanges throughout the setup to mimic the stock setup, but this would add to the cost. Many who have custom exhausts simply just have it all welded up as one piece, cheaper, faster, and no chance for exhaust leaks.
Even for the IC piping, all you need to do is buy the pieces and have a shop weld them up how you want, this can be done on or off the car.

BTW,
I dont see any IC piping in your sig, just the charge pipe.
Sorry no IC (yet) just boost tube. I might have to check into that.