4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

time for new suspension...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 06:32 PM

time for new suspension...

My suspension is finally dead at 127k miles with the original setup; rear driver side shock broke and I've got a few questions.

1. Can I replace the shocks with KYB GR2s or Tokico Blues and keep the original springs, or is that going to create problems for me later on? I'd rather just keep the originals for now to save some money, but if it'll come back to bite me in the future (OEMs give out or the combination ruins the new shocks), then I'll replace the springs now too.

2. I've had my eye on the KYB GR2s for a while now, but lately I've heard great things about the Tokico Blues. All opinions are welcome, even beyond those two. Doing about 100 miles/day now, but could cut that down to 100 miles/month depending on work locations. Which will give me the best ride ( closest to the SE)? Anything is better than the blown ride I've had for a couple years now.

3. I'm doing the work with a friend of mine who's done this to a few other cars, including his maxima. Should I be replacing the mounts and dust boots too? Looks like they're fine, but I won't know until I get in there and check it out up close. It'll suck to get in there and need more parts that I don't have on hand, and the group deal from importcarparts.com seems to have everything I need for a good price.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:55 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Closest to stock ride would be the blues. The gr2s are harsh as hell stay away. The HPs and stock springs will feel like a new car. Im sure youll need at least boots but youll have to inspect everything to know for sure.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:09 PM

I just replaced my set up at 121k and got the KYB G2's but decided to replace the springs at the same time since it only makes sense, if you are already in their, do it right.
I put on some Eibach ProKit springs, I know opinions may vary but I wanted a decent ride and to also lower the center of gravity and take out some of the body roll.

The ride is overall, very good, and only hits a little harder than stock on the harder bumps. The G2's do a good job at damping and this is a good setup for someone wanting to keep a compliant ride while providing improved handling and lower cost than some of the other choices.

The only thing I noticed is a little bit of understeer still and some light bobbing while cornering which I attribute to the lack of a rear bar, which I just ordered, and that will hopefully fix the problem. I used urethane on the end link bushings and will be replacing the center bushings soon on the front bar to make it work it's best but I don't plan on replacing the bar itself.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:48 PM
Sold

1) yes. And what sutter said.
2) no question there that I can see. but for the record... kyb is a VERY temp. dependant shock. At least the KYB AXG's are. Not sure about the GR2's as I have never ridden them.

3) might as well. Call it cheap insurance. While your in there, replace the sway bar bushings on the front and the end link bushing as well. Your rubber set is probably toast by now. Energy Suspension is the brand name.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:49 AM

Rrebuit Suspension

I am in a similar situation with 97 Infiniti I30. I want to replace as much of suspension as possible at once but still want to do it on the cheap.

I bought 4 new KYB GR2's off ebay for $150

New suspension parts also

2 Lower Control Arm (Left and Right side) complete 1-CB30429 and 1-CB30428 includes bushings and ball joint.

2 Outer Tie Rod ends 2-ES3438, 2 Inner Tie Rod Ends 2-EV352 and 2 Sway Bar Link 2-K90126

for $119 shipped

I got 2 MEVOTECH MP903911 rear Strut Mounts for $15 plus shipping
I got 2 ACDELCO 501208 front Strut Mount for $37 plus shipping from Rock Auto

So I still need to get dust boots but unsure which brand to get
Old 05-18-2010, 11:14 AM
Got Retrofit?

Go with the Tokico Blues and stock springs. You'll be happy.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:29 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOKIC...item2eabd24527

well cant beat that as far as price I think
Old 05-19-2010, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by DimitroffVodka
I am in a similar situation with 97 Infiniti I30. I want to replace as much of suspension as possible at once but still want to do it on the cheap.

I bought 4 new KYB GR2's off ebay for $150

New suspension parts also

2 Lower Control Arm (Left and Right side) complete 1-CB30429 and 1-CB30428 includes bushings and ball joint.

2 Outer Tie Rod ends 2-ES3438, 2 Inner Tie Rod Ends 2-EV352 and 2 Sway Bar Link 2-K90126

for $119 shipped

I got 2 MEVOTECH MP903911 rear Strut Mounts for $15 plus shipping
I got 2 ACDELCO 501208 front Strut Mount for $37 plus shipping from Rock Auto

So I still need to get dust boots but unsure which brand to get
I am also looking for new struts and what not. The ones you have given us a link for are most definitely not KYB. I was also looking at them and sent an email to the seller. here is the response I got:
Dear Customer,

The parts are made in China. Here is a little something about our brand and its quality.

SenSen is the brand of shocks/struts that we carry. SenSen has been around since 1985. Their background has traditionally been supplying the racing industry with struts and shocks. This requires a high quality product with tight tolerances. In the past two years, SenSen has elected to bring to the marketplace a shock/strut line targeted at the mainstream marketplace. This product is built with high quality and tight tolerances like those of their traditional business. I would encourage you to give us a try. You will not be disappointed.

I sure hope you're not disappointed
Old 05-19-2010, 02:36 AM

i deffinetly need new rear shocks my fronts still good they replaced last year all around but rears already went out!

while im at it i wanna go ahead and drop it maybe a inch or inch and a half.

what are some good shocks and springs to go with for a sporty feeling ride daily?
Old 05-19-2010, 05:55 AM

If u gonna go Tokicho blues then get the entire setup. Both KYB and Tokicho are NOT good agressive drops (2+ inches) and work best with stock springs. H&R and maxspeed make good lowerring springs. KYBs will suck in the winter as they are very temperature dependent. Tokicho are direct OEM replacements and are good. PM flava or maybe he will chime in, he has a bunch of setups.

Sutter will say Konis FTW (im surprised he hasnt mentioned them yet ha!) but they require modification for installation.

Honestly coilovers FTW but they are at least 500 bucks more expensive. Gotta pay to play.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by stamar
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOKIC...item2eabd24527

well cant beat that as far as price I think
With the total price (price + S/H) you'll save $20 buying the HPK245 from this website:

http://www.erzperformance.com/product_p/tokicohp-43.htm

Originally Posted by TravisCadello
i deffinetly need new rear shocks my fronts still good they replaced last year all around but rears already went out!

while im at it i wanna go ahead and drop it maybe a inch or inch and a half.

what are some good shocks and springs to go with for a sporty feeling ride daily?
The tokico blue struts will fit in the OEM springs but if you want to lower the car go with the HPK245 kit. The HPK245 kit is tokico blues with lowering springs. The springs will lower the front 1.5" and the rear 1".
I installed them last February with new moog strut mounts and OEM boots. With the low price I got them for I'm quite satisfied with the smooth ride. As with all other cars that get lowered some of the bumps got a little harsher.

Last edited by jholley; 05-19-2010 at 07:12 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:48 AM

+1

Jus understand with ANY lowered car, some of the bumbs are going hit a lil harder. Jus part of the game.

yo holley,

I think with the maxspeeds its a lil softer.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by jholley
With the total price (price + S/H) you'll save $20 buying the HPK245 from this website:

http://www.erzperformance.com/product_p/tokicohp-43.htm

The tokico blue struts will fit in the OEM springs but if you want to lower the car go with the HPK245 kit. The HPK245 kit is tokico blues with lowering springs. The springs will lower the front 1.5" and the rear 1".
I installed them last February with new moog strut mounts and OEM boots. With the low price I got them for I'm quite satisfied with the smooth ride. As with all other cars that get lowered some of the bumps got a little harsher.
thank you

i notice the illumina set is 622 free shipping.

so as far as i can tell.... thats a better deal even.

Im not sure what tokico springs are. they are not for sale by themselves are they about the same as eibach springs?
Old 05-19-2010, 10:05 AM

tokico makes makes springs/shocks as well as struts. not sure if they are sold alone. But i know u can get them as part of a package with the struts.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by stamar
thank you

i notice the illumina set is 622 free shipping.

so as far as i can tell.... thats a better deal even.

Im not sure what tokico springs are. they are not for sale by themselves are they about the same as eibach springs?
Those red springs come with the tokico blue struts in the HPK245 kit. I've only used OE springs and those red tokico springs so I can't speak for the eibach springs. I only pass on what I've experienced. One of the members who posted earlier will probably pass on what they've read about those eibach springs.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:34 AM

This is all great info, thanks guys. Sounds like I can go with Tokico blues and not have to swap out my springs. But for another ~$250 I could get Eibachs and lower it while I'm in there. Tough call, not sure it's worth it or not.

As for other parts, I'll replace the dust boots while I'm at it. Mounts seem OK so I can probably skip those. I have no sway bars so bushings are not needed there. Anything else I should order as it's probably shot by now?
Old 05-19-2010, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by laba

As for other parts, I'll replace the dust boots while I'm at it. Mounts seem OK so I can probably skip those. I have no sway bars so bushings are not needed there. Anything else I should order as it's probably shot by now?
You actually do have a swaybar AKA stabilizer bar, and its pretty routine to replace those parts (bushings) so get em checked out just to stay safe.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by MoMurderah
You actually do have a swaybar AKA stabilizer bar, and its pretty routine to replace those parts (bushings) so get em checked out just to stay safe.
So I'll need the Front End Control Arm Bushing Set and the Motor Subframe Bushing Set then? Good to know. I'm ordering from here: http://www.importcarpartsplus.com/ma...ension.htm#STB
Old 05-19-2010, 12:40 PM

that site seems pretty high
Old 05-22-2010, 04:42 PM

I got those Sensen shocks and struts today. Seem decent enough. I will post up a review once I install them
Old 05-27-2010, 01:19 AM

any update?
Old 11-30-2011, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by DimitroffVodka
I got those Sensen shocks and struts today. Seem decent enough. I will post up a review once I install them

Sorry to bump this old thread back up. I been looking around for some shocks and I saw the SenSen shocks on ebay for $150 for all 4. Haven't seen many people with them but they swear their products are quality products. You never gave an update after install. How are they holding still?
Old 12-01-2011, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by xspanishxkidx
Sorry to bump this old thread back up. I been looking around for some shocks and I saw the SenSen shocks on ebay for $150 for all 4. Haven't seen many people with them but they swear their products are quality products. You never gave an update after install. How are they holding still?

Should have SEARCHED. there is a thread about Sensen and ppl sd they were good. Seems Sensen is a japanese company and good quality.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by cashoit
Should have SEARCHED. there is a thread about Sensen and ppl sd they were good. Seems Sensen is a japanese company and good quality.
I did. I looked around but didn't seem to find a thread where they update how they have been running. I just want to know reliability wise. Everyone who has claimed to update with more info never has. Btw I see your from Worcester. Have I seen you around? I usually drive my 5th gen.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:24 PM

salvage yard lol