4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

95 maxima needs help

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 01:31 AM

95 maxima needs help

i need some help...i cant figure out what the problem and i have been trying to solve this issue for awhile now. i have a 95 nissan maxima se 5 speed.. i just bought the car a week ago.. it had a blown head gasket and a cracked radiator...it also had a p0305 code which is misfire in the 5th cylinder... it had a low compression running about 70 psi... also the right side of the head all had low compression...one more problem i was noticing was that it was eating a sh*t load of gas..so i took the head to the moachine shot 0and had them resurface the head...i changed the head gasket and the all the seals... so i figure all the problems was taken care of...i compression test the motor in all 6 cylinders and everything is running 185 psi...so i figure that the motor will run fine and everthing was done..so i started the car and it starts up but it misfires, bogs out at about 2500-3500 rpm, and dies down...no check engine light...no pending codes...it ate a 1/4 tank of gas within 5minutes and all the gas comes out the tail pipe... when i was holding the pedal down, gas was coming out the tail pipe with white smoke and the gas came spraying out the tail pipe about 16ft back and about 26 in wide...i double check timing, vaccum, hoses, sensors, etc...i cant seem to find the problems...any ideas on what the problem could be?? your help is greatly appreciated...

thank you,
turbok2x
Old 05-28-2010, 06:27 AM

well obviously its not firing correctly. At some point the engine overheated and something else warped in the engine besides head gasket. If u got the time and knowledge then u can try to trouble shoot. Prolly one of the valves gone bad. WHo knows.

My advice, cut your losses and swap in an engine from 95-96. 97-98 are doable but slightly different. 99 is the most different and therefor most difficult to swap.

SEARCH the org and get info before u make decision.

Honestly had u asked before, I wd have told u to swap in the engine from the jump. Coupla ppl have had blown head gasket and its always jus the beginning of more problems.

I see u in Hawaii so finding a new engine might be hard.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:47 AM
Got Retrofit?

Definitely drop in a new motor.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:24 AM

no valve is stuck...local machine shop checked out the whole head...
Old 05-28-2010, 11:25 AM

i dont want to drop a new motor in... i want to figure out what the problem is...motor only has 109k miles
Old 05-28-2010, 05:04 PM

Is your car idling rough?? Difficult to start?? If so , check your injectors. One or more may be stuck open which is just pouring in gas.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Trini Boom
Is your car idling rough?? Difficult to start?? If so , check your injectors. One or more may be stuck open which is just pouring in gas.
car is idling like its missfiring and it is very difficult to start. and when it starts and i gas it, iit only goes up to about 2500-3500 then it dies down til i let off the gas then idles like it misfires at idle again...
Old 05-30-2010, 09:30 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Originally Posted by turbok2x
car is idling like its missfiring and it is very difficult to start. and when it starts and i gas it, iit only goes up to about 2500-3500 then it dies down til i let off the gas then idles like it misfires at idle again...
Sounds kind of like a MAF problem but I dont know about the fuel spraying exhaust... sounds kinda dangerous lol
Old 05-30-2010, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
Sounds kind of like a MAF problem but I dont know about the fuel spraying exhaust... sounds kinda dangerous lol

This is very dangerous yes. One thing I forgot to ask, when you rev your engine up or when it is idling, is your check engine light flashing or is it solid on???
Old 05-31-2010, 12:09 AM

i was thinking that too but no codes...
Old 05-31-2010, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Trini Boom
This is very dangerous yes. One thing I forgot to ask, when you rev your engine up or when it is idling, is your check engine light flashing or is it solid on???
no check engine light on nor does it flash
Old 05-31-2010, 03:49 PM

My cousin's Maxima doesnt have a CEL either but I scanned hers and it had 3 codes. Have you tried doing an OBD2 reading anyway?
Old 05-31-2010, 06:19 PM

My cousin's Maxima doesnt have a CEL either but I scanned hers and it had 3 codes. Have you tried doing an OBD2 reading anyway?
yes i have i a matco scanner and still no codes and no pending codes
Old 06-01-2010, 11:09 AM

Hmm, I really don't know what could be wrong. Have you gone over your work to make sure every harness, hose, and component is installed where it belongs and how it belongs?
Old 06-01-2010, 11:49 AM

yes i gone over that and tried swapping out mafs, cam n crank sensors, ecu..
Old 06-01-2010, 02:15 PM

Sounds like your gunna need to just start over with a new motor
Old 06-01-2010, 02:42 PM

I refuse to give up on this one. I would suggest taking out all the coils and make sure that they do spark. Check the condition of those spark plugs for gas, oil, gap spacing etc.. and report back. If that looks good, you will need to do the same for the injectors as in removing them and making sure that they spray and not stuck open letting in a lot of gas.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:02 PM

oh this is your fuel injector

obviosuly

nothing can force 1/4 tank through a fuel injector in 5 minutes if its not shot.

pull the whole rail of start it and itll shoot into the air like a squirt gun.

This long distance stuff is hard but I have confidence in that. Nothing can force fuel through a fuel injector like that.

totally i had a tbi injector do this on an 89 dodge van i had. I havent actually take a maxima fuel injector out but the o ring can be eaten away by fuel injector cleaner and it lets out tons of fuel. just this little rubber ring

Last edited by stamar; 06-01-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:50 AM

ok heres what happend. injectors got stuck open so i found a extra set of injectors and changed it and it stop smoking... so it was good but it was still missfiring...so i was like wtf...looking thru everything i was getting a p0300 random misfire code and so i swap it out and changes it with 2 other mafs and i still was getting the code...so i was thinking why is it still misfiring...so after along while, i figured it out...between the mafs and the throttle body, there is a black piece that the vaccum hoses hooks up to the front valve cover, the iacv, and a vaccum line. it also hooks up to another black piece that goes nowhere. its just like a plug. so i put that on and it stop misfiring. so all my issues was resolved. thanks for the help guys.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:32 AM

yes i gone over that and tried swapping out mafs, cam n crank sensors, ecu..
I think u have ruled out all electronics. Only the MAF, cam or (2) crank sensors, ECU, PCM would cause those type of sputtering issues. Its somethin mechanical.

How does the engine sound? It should be relatively quiet with slight valve noise. If u hearing loud valve tick, then those clearances are off.

THe puzzling part here is that supposedly ur compression rates are in spec (I dont know the exact numbers offhand). Usually that means the cylinders or valves havent warped from being overheated. but obviously somethin happpened
Old 06-02-2010, 04:34 AM

nice work turbo
Old 06-02-2010, 01:20 PM

ok heres what happend. injectors got stuck open so i found a extra set of injectors and changed it and it stop smoking... so it was good but it was still missfiring...so i was like wtf...looking thru everything i was getting a p0300 random misfire code and so i swap it out and changes it with 2 other mafs and i still was getting the code...so i was thinking why is it still misfiring...so after along while, i figured it out...between the mafs and the throttle body, there is a black piece that the vaccum hoses hooks up to the front valve cover, the iacv, and a vaccum line. it also hooks up to another black piece that goes nowhere. its just like a plug. so i put that on and it stop misfiring. so all my issues was resolved. thanks for the help guys.
Nice, do you have pics of this black thing?
Old 06-02-2010, 11:43 PM

Nice, do you have pics of this black thing?
i will post it up in the morning.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:48 AM

awesome
Old 06-03-2010, 01:16 AM

i must be lucky as hell cause my 202,000 95 maxy runs great. needs a uim cleanout and an oil change. other than that she runs great!!! good luck with your car man, 1 thing at a time.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:10 PM

You see...keep fighting until the issue is fixed. That's why I didn't give in as I know the only way you were spraying out gas was through stuck Fuel Injectors. I am glad you got it resolved. Another win for the .org
Old 06-06-2010, 04:47 PM

this is the plastic piece.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:30 PM

damn you've got alot of dirt in there....
Old 06-06-2010, 09:39 PM

^^seriously. carwash?
hahahaha
Old 06-06-2010, 11:24 PM

yup...very dirty..i just bought the car when it had problems with it so i had to fix it before cleaning it...now to start cleaning all the dirt off then the mods begins...