4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Aftermarket Headers Bolted onto Warpspeed Y pip

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 01:33 PM

Aftermarket Headers Bolted onto Warpspeed Y pip

I have a 98 SE with a Warpspeed Y pipe and I would like to add some aftermarket headers. Will it be possible to bolt on these aftermarket headers onto my Warpspeed Y pipe?

Old 06-04-2010, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by mpvibes
I have a 98 SE with a Warpspeed Y pipe and I would like to add some aftermarket headers. Will it be possible to bolt on these aftermarket headers onto my Warpspeed Y pipe?

I'm sure that there are shorty headers that will fit. The real question is do shorty headers even show enough of a gain to offset it cost and labor to replace the rear header?
Old 06-04-2010, 04:31 PM

What year and emission spec is your car?

afaik, the biggest gains from a header come from removing the pre-cat in the stock manifold. I think only cali spec 99s have a pre-cat in the front manifold.

There is no debating the fact that on the cars with the pre-cat in the front manifold, headers make a huge difference. But there has been discussion and debate as to whether the 95-98 fed spec cars gain much from headers over the stock cat-less manifolds.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:37 PM

I have often wondered if ebay headers will fit my WS Y. The only reason I would do headers tho is if you are going to SC or TC ur 3.0
Old 06-05-2010, 10:30 AM

Its a 98 SE. It was before Nissan switched ownership, which was in the middle of 99' I believe. If you have heard the Nissans that were made prior to switching ownership were overall well built cars, which meant that they lasted longer and drove great with less problems. Also, I have a friend who has a mechanic shop, he will charge me little or nothing to install it. The cost of labor is not a problem.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by mpvibes
Its a 98 SE. It was before Nissan switched ownership, which was in the middle of 99' I believe. If you have heard the Nissans that were made prior to switching ownership were overall well built cars, which meant that they lasted longer and drove great with less problems. Also, I have a friend who has a mechanic shop, he will charge me little or nothing to install it. The cost of labor is not a problem.
Ownership has nothing to do with it. They implemented a lot of "features" in the 99 Maxima that proved to be unreliable. The immobilizer chip in the key, the different coil packs, and the additional emissions equipment are the three biggest culprits.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:01 PM
Whatchyou say?

Originally Posted by nalc
What year and emission spec is your car?

afaik, the biggest gains from a header come from removing the pre-cat in the stock manifold. I think only cali spec 99s have a pre-cat in the front manifold.

There is no debating the fact that on the cars with the pre-cat in the front manifold, headers make a huge difference. But there has been discussion and debate as to whether the 95-98 fed spec cars gain much from headers over the stock cat-less manifolds.
Originally Posted by nalc
Ownership has nothing to do with it. They implemented a lot of "features" in the 99 Maxima that proved to be unreliable. The immobilizer chip in the key, the different coil packs, and the additional emissions equipment are the three biggest culprits.

Nalc brings up very good points here! On the header issue, I agree it is a lot of work for a very questionalbe gain. You need to pull the engine to be able to get the rear manifold off, unless you have magic hands and tools that is. If you are doing it yourself and you enjoy work, go for it. If you're going to pay for it do be done, think twice. Those headers are short, the stock manifolds sit a bit lower / longer than those, but if they (whoever you got them from - ebay???? ) say they'll fit, then they must.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:10 AM

I remember reading an old thread about aftermarket headers. Some of the players in the thread were some real veteran ORG members who were real HP crazy. THink Flava was apart of the thread. the main theme for the thread was aftermarket headers WILL make more HP gains than even the Y-pipe. If the aftermarket headers help to promote fast laminar flow then you will get better performance. But I remember reading that the problem with the headers is that they are NOT an easy install and the Budget headers were too expensive. the arguement is that its too difficult/expensive for minimal power gains.