4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Hard Shifting and OverDrive Light Flashing!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 09:06 PM

Hard Shifting and OverDrive Light Flashing!

Hi everyone, i have a 1998 max thats been de-k swapped and i used to feel a hard shift from 1st gear to second gear(automatic transmission) and as time went along it gotten worse and would occur with every gear change
Today i replaced the transmission with a new one and i still have this hard shifting on every gear
The overdrive light flashes a total of 16 times

What could this possibly be?
Im not sure what to look for next so any help would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance for any input
Old 06-09-2010, 12:29 AM
4th Gen Parts King

Probably drop resister located on the strut tower behind the air box.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:37 AM

new tranny or used tranny?

what do u mean by hard shifting? Do u mean the car revs really high or revs neddlessly for a while longer than it needs to then slams into gear?? Seems to me like u have a sensor issue. I wd read through AT portion of the FSM to get some ideas. OD light flashes means something too. Check for codes and check FSM
Old 06-09-2010, 07:25 AM
Whatchyou say?

You'll actually need to look through the EC section of the FSM under MIL (malfunction indicator lamp) / Diagnosis. I agree with Cashoit, need a bit more description to really help you. Sounds like it could be a drop resistor issue, or possibly a bad TCM (trans cont mod). Pull the codes (AutoZone will do it for free) and then post back to us.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Maxima_Joe
Probably drop resister located on the strut tower behind the air box.
+1

I got hard shifting when the dropping resistor connector got covered in oil. The 2 pin connector (F35) is located to the left of the solenoid valve connector. Pages AT-11 and AT-19 in the FSM will help.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:53 PM

I replaced that resistor and shift was nice and smooth.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:37 PM

if its not the DR your TCM could have gone bad or... your trannys junk.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:56 PM

its a used tranny but its good.. by hard shifting i mean that when it changes from 1st to 2nd it feels like someone jus rear ended me..
I have a list of codes but the one that stands out the most to me is the throttle position sensor code/ AT

i know that definetly has something to do with it but i was told to adjust the sensor but i dont know how to do that also
Old 06-11-2010, 04:03 PM

its a hard shifting if i go slow on the pedal if i push hard on it i dont get the hard shifting the code i get is p1705
Old 06-11-2010, 06:38 PM

Where is a cheap source for a drop resistor?
Old 06-11-2010, 08:24 PM

od light blinking in that manner points out to a bad tcm which is located behind the radio section,
Old 06-11-2010, 11:03 PM

Im a cheap source for a Drop Resistor, but OTP'er has priority.

Also Search and you can find the procedure for recalibration of the TPS. Or download the FSM in my SIG.

But if Maxfever is correct go get a Cheap TCM from the yard!
Old 06-11-2010, 11:19 PM

OD light flashing is you MIL for the transmission. read in the FSM how to get transmission codes then retreive them and report back. and ya TPS well cause that for sure mine does it if i clean engine and get water in connector
Old 06-11-2010, 11:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by jholley
+1

I got hard shifting when the dropping resistor connector got covered in oil. The 2 pin connector (F35) is located to the left of the solenoid valve connector. Pages AT-11 and AT-19 in the FSM will help.
agreed
Old 06-12-2010, 09:04 AM

i got the same problem as op except my ses/cel isnt on so i have no codes or do i have to do something to pull them
Old 06-13-2010, 03:35 PM
Whatchyou say?

Originally Posted by mryoungfresh
its a used tranny but its good.. by hard shifting i mean that when it changes from 1st to 2nd it feels like someone jus rear ended me..
I have a list of codes but the one that stands out the most to me is the throttle position sensor code/ AT

i know that definetly has something to do with it but i was told to adjust the sensor but i dont know how to do that also
How did you come by this trans? Is it a rebuild, do you have a warranty? How's the fluid level? Check the TPS with a meter (instructions can be found in the FSM or a good search here on the .org).

Originally Posted by organ donor
OD light flashing is you MIL for the transmission. read in the FSM how to get transmission codes then retreive them and report back. and ya TPS well cause that for sure mine does it if i clean engine and get water in connector
This is what I told him to do as well .... did you go pull codes, what all did you come up with? A bad TCM will trip the OD light I do believe. That is it's CEL if you will. Also ^ you need to be more careful while washing ....

Originally Posted by 2000_MAXIMA_KING
i got the same problem as op except my ses/cel isnt on so i have no codes or do i have to do something to pull them
You should go to AutoZone and let them pull codes, some codes will not trip the CEL. KS is one of them. Also, check your fluid level, it's the most overlooked and easiest fix. You need to check the AT fluid with the car RUNNING, don't forget. Also, add fluid while it's running if it needs added.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:05 PM

jtzmax I did that they didnt pull anything and the level is good, I even drained a little out and added some lucas trans fix and at first I thought it got better but its the same. It seems like its worse in hotter weather but since I did the gab mod and have been feeling a better throttle response the hard shift isnt as hard especially if I accelerate at a continous pace its like it isnt even there any ideas man???
Old 06-13-2010, 08:17 PM

You the fsm to but the auto. Trans into output mode you will be watching the o/d light. Make sure you read the whole process then go back and do it step by step. Keep us posted
Old 06-13-2010, 08:19 PM

Ya I do got to be more careful when washing:d
Old 06-13-2010, 08:22 PM

O and autozone can't pull the rans codes. Even if they had machine to do it they probly could not figure out how to use. Most of them are dumb. But there are a few who know their stuff
Old 06-13-2010, 08:23 PM

O and quick question where is the "newthread" button
Old 06-13-2010, 09:06 PM

^^^^^
Old 06-13-2010, 11:51 PM
Whatchyou say?

Originally Posted by organ donor
O and quick question where is the "newthread" button
Wow .... I really hope you can drive an automobile (that's car in normal speak) better than you can use the English language! I don't even know what to say. Please, before you go starting a new thread, please, for the love of God - S E A R C H !!!! And, if you do feel the need to actually start a new thread, read the Sticky post about posting and thread titles - make it specific to the problem.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:57 AM

jtzmax I did that they didnt pull anything and the level is good, I even drained a little out and added some lucas trans fix and at first I thought it got better but its the same. It seems like its worse in hotter weather but since I did the gab mod and have been feeling a better throttle response the hard shift isnt as hard especially if I accelerate at a continous pace its like it isnt even there any ideas man???

O/D light blinking?? Post some more info about the issues you are experiencing. and info about the car u drive.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:56 AM

I feel you. Check the lower engine mounts for the transmission. But the O/D light, take out the cluster and check the bulb.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by cashoit
O/D light blinking?? Post some more info about the issues you are experiencing. and info about the car u drive.
nope no blinking. the issues are that it slams into gear when shifting and its worse in hotter weather but since I did the gab mod and i feel a better response from the throttle its a bit smoother now. it doesn't slip unless i try and floor it but it just hits every time it shifts from first to second. its a 00 automatic with 155k miles. it does this in all shifts but the first to second is more pronounced and almost always happens unlike the others that only happen 40% of the time.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by mas324
I feel you. Check the lower engine mounts for the transmission. But the O/D light, take out the cluster and check the bulb.
Bro SMALLER SIG PLEASE!!!!
Old 06-16-2010, 05:44 AM
Whatchyou say?

Originally Posted by mas324

Really, pull the cluster and check the bulb? Wow ... that's a new one. FTL!!!!

And, crop your sig picture, that's just rude~!~
Old 06-16-2010, 05:58 AM

nope no blinking. the issues are that it slams into gear when shifting and its worse in hotter weather but since I did the gab mod and i feel a better response from the throttle its a bit smoother now. it doesn't slip unless i try and floor it but it just hits every time it shifts from first to second. its a 00 automatic with 155k miles. it does this in all shifts but the first to second is more pronounced and almost always happens unlike the others that only happen 40% of the time.

Sounds like u having a sensor/solenoid/TCM issue too. I dont really read up on the AT cuz i have MT. But i wd take a look at the FSM to see if u get any ideas. I dont think its a mechanical issue, but if the sensor is located inside the tranny then thats labor cost. It jus sounds like some electrical contact is worn out.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:35 PM
Whatchyou say?

You can always take your car to several shops, let them drive it and tell you what they think is wrong with it. Doesn't mean they have to do the work, but it's a way to get second opinions (free) from someone who can actually look at / drive the car and feel the issues you describe. Just food for thought.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:43 PM

Its 100% your drop resistor. I purposly unplug mine at the track so that my tranny shifts faster and less heat builds up between shifts. Check the wires coming from the resister to make sure they are not cut. If they look fine then you'll need to replace it completely. I have a couple laying around if you need one. Just PM me.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by ajcool2
Its 100% your drop resistor. I purposly unplug mine at the track so that my tranny shifts faster and less heat builds up between shifts. Check the wires coming from the resister to make sure they are not cut. If they look fine then you'll need to replace it completely. I have a couple laying around if you need one. Just PM me.
Are you talking about my issue or are you talking to the OP?
Old 06-16-2010, 09:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

my problem was thr TPS i adjust it but wasnt getting the reading they told me i should get now my hard shifting is gone my only issue now is my rpm rev up a lil but shift a lil late... this is how it goes rpm rev trany respond a lil late
Old 06-16-2010, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by first to none
my problem was thr TPS i adjust it but wasnt getting the reading they told me i should get now my hard shifting is gone my only issue now is my rpm rev up a lil but shift a lil late... this is how it goes rpm rev trany respond a lil late
Wtf are you saying

********, and i thought my slang was bad
Old 06-17-2010, 06:08 AM

resistance accross drop resistor is 11-13 ohms.
Its a lil sensor/connector that is bolted behind air filter box on teh strut tower. It hooks up to solenoids that actuate your gears mechanically. U may have to remove the whole valve assembly or more likely line pressure solenoid. I dont think its your TPS because the car changes gear or drops from 4 to 2 during wot. If wot is acting up or car wasnt shifting then i say TPS. Either way, the FSM says to check TPS first then check everythin else next.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:14 AM

So how do I check these things???
Old 06-17-2010, 09:10 AM

The OP.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:50 PM

My car is doing the same thing too!! mine will shift good around town but when i get in that stop and go traffic thats when it'll start acting up, or if i drive with the A/C on it'll start acting up quicker. how much do drop resistors cost?
Old 06-20-2010, 11:43 AM

^^^ Yea mine acts up real bad in stop and go traffic too.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 2000 Nissan maxima the o/d light on the dash flashes 16 times what does that mean I also replaced the speed sensor and my mph still does not work why

Quick Reply: Hard Shifting and OverDrive Light Flashing!