4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

help with alarm system

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 07:01 AM

help with alarm system

Hi guys, I need some help with my 97 GXE's alarm system. When I bought the car second hand from someone, it had a "Clifford" aftermarket alarm installed. So, I think when the Clifford one was installed, the default Maxima panic button was disabled, because the panic button on my defualt NIssan remote doesn't work. However, the original owner said the Clifford system was disabled I think because it was touch/noise sensitive but it got really annoying for the family whenever it thundered outside hard and the car's alarm went off. Anyone have experience with Clifford alarms so that I could possibly turn it back on? or maybe get the default Nissan panic button to work again?
Old 06-16-2010, 07:15 AM

Is the panic button jus prolly disconnected.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by cashoit
Is the panic button jus prolly disconnected.
Ok, how would I reconnect it, if that is the case? Talk to me like you're talking to a complete beginner. I'm not super knowledgable about fixing things around the car ha.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:54 PM

Chances are if you're not experienced in working with cars, then you'll have no clue as to what to do under the dash to disconnect the clifford alarm. My advice is take it to a car audio shop, and have them turn the sensitivity down, and reactivate the clifford system. your problem with it going off for no reason will go away, and you'll get to use it again.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:40 AM

i never really understand why ppl get aftermarket alarm systems. They always an issue or jus plain annoying. Jus remember to remove radio face or stash it in the glove box when u park in bad neighborhoods.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by cashoit
i never really understand why ppl get aftermarket alarm systems. They always an issue or jus plain annoying. Jus remember to remove radio face or stash it in the glove box when u park in bad neighborhoods.
f*ck the radio...they'd try and take the whole car i'm sure...around here anyway lmaoo
Old 06-17-2010, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by MAXiPAD72O
f*ck the radio...they'd try and take the whole car i'm sure...around here anyway lmaoo

Damn lol
Old 06-27-2010, 09:53 PM

I just got a 98 Maxima and the previous owner had installed a cheap remote start (dont even know the brand - it was just a bare circuit board, only lettering was STARTER-PROTV2). It was hanging down from under the dash, and I was afraid of it causing issues, so I set about removing it (without any kind of wiring diagram, mind you)

It turned out to be much easier than I had imagined...I just followed the wires, and found where they had tapped into the ignition harness. Cut the wire, wrapped the ignition wire in electrical tape, lather rise and repeat until all the wires were gone. There were about 15 wires total that needed to be removed and insulated. The rest were specific to the system(such as the wire for the antenna), and I either removed them entirely, or abandoned them in place.

If you have a clifford alarm, this task should be easier, because I imagine you should be able to obtain a wiring diagram from the manufacturer(since you actually know who the manufacturer is), once you have this, simply work backwards to uninstall the system, and get back to the stock Nissan alarm...

One word of caution: I would recommend disco'ing the battery: otherwise its possible you might set off the alarm while you are removing it.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:05 PM

perhaps the alarm is in valet mode.