4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Exhaust System Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 04:05 PM

Exhaust System Advice

Hey all,

I have a 1999 Nissan Maxima SE that is going to need a new exhaust system at some point in the future. Everything is pretty rusted out and my flex pipe is fraying. There are no leaks so far, but things look like they could get bad in a hurry if my luck runs out any time soon. I also have a broken hanger bracket, but have been told a quick weld can fix that issue.

I'm not too great with cars, but I can get by with most basic things. I'd have to have something like this installed for me, and I don't want any local shops to rip me off, so I'm here seeking advice.

What would you guys recommend as far as replacement from front to back? Which parts will I need and how can I make sure I save the most money?

Any other tips or recommendations are quite welcome. Thanks in advance, everyone!
Old 06-22-2010, 05:59 PM

mexicans do a good job and are usually resonable. out here we have velazquez just make sure you watch them some times they dont have the greatest ideas like welding next to a gas tank
Old 06-23-2010, 10:10 AM

Not another exhaust thread......

u gotta do a SEARCH....There are Sooooo many threads AND a FAQ about what to get and which is best.

Thats being sd, if u want namebrand go with greddy catback, magnaflow cat, warpspeed ypipe, magnaflow resonator.

If u wanna save some bucks then get the SS no-name exhausts from ebay. They work just as good for a fraction of the cost.

someone please
Old 06-23-2010, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by maxed_out_99
mexicans do a good job and are usually resonable. out here we have velazquez just make sure you watch them some times they dont have the greatest ideas like welding next to a gas tank
I heard that we Americans do a good job and are sometimes reasonable but I dont know how true that is.I also hear its a bunch of American Shops too...
Old 06-23-2010, 11:53 AM

I don't think he's looking for brands, I think he's asking what parts in the exhaust are most likely to need to be changed. I get the feeling he is just going to replace them with OEM parts and not anything aftermarket/performance.

I would help you out, but I don't know enough about it. Sry.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by 98Maximo
I don't think he's looking for brands, I think he's asking what parts in the exhaust are most likely to need to be changed. I get the feeling he is just going to replace them with OEM parts and not anything aftermarket/performance.

I would help you out, but I don't know enough about it. Sry.
Yessir, you hit it spot on. I don't know what to buy part-wise, or if OEM or aftermarket would be more cost effective.

If anyone can help, it'd be great!
Old 06-23-2010, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by memphisballer
I heard that we Americans do a good job and are sometimes reasonable but I dont know how true that is.I also hear its a bunch of American Shops too...
i dont know who told you that pfft... jk. i just think the mexis are cheap
Old 06-23-2010, 05:27 PM

if you take it to a shop, its going to be more expensive. To be honest, I would get a new oem flex section and have it welded at the shop. Then I would go with a warpspeed y pipe and you can install that yourself. Get a magnaflow muffler. As for the other small parts, just have the shop do that as well. If you are inexperienced, then dont even try to do a job like this, especially if you dont have a lift.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:50 AM

My other car is an older Jeep Wrangler and it cost me $150 to get the flex pipe and new muffler installed at Midas. The muffler was under warranty, so without that it would have been an additional $60 or so.

Granted this car is completely different, but that's a general idea of the price you are looking at. Please note, that didn't include having the catalytic converter changed. I believe that would have been about another $150.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by xiton
What would you guys recommend as far as replacement from front to back? Which parts will I need and how can I make sure I save the most money?

Any other tips or recommendations are quite welcome. Thanks in advance, everyone!
If u need an entire exhaust from front to back then now is the perfect time to go aftermarket.

The stock y-pipe will be hard or damn near impossible to find new and will prolly cost a lot more than aftermaket y-pipe.

Stock catalytical converter will def cost more than aftermarket.

Stock muffler or rear section may cost the same as aftermarket but wont be cheaper.

Either way, the most cost effective option is to get aftermaket ebay stuff. Dont worry about exhaust stuff. U can cheap out a bit cuz its jus exhaust. Its not a super critical system.

That being sd, if u want to let meinke do it then it may cost over 1000 bucks for complete stock replacement. prolly 1500 bucks for everything.

Aftermarket ebay exhaust will prolly cost 800 for everything.
Aftermarket namebrand prolly cost 1000 for everything.

Anything u get will come with all the bolts u need. Or at least make sure they are before u order lol. Dont foget the hangers too. Labor should be 150-200 bucks to install.

Hope this helps
Old 06-24-2010, 01:45 PM

I would go to 1-2 shops and get estimates for how much it would all cost (if they even need to replace it all). That will give you a baseline idea for how much the top end should be. Then you can go about finding out ways to make it cheaper, and can compare the shop part costs to ebay, etc.