4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Replaced water pump and suddenly car will not start...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 09:57 PM

Replaced water pump and suddenly car will not start...

hey there all! sorry i been gone so long.

Well, here is the story, my wife and kid have been driving the 96 for a few months now, and i been lovin my turd gen, but recently they told me that the engine started making a loud noise, (one which i have not had the pleasure of hearing) and even more recently they said that the noise was even worse and it started over heating (according to them it hit the redline but then they cut it off to prevent from running it over red). So (stupidly) i just assumed that i knew what the problem was. I started it and pulled it into the garage. (no mystry noise for me to hear) I assumed that the issue they were describing along with the overheating it must be that the water pump was going. So i hunkered down and replaced it. (what a pita btw) with that done i also replaced the hoses (eh why not right?) and filled the radiator....

... the radiator had a pretty serious leak. *sigh* ... So i replaced the radiator too. So Im thinking "good all done" Jumped in and tried to start it up when i hear this VERY loud knocking noise comming from the motor and the car would not start. I start thinking that I must have screwed the pooch while replacing the water pump and i jump a tooth on the timing...

With nothing short of dread and fear that i just totaly wrecked the motor, I immediatly stopped trying to start it and began the process of pullin the timing cover. Well, I hate working in the cramped location that this cover it at, so i just pulled the motor out. (i know over kill, but wth its a lot easier to work on while on a stand) I examined the timing chain and to my astonishment, its fine. (infact when i pulled the cover the marks were all lined up on the sprockets and everything, yeah me!)

So I hopped on here and started looking for an answer. Found some stuff about the tensioner, but after lookin at my other motor (also on a stand) that tensioner seemed weak also, so perhaps that is not the issue (may still be but at $70 for the replacement and already over $300 into this repair i am tired of wasting $$ on parts that only "might" fix it)

I turned the motor manualy and i did notice that about 2 - 3 times per rotation the timing chain tensioner arm would slap into the tensioner making a fairly loud clacking noise. I learned that the tensioner is enhanced by the oil preasure (there is none atm as the motor is on the stand) so perhaps this is why i am getting this noise right now? so what was the noise i heard that i mistook for the timing chaing being off (kinda like the pistons slapping the valves; hence my concern)?

So i realize this is long winded, but i figured i'd tell you everything that i could think of before you all start asking questions. Also, this *may* belong in "All Motor", if a moderator thinks so, please move it for me?

Thanks again all, if you have any questions, please ask!

-cs

feel free to call me at until 11pm westcoast 2am eastcoast at
(seven seven five) two,three,three - two,seven,four,five (reno,nv)

Last edited by cvsmaxima; 06-25-2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:17 AM

pics??? video???
Old 06-26-2010, 12:22 AM

I cant think of anything off the top of my head that would cause those symptoms with the chain still in place.

To be honest if it were me since you already have the engine out I would pick up a newer engine and swap it in and call it a day. This should take care of your problem and perhaps add a few years onto your car. But in the end its all about how patient you are and how much money you want to put into this car. Good luck!
Old 06-26-2010, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Feldman
I cant think of anything off the top of my head that would cause those symptoms with the chain still in place.

To be honest if it were me since you already have the engine out I would pick up a newer engine and swap it in and call it a day. This should take care of your problem and perhaps add a few years onto your car. But in the end its all about how patient you are and how much money you want to put into this car. Good luck!

this is a replacement already. I swapped a motor from a 98 with only ~70k on it last year. Granted it has already been given another 30k but i can't immagine that its time again. my 91 has over 200k.

anyone else?
Old 06-26-2010, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
pics??? video???
sorry it already disassembled. video would be kinda worthless. if you wants pics, just tell me of what...
Old 06-27-2010, 01:15 AM

wow.. for as many opioniated people are on here, i was really hopin for something more then this :-\

I will check back here before i try anything else, but at this point unless i get hear somthing, i will just try putting it all back in the car tommorow afternoon.\, and ty to get some video for ya.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:13 PM

the loud knocking noise will be the tensioner building up pressure again. as far as the car not starting, i'm pretty much in the same boat, i replaced my timing tensioner and now the car won't start. :/
Old 07-03-2010, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by mywhitewolf
the loud knocking noise will be the tensioner building up pressure again. as far as the car not starting, i'm pretty much in the same boat, i replaced my timing tensioner and now the car won't start. :/

Changing a tensioner does not cause your car to not start after replacing. Check your CKPS (POS) and (REF) sensors and make sure they ohm out correctly and free of debris and try again.