4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Starter problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 07:46 AM
Max40

Starter problems

Yesterday my Maxima SE was having trouble starting. When I put the key in the ignition all I heard was a click. My car was not in the shade and inside was very hot. After a couple of turns with my ignition key the car started with no problems. Stopped the car a couple of times, turned the key no issues. However on the third stop it did the same thing but started on the second try of the ignition key. I did have a thread here on how my 15 year old ignition key was worn and I had the same problem but worked with a newer key. I am now starting to wonder if the starter is going bad? I replaced the switch a couple of years ago and no problems. I just don't want to get stuck as starters will leave you in the cold.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:20 AM

Test your ignition switch with a multimeter. It could be going bad. If it needs to be changed its like $25. My car was a 96 and I had to change it out.

EDIT:
Old 07-03-2010, 10:09 AM

I had this problem as well.
I got if fixed with a new starter, and soon, I will need a new battery. Coincidence that both are going at the same time, with the starter going first. I have yet to change the battery.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:34 PM

The ignition switches do go bad much too frequently on the 4th gen, but if you are hearing a click when you turn the key, then the ignition switch is working. if a key is so worn that it is bad, then it will not allow you to turn the ignition switch. If you can turn the ignition switch, its not a key problem.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:01 PM

Just shooting in the dark here but:
You said the car was in the sun and very hot.
I remember reading on the org that if it doesnt start, try opening the gas cap and letting the hot air escape. Idk, why, but i read it lol.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:12 PM

My 2000 maxima dose this too. Some times it mite just be your battery depending on tempature. i know when its cold batterys if not relativey new will start to have some problems possibly when its hot if you have your air conditoner on at start up it will put a lil more strain on your battery from right off the start . check your battery date see if its over or geting close to the 3 yr mark
Old 07-05-2010, 06:45 PM

Mine was doing an strange noise at first, the it was just doing *click* and no no, so i just replace the starter and battery, now its fine, but that was me, it could be the same for you.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:40 PM

Yes, I think this is a starter issue.

I am thinking this is the starter going out. The reason I am here at Maxima.org today is because my '96 is doing the EXACT same thing. Sometimes it starts 100% fine. Sometimes I turn the key and -click-, then on the second try it starts fine. Sometimes it takes 3 tries. A couple times I have gotten -nothing- and had to let the car sit for an hour or so, then it would start fine.However, i do NOT think this is a temp related problem.

I believe this is unrelated, but, I just replaced my battery today. The battery I replaced was an Interstate brand battery. I bought it new in December of 2007. The replacement under 'pro-rata' warranty was done at a cost of $58.32.

As soon as I turned the key with the brand new battery -CLICK-, then on the second try it started 100% fine.

I did for sure need a battery, I had 2 different people put 2 different testers on it. Alternator charging fine, no abnormal drain when the car is off, battery was just worn out.

The guy that installed my battery says he has seen this issue with Nissan starters. He said they have a brass coating on the gear in the starter. He said that brass coating will wear thin in places causing the intermittent problem.

I am planning on buying a starter. I will likely get it from Poway Nissan in California. They have a discount OEM parts program. REAL good prices. Site is NissanParts2U.com
Old 07-05-2010, 10:14 PM

Mine did that for a while, replaced battery. Continued, and bam, starter died, replaced. Now it has a misfire occastionally, I think its a coil pack, but when I tried to get the cylinder to replace the coil on, I got a ignition circuit code, this is a "ghost code" and will not trigger the CEL. So try running ur light and see if you get that code. FYI my car does the samething, I have to turn the key 2-3 times to get it to start, but brand new starter and such, its ignition circuit.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:32 PM

I chased the same problem for months, and finally figured it out. There's a slot in the ignition switch that fits into a little T shaped flanged in the steering column. As these cars get older, they develop a little slop between the flange and the ignition switch, and sometimes turning the key doesn't quiiiiite make the ignition switch go far enough over. I solved it by putting a tiny piece of electrical tape in the slot on the switch, like this:
If you're having the problem frequently, you can also test by taking the ignition switch out of the column and using a screwdriver in the slot to start it. If it works every time, this is probably your problem.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:43 PM

OP - on your 'battery' being 'part of the issue' - it could very well be, I've noticed the weather up there is rather hot, and I know that it's harder on cars that are sold up north when they have hotter than normal summers.

I want to get a few solar cells and mount them in a place that gets sun, but not to take away from my cars 'white' look - and power a small under hood fan aimed at the battery.

I've some other ideas too, since it's hot most of the year here in Florida.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by DBear
I chased the same problem for months, and finally figured it out. There's a slot in the ignition switch that fits into a little T shaped flanged in the steering column. As these cars get older, they develop a little slop between the flange and the ignition switch, and sometimes turning the key doesn't quiiiiite make the ignition switch go far enough over. I solved it by putting a tiny piece of electrical tape in the slot on the switch, like this:
If you're having the problem frequently, you can also test by taking the ignition switch out of the column and using a screwdriver in the slot to start it. If it works every time, this is probably your problem.
My wifes car is doing the same thing, but I can turn the key sometimes 12 times, and it wont go, then magically, it decides it has had enough, and will start. I will do a search as to how to remove this part, and give it your test. Im afraid to look up the cost of a starter..lol
Old 07-07-2010, 01:43 PM
100 posts/7 years - woot!

original starter on a 95? I'd just expect it's time to replace it, if only for peace of mind.

starter for 95 on everythingnissan.com = $194

at autozone = $120 (40 core charge)

labor = 1/2 hour, no more than an hour even for a novice, it's easy and accessible, only basic tools required
Old 07-09-2010, 05:44 AM
Max40

Great threads guys but I think the starter finally gave out today.

My 95 SE was starting fine this week even with the 100 deg+ temps and the car was sitting at the train station with no shade. This morning tried the key 3-4 times wouldn't start. Tried a brand new key, same thing.

I am going to try the screwdriver method to see if it's that. Looking through my repair records I replaced the starter in 2001. I put in a Nissan OEM starter.

Good thing it happened at home. Nonetheless, with the clicking noise, strong battery (pretty new), replaced the ignition switch a couple of years ago, I think my starter is shot.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:22 AM

Replaced starter yesterday, fingers crossed.

Even though I was not 110% sure my starter was the culprit for my symptoms (see earlier post in this thread), I replaced the starter.

My mechanic buddy said he was pretty sure it was the starter.

We took off everything we needed to remove to put a test light on the starter, then we could not replicate the problem.

I went out on a limb, and replaced the starter.

Have not seen the problem again since, but it was just yesterday.

Fingers crossed. Will try to post again with an update in a week or so.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:29 AM

thanks for the updates, I took my wifes steering column apart, just to see what will be involved when we get the part, and I found there was a little play up and down on the bracket, well I seen what I needed to see, put it back together, and weird...it has always started now at the turn of the key...so for us, I have to be almost 100% positive the switch is just wore out..lol. we will find out soon.....
Old 11-17-2010, 04:56 PM

I have the same issue, but no clicking. I have to start it 2 or 3 times for it to crank usually.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Laoboi
I have the same issue, but no clicking. I have to start it 2 or 3 times for it to crank usually.
I forgot to update, but for us the switch cured the problem.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Starter Problems With Nissan Maxima 1997

For some reason my starter just decided to go out on me I believe because every time I try to start my car when its really hot outside it won't start until like the 3rd Or 2nd try my battery is old but I took it to auto zone to get it fully charged so I DONT think its my battery .. Could someone tell me the price of starter For 97 Nissan Maxima Please I Need Help!
Old 06-23-2015, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by deegentry
Could someone tell me the price of starter For 97 Nissan Maxima Please I Need Help!
$142.99 (+) tax (-) a $12.00 core charge.