4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Transmission is dying ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 06:58 PM

Transmission is dying ???

the transmission in my 99 I30 went crazy this afternoon:

I was showing 2 mechanics how the click sound comes up when gear shifts. So I ****ted gear between R and D quickly for about 40 times. After I left the shop, I parked in frond of an auto zone for a while. Then When I was leaving, putting tranny on R but not moving yet, I heard transmission was shifting between gears by itself, continuously. I had to put tranny on P to stop it being crazy. I turned off engine for a while and it went off. But it happened again when I stopped before a light.

How come transmission shift by itself even the car is not moving? computer problem? Any input is much appreciated. I had an engine swap last year, don't want a transmission swap

transmission fluid is still pink, clear and at normal level. The click sound has been there for half a year. When tranny shifts between gears so that the car accelerate or decelerate quickly, I can hear the click sound immediately after gear shifts. It's like it happens when gear get engaged or dis-engaged.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by kisas
the transmission in my 99 I30 went crazy this afternoon:

I was showing 2 mechanics how the click sound comes up when gear shifts. So I ****ted gear between R and D quickly for about 40 times. After I left the shop, I parked in frond of an auto zone for a while. Then When I was leaving, putting tranny on R but not moving yet, I heard transmission was shifting between gears by itself, continuously. I had to put tranny on P to stop it being crazy. I turned off engine for a while and it went off. But it happened again when I stopped before a light.

How come transmission shift by itself even the car is not moving? computer problem? Any input is much appreciated. I had an engine swap last year, don't want a transmission swap

transmission fluid is still pink, clear and at normal level. The click sound has been there for half a year. When tranny shifts between gears so that the car accelerate or decelerate quickly, I can hear the click sound immediately after gear shifts. It's like it happens when gear get engaged or dis-engaged.
there is a computer that controls the automatic transmission that may be bad get the fsm and start testing
Old 07-11-2010, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by luke95gxe
there is a computer that controls the automatic transmission that may be bad get the fsm and start testing
you are the only one who are not watching the final. lol

But I don't have engine light on
Old 07-11-2010, 04:26 PM

The check engine light does not store codes for your transmission. Your O/D light does. Did you notice it flashing up to the events you are having now??
Old 07-11-2010, 09:50 PM

The O/D light seems to be all right. It never went on until I push the button.

Originally Posted by Trini Boom
The check engine light does not store codes for your transmission. Your O/D light does. Did you notice it flashing up to the events you are having now??
Old 07-12-2010, 08:37 AM

The O/D light seems to be all right. It never went on until I push the button.
Ok I understand that but when you put your key in and turn it to on before starting your car, was it flashing at any given time? If not, you will need access to the FSM and follow the procedure to retrieve the codes from the TCM.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:15 PM

Thank you Trini, I will check it when I get back to my car this evening.

you will need access to the FSM and follow the procedure to retrieve the codes from the TCM.
by this, you mean, I need to check the Factory Service Manual to retrieve code from the Transmission Control Module ? Can auto zone do this ? Thanks
Old 07-12-2010, 01:22 PM

i hate auto trans
Old 07-12-2010, 02:37 PM

Thank you Trini, I will check it when I get back to my car this evening.

by this, you mean, I need to check the Factory Service Manual to retrieve code from the Transmission Control Module ? Can auto zone do this ? Thanks
No, autozone cannot do this for you. If you do not have the FSM, look in FallenOne's sig and you should be good.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:57 PM

I checked the O/D light when starting, it's ok, went on for two second and went off. Now the transmission seems to be fine. But I will get a chance to check the TCM code.

Thanks

Originally Posted by Trini Boom
No, autozone cannot do this for you. If you do not have the FSM, look in FallenOne's sig and you should be good.